PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-30-2011, 04:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.60 MB
More russian modules

Zarya finished, Zvezda finished apart from the debris panels and about half way through MRM-2. Next up, ATV.

I did build the frame for MRM-2, but when I tried to assemble the rings around the frame, none of the rings fit, they all had a gap. So I just built it without the internal frame.

It's great to be back building this again, it's good to see other members taking up the build and it's interesting to see all the modifications all you guys are doing.

Sorry about the photo being a bit bright, I've got a new DSLR and the flash is a bit to much for close up work. Also I need to figure out how to get macro photos with it, this is about as close as I can get with the lens I have.
Attached Thumbnails
The International Space Station Thread-img_0110.jpg  
Old 05-31-2011, 02:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice work Paul. The problem with Alfonso's design for PIRS and POISK is that it includes a "shaft" interior to the structure, for docking. That design means it's tough to get the sizes of the structure right. I modified the design to simply be solid inside, with each part gluing all the way up the middle, interior of the structure.

My magnetic docking systems doesn't need any shafts - so the key to my system is ensuring the end-plates of the docking rings are straight and true.

It does rely on me gluing the magnets correctly though - and I had a disaster last night when the epoxy had just about set and I discovered the magnets for HTV dock were repelling rather than attracting! ACK! Managed to fix it though. Phew.

I am now seriously thinking about rebuilding Zvezda and Zarya. They were the first models I made, and the quality isn't terribly good. Plus, I think I like Alfonso's design better than Raimondo's.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
great job Sir Paul!! gonna start mine 2day.......
Old 06-03-2011, 08:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
I haven't read through this entire thread, but... has anyone attempted to rework the nose of the otherwise fabulous AXM orbiter models? I'm planning on building them, and on reworking it myself if I have to, but I have no shame in admitting I'd rather lean on someone else with more experience if I can.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabeer View Post
has anyone attempted to rework the nose of the otherwise fabulous AXM orbiter models?
If you are looking for a more detailed Orbiter model at 1:100 - the original shuttle built for the ISS model by Raimondo Fortezza is still available somewhere on the web. If you can't find it, come back here and ask me to upload the files for you.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:34 PM

Scale of models - Take care!

Hi people, just a quick reminder to ensure you have the scale of models correct when printing. I am currently rebuilding Kibo module because the original was somewhat too small. The diameter of the modules was about 3mm too small compared to the other main shuttle-delivered parts.

Currently, on Alfonso's web site, both KIBO and the QUEST airlock need to be printed at 105% size to make them the correct diameter.

I have asked Alfonso to update the page code for each module, informing people of the scale issue, and resolution for each part. He has said he will update the actual download files once the ISS is complete.
--------------------------------------------------

On a different topic, I have FINALLY managed to build a PMA of Alfonso's design which I am not ashamed to stick on my ISS model! (I have really struggled trying to build them in the past.)

It was not easy. The trouble I had encountered in the past is that the octagonal base of the first section would not glue down flat onto the base while retaining the perfect octagonal shape. To get around this I used some VERY heavy black card for the base, to prevent it (the base) warping at all. I found that the base would not glue down perfectly flat again, so just fudged it with lots of glue once it had been initially located.

Once the base was glued down correctly, I inserted small sections of match-stick cut to length, and glued these onto the ribs of the base section for added strength.

I modified the top (circular) section for added strength, too, and molded the docking wings to more closely match the real items. I'll post some pics later tonight.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Modelling thought #18,651:

When I am building circular components, whether they be small or large, I insert one or more circles of card into them to ensure roundness. I take quite a bit of time to ensure an interior circle is the correct size to hold the shape (not too large, that will cause a module to bulge around the disc). This applies especially to small components like docking rings, and tapered sections as well as the main bodies of modules.

For small parts I simply push the circle to the bottom of the ring, and glue in place. For larger parts I often insert two or more internal circles. To ensure I don't "lose" a circle inside a module, a piece of toilet roll, cut to length is the perfect internal spacer (not glued!) as a TP roll is slightly smaller than the internal diameter of the modules.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
Hi people, just a quick reminder to ensure you have the scale of models correct when printing. I am currently rebuilding Kibo module because the original was somewhat too small. The diameter of the modules was about 3mm too small compared to the other main shuttle-delivered parts.

Currently, on Alfonso's web site, both KIBO and the QUEST airlock need to be printed at 105% size to make them the correct diameter.

I have asked Alfonso to update the page code for each module, informing people of the scale issue, and resolution for each part. He has said he will update the actual download files once the ISS is complete.
--------------------------------------------------

On a different topic, I have FINALLY managed to build a PMA of Alfonso's design which I am not ashamed to stick on my ISS model! (I have really struggled trying to build them in the past.)
good thing i just started my new one! and you made alfonso's PMA!!!!!!!!goood job. the warping was a problem, but nothing too major
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
If you are looking for a more detailed Orbiter model at 1:100 - the original shuttle built for the ISS model by Raimondo Fortezza is still available somewhere on the web. If you can't find it, come back here and ask me to upload the files for you.
Thanks, but I do have Fortezza's 1:100 Endeavour model. Unless you happen to be in posession of the high quality files... I have the high-quality files for the repaints for the other orbiters, but only the low-quality files for the base orbiter - and the two qualities don't match when printed.

The AXM models are in my queue to be done eventually, so I'll tackle the redesign then, unless someone else already has one available.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:30 AM

HQ Fortezza Space Shuttle

I will list the file sizes I have below, and if they are higher than yours they're probably what you need. I opened them, and they *are* superbly detailed PDF files...

atlantis_shuttle_paper3_bis.pdf - 2,952KB
atlantis_shuttle_paper_1.pdf - 2,285KB
atlantis_shuttle_paper_6bis.pdf - 1,588KB
shuttle_manual_global.pdf - 4,029KB
space_shuttle2.pdf - 62KB
space_shuttle4.pdf - 347KB
space_shuttle5_rev1.pdf - 260KB
space_shuttle7_rev1.pdf - 350KB
space_shuttle8_rev1.pdf - 326KB
space_shuttle9.pdf - 1,997KB
space_shuttle10.pdf - 92KB
space_shuttle11.pdf - 102KB
space_shuttle12.pdf - 455KB

Please let me know if you would like me to upload the files, and I will. Please also be aware that all my images might disappear from the site for a day or so, as my web host shifts to a location with 150 times as much storage as I currently have. Cheers.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
I will list the file sizes I have below, and if they are higher than yours they're probably what you need. I opened them, and they *are* superbly detailed PDF files...
Oddly, the high-res files I have aren't any larger than the low-res. I think it has to do with the nature of the vector graphics used. The only way I can tell the difference is by printing them - although I'm sure someone else knows how to tell without printing.

For example, space_shuttle6.pdf, the "original", low-res Endeavor right wing, is 364 kb. endeavour6w.pdf, the worm logo right wing that I'd rather build, is 346 kb.

The sizes you list, however, match the sizes I have exactly, so I suspect you have the low-res files as well. From what I've heard someone does have the high-res files, but they got them directly from Mr. Fortezza rather than downloading them from the internet somewhere.