PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-01-2008, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 155.43 MB
The International Space Station Thread

Ok it seems that there's not much folks here are diggin' the ISS as a model subject, I've read the archived thread (am I right?) about the MARSCenter ISS model (by Dr. Raimondo Fortezza), but after a few posts, it stopped...

(Overview of the AXM Paper Space Scale Models)

But just more or less a year or so ago, a good friend of ours and real space model designer Alfonso X. Moreno (I guess many here have heard about him, especially cardmodels.net members here) stepped up with a massive project, to design 1/144 scale models concerning the whole shuttle program (with great references to boot).

From his project, he designed all of the orbiters, from Enterprise to Endeavour, with each one available in different versions, specific to which shuttle mission the orbiters have flown. He also included the SRBs and ET, also treated the same way as the shuttle, with mission-specific details.

But wait, that doesn't stop there, he also designed the Crawler Transporter (both in Apollo and Shuttle era details and markings) and the STS Mobile Launch Platform (also with mission specific details).

BTW, all of the above are for the amazing price of $0.00 - also called free for you and me :D

Of course, the project needs some form of funding, so there's one part of his project that require a small fee ($4.50 to be exact, very affordable for any modeler's viewpoint). That part is the payloads. Yup, his goal is to actually replicate every payload that the Shuttle flew from STS-1 to its final mission in 2010 in their respective missions. In real space modeling, this is a first, from my knowledge, nobody has ever attempted this...

However, as promotion to his project, there are a considerable number of mission payloads that he made available for free as well...

and due to his project, his project for the International Space Station was conceived. He plans to design a very accurate but easy to assemble 1/144 scale model of the ISS, including all of the shuttle missions that flew in contribution to the program (including all Shuttle resupply flights).

Like the mission payload models, most of the parts are priced just like the other mission payloads, but again, some of them are for free as well...

And before I forgot, his ISS will also have a 1/100 scale version, which will be available to those who purchased the mission payload files for the ISS (of course, the 1/100 scale components for the freebie payload files are for free as well)

And as of this moment, he's focused on this project for the moment... At cardmodels.net, sir Alfonso decided to push through the ISS project to help the ones who were building the MARSCenter ISS update their models to the current configuration of the space station.

ok here's a rundown of the current available payload files for the ISS related missions:

STS-88 (flight 2A)

STS-92 (flight 3A)

STS-97 (flight 4A)

STS-98 (flight 5A)

STS-102 (flight 5A.1)

STS-104 (flight 7A)
Google Adsense
Old 08-01-2008, 08:57 AM

STS-114 (flight ULF-1 - Return to Flight 1) [Free download]

STS-121 (flight ULF 1.1 - Return to Flight 2) [Free download]

STS-120 (flight 10A) [Free download]

STS-122 (flight 1E)

STS-123 (flight 1J/A)

STS-124 (flight 1J) [Free Download]

As of this moment, he's working on the rest of the Integrated Truss Structure, SSRMS and other important components to enable anyone building the MARSCenter ISS to update their models to the post flight 1J configuration.

Also, as a great addition, the great model designer Ton Noteboom also designed ESA's Automated Transfer Vehicle in 1/100 scale.

get it from our friend, mr. Jonathan Leslie's site: http://jleslie48.com

for our newbie friends, here's where you will get these:

http://www.axmpaperspacescalemodels.com

and again, the MARScenter scale models of Dr. Fortezza page:

http://www.marscenter.it/veicol.asp?pa=605
(english version of the page unavailable, yet)
(currently, the joint airlock (Quest) is offline, probably undergoing refinements in the design)

Hopefully this thread will be the place here for our fellows to post their scale models of the station...

I hope you guys enjoy sir Alfonso's, sir Ton's and Dr. Fortezza's models

I'll be putting up mine soon... :D
Old 08-01-2008, 07:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 220.03 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to axm61
To all,

Hans has surprised me again by starting this ISS thread, just as he did at the other forum where I'm also a member.
I want to take this opportunity to thank Hans Christian for this wonderful presentation about my website and my current ISS project.
I have to say that Hans is one of those very few forum members, that has followed my work and appreciate what I do since I went online 2 years ago and that's the reason why so many visitors have come to know about my site. Nonetheless, because of the time involved in researching and designing these models I had to find some way of funding this whole project by charging a small amount for each Shuttle payload.
Of course I have noticed that still for many the amount of $ 4.50 is too much. To give a balance to my site, I decided to give away for free other projects such as the Crawler and Mobile Launch Platform and not to mention the whole Shuttle fleet and stack, all for free.
Still, the response is not there.
I really want everybody to have access to all my work and perhaps in the near future I might only ask for a donation.
Hopefully this thread will receive the importance it deserves and many others will continue visiting this page.

Thank you, Hans.

Alfonso
Old 08-02-2008, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Hello, Alfonso and Hans!

The models being developed by Alfonso look extremely well done and I've been checking in on the site from time to time and enjoying what I see very much. As if the entire fleet of shuttles, launchers and now crawler platform and the such wasn't treat enough, now the space station?

For a novice like myself, however, is there any instructions or diagrams which show how the verious modules fit together to form the international space station? Maybe a little sketch to show where the parts fit and how far along the space station is with each new part?

Is it possible to construct the space station using the 1/144 scale parts?

Keep up the superb work as I know many out there are very interested in this project, despite the apparent lack of posts...just look at the number of view versus posts. Fear not, lurkers like myself are watching from the wings.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 08-03-2008, 04:22 AM

To sir Alfonso

Welcome to the papermodelers.com forum sir!!!

no need to thank me sir, your work deserves that attention!!!

Hmmm... no response huh... That fact just made me more determined to make my article about your efforts for FSM... :D

To sir Jim

You can use NASA's on-orbit pic documentation of the construction of the ISS - you can find it here - NASA Human Space Flight :D

you can also use wikipedia's pages to guide you tothe assembly process, since they have computer model pics of the configurations of the ISS, just start from STS-88 onwards and you're set!!!

Each Shuttle payload file concerning an ISS mission has two parts included, one is the payload bay configuration of the modules/components (the way they appear while sitting in the shuttle's guts... errr cargo bay :D), and the other is the space station configuration - in other words, this is how the modules/components appear when they are added to the ISS

The payload bay configuration and the space station configuration are separate models BTW, meaning you can build the entire payload for the shuttle, at the same time build the ISS!!!

Guys watch out, from sir Alfonso himself, the next payload file would be for the STS-100 mission, the one that carried Canada's SSRMS!!!
Google Adsense
Old 08-03-2008, 02:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.60 MB
Great to see these promoted on here.

I think it's time to spread my wings a bit and start a thread on my payload/ISS builds on here as well. Thanks to Alfonso for designing the models and letting us build them.

GO NASA.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Any way to get Alfonso's excellent looking payload kits other than thru PayPal? I'd love to have these kits, but refuse to deal with or expose my credit account numbers to those criminal bastages again.

Currently working on: ISS
Old 08-03-2008, 02:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.60 MB
I've used paypal for years, never had any problems. Paypal is great for me as I don't want a credit card, been stung by a credit card a long time ago. And that was not using the internet, but ordering over the phone.

Some of the payloads are free, have a look at those first. There are 10 payloads and various ISS payloads free.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Thank you very much, Hans!

I now have a better idea of the assembly sequence.

It seems that Alfonso's downloads might not include all of the parts, particularly those launched by others than the space shuttle, or am it missing something? For instance, I don't see a Zarya download on his pages. Of course, I could look toward the Marscenter site, particuarly since that is also in 1/100 scale...is this what you're doing, Hans?

Thanks again!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 08-03-2008, 08:52 PM

Hi again sir!!!

sir Alfonso's doing the entire ISS, not just the modules and other components that are flown by the shuttle...

As of now, he's still focusing on getting the necessary pieces so that modelers making the MARScenter ISS can update theirs to the post STS-124 (flight 1J) sequence, after that, he will proceed with the rest, including the Russian Modules, and other necessary pieces that are flown by launchers other than the Shuttle :D

But I think at least 1 Russian piece will be done earlier, since the MARScenter ISS doesn't have it yet - the Docking Compartment, a.k.a. Pirs, and the STRELA mini cranes... :D

As we all know, only 3 major Russian modules are in the ISS; Zarya, Zvezda, and Pirs... Hopefully, they will add another one by next year...

And yes sir, I'm doing the MARScenter ISS currently, but I have already added some important pieces into it that came from sir Alfonso's models, particularly details that are missing from the MARScenter model, like the Power & Data Grapple Fixtures (PDGFs), External Stowage Platform (ESP) 1, Lab Cradle Assembly (a small truss-like mounting above the US Lab module, where the S-0 truss will sit) etc.

sir Alfonso's trusses would be interesting to add there!!!

Last edited by Hans Christian; 08-03-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Google Adsense