PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
Thanks for the kind words - and the info on the collar.
I have almost finished the build now. Pictures will follow later today. The tail rotor is on, still being able to spin, just by blowing. I really like that I managed to get that done with just glueing the rotorblades in an angle to the center part. The winch is done but has to be put on the helo yet. The main rotors are assembled (lots of parts!) and were reinforced with CA. I yet have to drill a little hole in the center for attachment to the axle that spins in the brass tube I placed inside the hull.

And then, of course, there will be Gus. Good old Gus, trying to keep his head out of the water. That's the last part. And then it is onward to the next project. Of which I still have to ponder and muse a bit.

As said, pictures will follow later.
I can't wait to see you duplicate that crew cut at this scale... LOL

Later and KUTGW!!! OL JR
Old 11-02-2011, 01:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.90 MB

Hi PK

A genius .......!!!!
Merzo

Old 11-02-2011, 06:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
I agree with Merzo -- a genius!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Finished!

Well, thank you all very much.
I'm happy to inform you lot I have finished the diorama.
Gus was very easy. Only his upper part of his torso would be above water so I didn't bother making legs. I drilled a little hole in the "water" and painted the insides dark blue. Then I inserted Gus, painted silver, fleshtones and orange for the neck dam, into the acryl paste filled hole. If there would be anything visible beneath the surface it would be silvery, like the suit. This afternoon when I got home it was dried and it didn't show anything underneath worth mentionable. Just Gus, in the water, looking quite realistic. At least, realistic enough for 1/96 in my book.

The Sea Horse was given some extra strengthening cables to the underside. I made them by CA-ing sewing thread until it became hard and easy to cut and place agaings the hull and the central cable. (I glued these cables while the helo was upside down on a stand.)
After that I place the whole lot back again and fiddled a bit with the final position. I put Hunt Club 1 in a banked position, since the capsule is going sideways, water is pouring out and the Sea Horse has to stabilize itself and Liberty Bell at the same time. I have seen some pictures of Gus helping the crew to attach the cable to the Mercury and afterwards swimming away to give them space. I have put the whole of the diorama after the "wheels in the water" - part, when they pulled the capsule out quite a bit but had to let go soon afterwards due to the overheating of the engine.

I made some "action pictures" which, for getting the historical feel of the actual pictures, I will show you in black and white. If there are requests for the coloured versions I'll be happy to show them, too.

Here's Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic in 1/96th. Thank you for your interest, support and enthusiasm!
Attached Thumbnails
Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-gus-01.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-gus-02.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-gus-03.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-gus-04.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-gus-05.jpg  

Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-dio-01.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-dio-02.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-dio-03.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-dio-04.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-bw-dramatics-01.jpg  

Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-bw-dramatics-02.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-bw-dramatics-03.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-bw-dramatics-04.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-bw-dramatics-05.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-bw-dramatics-06.jpg  

Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-bw-dramatics-07.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-bw-dramatics-08.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-bw-dramatics-09.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-cimg3571.jpg  
Old 11-02-2011, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Holy, moly! That is just plain amazing!!

You have done a SUPERB job of this diorama, and I think not only are the models so very well done, including the figures, but the water base makes the entire diorama so realistic!

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes, we want more photos and in color!!

Thank you for sharing this brilliant and uniquely spectacular build with all of us, it was a real treat to see this one come to life!

Cheers!
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 11-02-2011, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Good grief, that is cool!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Yes the color shots PLEASE!

AMAZING work!

I bet the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, Kansas (where the Liberty Bell 7 was restored and displayed) would LOVE to have a this diorama as part of their display! (well, maybe a duplicate of it!)

TERRIFIC work!
Later! OL JR
Old 11-02-2011, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Jaw-dropping-slobber-on-floor OUTSTANDING, PK. Gotta be POTW!

I just love the Gus-eye views!

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)
Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Thanks! Glad to see you are as happy with it as I am.
By request, the colour versions of some of them. The silhouette photographs are actually silhouettes, they were only desaturated.
Attached Thumbnails
Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-colour-dramatics-01.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-colour-dramatics-02.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-colour-dramatics-03.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-colour-dramatics-04.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-colour-dramatics-05.jpg  

Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-colour-dramatics-06.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-colour-dramatics-07.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-gus-close-up.jpg  
Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.8 KB
Awesome job!!