PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yes, the SOFAR bomb was still armed when they found it.

Fortunately, I taped the two parts of the show on the dutch installment of Discovery Channel. It has dutch subtitles and all. And fortunately, none of that "Will Grissom get out in time..?" suspense talk. A few years ago I transferred the tape to DVD. Got rid of all the commercial blocks as well. Send me a PM if you're interested.

If you're interested in Spacecraft Films... may I suggest you buy them from Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk? Ordering from Mark Gray directly can be a bit of a disappointment. He has a bad customer-service track record. I know a few people over at the NSF forums who are still waiting for delivery, more than two years after ordering AND paying.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
I can recall vaguely it first was aired live, late at night, but since the hoisting of the capsule was taking ages (5 km, that takes some time) they intermitted the live event with those 30 minute minidocs about the Mercury programme and, for example Shepard's flight. I think it was then where I also heard those remarks of Gus and whether he would make it out in time.

About available DVD's on space stuff; I bought a 3-DVD box called "De geschiedenis van de Space Shuttle" (The story of the ..) about a year ago. Never in my life have I seen such a bad documentary series. Both DVD's of the series were loaded with factual error upon factual error, a very bad translation job and an extra DVD with a lot of raw material of shuttle related stuff (mainly in flight on board shot footage) but tedious in editing and relevance. I wrote to the company that had issued it in the Netherlands and they weren't aware of the lack of quality of this series. Luckily it was relatively cheap.
/rant
Old 11-07-2011, 10:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
I know, Woods. I already did know that when I started this, having used the attached photo as a reference. I just wanted to give the diorama some extra impact to, say, emphasize the urgency of the situation. Call it poetic license.
VERY cool nonetheless... OL JR
Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
I have seen it when they aired it. Interesting stuff and a lot of nice side-stories, as I remember it well.
Only thing is that I always get a bit itchy from those historical Discovery documentaries when they start like: "Will Grissom get out of the sea in time before drowning? You'll see what happened, after the break." Or that story with the explosive charge on board they had to be careful with. Liberty Bell already being on dry land as it aired, trying to increase the suspense by suggesting it still might go wrong with the onboard grenade when they were hoisting the capsule on to the deck. (or was it live? I can't remember..)

Apart from that, it was a very interesting evening when they aired it. The programme was filled with all kinds of documentaries and stuff about Mercury. I taped it all on VHS but I don't have a VCR any more. I guess the tapes are a bit deteriorated now, anyway, having not been played for more than a decade.
I sometimes am tempted to get some of those Spacecraftfilms DVD's but they're quite expensive and I read a lot about the messy mailing service they seem to have.
I have the Spacecraft Films "Project Mercury", "Project Gemini", "Mighty Saturns", "Liftoff!" (and when things go wrong on the launch pad- explosions!), "Air Force Titan/MOL program" and a few others. They are WELL worth the money and HIGHLY recommended! I had a short wait for one of the sets to ship, but nothing like some of the other folks who've complained had...

If you're scared of ordering directly, you can always order from Amazon or stuff like that (resellers) whenever they have them available. I can't complain TOO much about the service from SF directly, though, but having heard some stories from others, maybe I've been lucky...

Later! OL JR
Old 11-07-2011, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker View Post
I have the Spacecraft Films "Project Mercury", "Project Gemini", "Mighty Saturns", "Liftoff!" (and when things go wrong on the launch pad- explosions!), "Air Force Titan/MOL program" and a few others. They are WELL worth the money and HIGHLY recommended! I had a short wait for one of the sets to ship, but nothing like some of the other folks who've complained had...

If you're scared of ordering directly, you can always order from Amazon or stuff like that (resellers) whenever they have them available. I can't complain TOO much about the service from SF directly, though, but having heard some stories from others, maybe I've been lucky...

Later! OL JR
Oh, I agree on that. Mark makes fantastic DVD sets and they are well worth the money. I've got Project Gemini, Apollo 1, Apollo 8, Apollo 11, Mighty Saturns to name a few. It's just his customer-service that is very much less OK.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Three ones for your viewing pleasure.
Thank you!! I love the additional photos...#2 is my favorite overall view of this beautiful little gem.

Cheers!
Jim