PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-09-2011, 06:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
You defiantly have my attention
Old 10-09-2011, 06:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Great start, PK, and a superb choice of topic for a diorama...I am looking on with great interests to see how the acrylic treatment works in replicating the water and to see how you accomplish the helo prop wash on the sea!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 10-10-2011, 12:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
When Liberty Bell was salvaged, it was sort of semi-live on television, I remember. The whole evening and night there was coverage on Discovery Channel, intermitted with documentaries of the flight and the project and, luckily, a retrospective of Gus himself. When the capsule was out of the water, it was put into a tank with sea water to prevent corrosion by exposing it to dry air.
There were supposed to be more explosives in the capsule (why?) and they were very careful handling it. Even Gunther Wendt there to witness its retrieval from the sea bed. He was a guest of honour. (did you see the pun I made there? ha ha ha )

I have made a big search for pictures of the original situation and added to that a busload of similar photos of other helicopters and their rotor wash on water surfaces. So I know how it should look, I am going to base it on this picture:

This Sikorsky had a piston engine and its rotors weren't as big as today's helicopters so the wash is a lot less than for example a Black(or Sea)hawk or a CH-53. The lower it hovers, the more wash there is. Mine will be at this height I think because I want to show the landing bag. I also have to find a way to portray good old Gus, treading water in his leaky space suit...
Old 10-10-2011, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.69 MB
This subject peaks my interests. I'm really gonna to be watchin' this build!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:22 AM

me too,.. I think your build will be great!
poor Gus really did get the short end of this stick though,.. he is my favorite astronaut next to buzz
Google Adsense
Old 10-10-2011, 08:52 AM

Thanks, Zartor for the explanation. Would that detonation not have destroyed the capsule?

@ HMCS: Gus has mainly become a legend because of his untimely death. But he was one of the best if not thee best of the Original Seven. Deke Slayton wrote in his autobiography he would have almost certainly picked Gus for the first moon landing. Then Gus Grissom would have been THE name instead of Neil Armstrong. That kind of a pilot was Gus. Everything but a pudknocker. Or a hatchblower. After the recovery of Liberty Bell evidence was clear: Gus never even touched the hatch release button.

On with the diorama. First I did some more work on the base. Ultramarine acrylic artist's paint with a dab of Tamiya flat black in it. It immediately started to live. I left some of the wave heads white. After a superficial drying period of an hour or three, four, I started to add some rotorwash underlayer. Over this paint layer the transparent acrylic stuff will be added. it looks quite good already but I am really looking forward to the top layer.

Then Liberty Bell itself. I started with cutting out the hatch. That was a hard thing to do, because the edge of the hatch was also the glue edge of the capsule part. Then I started the interior. I am afraid you won't see anything of it. Well, the hatch is open so you got to be able to take a look inside. I made a small couch and some 'shelves' on either side. I tried to give the impression of the instrument panel which is easy to spot when the hatch is open. A small piece of the panel is put in the capsule. The tunnel part is opened. I made a landing bag from thinner coloured paper. its structure is a bit rougher, looser fibres so it wrinkles nicely. I tested it on the waves. It looks quite like I want it to be in the end.
Now it's almost time to start Hunt Club 1! That might be something for the next post.
Attached Thumbnails
Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-base-04.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-base-05.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-base-06.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-base-07.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-base-08.jpg  

Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-02.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-03.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-04.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-05.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-06.jpg  

Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-07.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-08.jpg  

Last edited by Paper Kosmonaut; 10-10-2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: I added some text.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:18 AM

very very cool!,..

I had recently heard that gus's wife told nasa to take a flying leap when they wanted her to contribute something to some museum or something like that she stated that they werent there for him so why should she be there for them,.. I will find the story
Old 10-10-2011, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Wow! That is very neat and very tiny.

I had the pleasure of seeing the actual Liberty Bell 7 on display here in town a few years back. it was part of a traveling exhibit about the whole flight, loss and recovery of the capsule. Very awesome thing to see.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
Thanks, Zartor for the explanation. Would that detonation not have destroyed the capsule?
The SOFAR bomb had the explosive equivalent of several hand grenades. So, it would certainly have done substantial damage to the capsule, if not completely destroyed it. A shockwave in the air can do lots of damage. A shockwave in a dense medium (such as water) is many times worse.

But, I'm going OT here. Nice subject PK. Looking forward towards the end-result.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:11 AM

Thanks Woods. That sounds very plausible and we are lucky the SOFAR didn't go off. Now Liberty Bell still could be rescued.

Back to the build. I have kind of finished the base plate and I added the Merc to the "water".
I was, to say the least, very pleased with the result of the acrylic paste. Perhaps I have used it a bit conservatively but it's a 1/96th diorama and the water structure is 96 times smaller than in real life.
Last night I did the first layer of "water and let it cure overnight. This morning I added a second, thicker layer.
The paste is easy to apply and I used a flat brush to do so. You can make small ridges and, when you use the brush upright, you can make all kinds of patterns in the substance. After the sea surface was applied, I tried and make a load of water gushing out of the hatch opening. First it is white but it dries up clear.

When I came home later today, I added some highlights on the white heads on the waves and did some extra frothy bits here and there. For this I used titanium white acrylic artists paint. I also painted the side walls dark blue (aquamarine blue acrylic artists paint + a dab of black Tamiya) so now it looks like I just cut out a block of sea.
I think I let it rest for a while now, and see what it looks like tomorrow.

The biggest challenge is up next with the second helicopter in my oeuvre, a Sikorsky UH-34 Seahorse. (it is called "Choctaw" with the USAF/Army guys) The original one is 1/32 and I reduced it to 1/96 so it's 33% of its original size. I hope it is doable. But after the "Hook" I did recently I am not afraid of helicopters any more. (-;

PS. the last picture is of course my attempt to give the situation an authentic photographic look. Just a little fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-base-09.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-base-10.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-base-11.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-08.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-09.jpg  

Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-10.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-11.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-12.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-13.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-10a.jpg