PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-16-2011, 11:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
I first want to try to do something with paper. Don't know yet what or how, I'll make it up as I go, I guess.

I have never seen the ocean in real life myself, just the North Sea and that's more of a greyish blue. The pictures I have of Gus and Alan being picked up by the helicopters are mostly b/w but the few colour pictures I have was where I based my paint mix on. I wanted it to be this very dark, deep blue with a suggestion of that immense depth added to it. I guess then it is spot on.. Nice! Thanks for the kind words and congrats on your engagement!
Yep, I'd say you pretty well nailed it (the ocean color).

The engagement was 11 years ago... me and the missus is old and fat now... LOL Our daughter is six... But thanks anyway!

Later! OL JR
Old 10-17-2011, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Just started following this thread. Great job, the ocean work is fantastic, can't wait for the heli...
Old 10-18-2011, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 50.69 MB
Quote:
That's on the list for a while already, Maly. Including the "old 66". I'd also like to do a Gemini splashdown one day.
But I have decided not to do two themes of the same character after each other. Next might be Hubble in 1/48th, an addition to the rocket garden or something I kind of crave to do again, a what-if with real space element. (I hope your computer works well again)

Thanks for the kind words, Jim and Maly.
For one of the splashdowns, capturing the exact moment of splashdown would be amazing with the water shooting out from under the capsule and the parachutes fully inflated and supported by some kind of ultra-thin, ultra-strong wire... I can see it already...
Last Build - 1:48 F1 Engine
Current Build - Mammoth Tank (Scale unknown)
Next Build - P-3 Orion (VQ-1 livery)
Old 10-18-2011, 11:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I can see it already...
Why not try it yourself, then? (-; I would really like to see more people do diorama style realspace models.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 50.69 MB
Quote:
Why not try it yourself, then? (-; I would really like to see more people do diorama style realspace models.
Ahhhh!!!! I was afraid you'd say that... I need to polish my skills in the man-made arena before even think of attempting to recreate something produced by the hands of God.
Last Build - 1:48 F1 Engine
Current Build - Mammoth Tank (Scale unknown)
Next Build - P-3 Orion (VQ-1 livery)
Google Adsense
Old 10-19-2011, 01:47 AM

Just give it a go. Try a couple of small dioramas first. If you don't start with it and keep on postponing it, you will never develop the skills. And it isn't that hard, really. It's all there in the imagination you have. Seeing a rocket standing still is making it a dead object. But put it in a slight angle on a rod above a base plate with, say, a photo of the Cape from 50 kilometres up and suddenly the model starts to come to life.
After that the step to make a more challenging diorama isn't that far away.
I got the idea for my Sojourner diorama when I got one of those ceiling tiles and discovered the outer layer was some kind of gypsum in which I could carve. I used kitty litter for stones. It really is easy. I'd really love to see more people err... dioramatize their models. There are enough static models around and it you put them on a board or flat surface to stand up anyway, why not make it more fun?

yay! 900 posts!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Just give it a go. Try a couple of small dioramas first. If you don't start with it and keep on postponing it, you will never develop the skills. And it isn't that hard, really. It's all there in the imagination you have. Seeing a rocket standing still is making it a dead object. But put it in a slight angle on a rod above a base plate with, say, a photo of the Cape from 50 kilometres up and suddenly the model starts to come to life.
I got the idea for my Sojourner diorama when I got one of those ceiling tiles and discovered the outer layer was some kind of gypsum in which I could carve. I used kitty litter for stones. It really is easy. I'd really love to see more people err... dioramatize their models. There are enough static models around and it you put them on a board or flat surface to stand up anyway, why not make it more fun?

yay! 900 posts!
Well said! One only needs to take the first step and, then, you'd be amazed at what follows...I started putting my waterline ships on a seabase a few years ago, nothing special just a few wakes, etc., and now I pretty much do that for all of them. They just look better to me in that type of setting, particularly given they are waterline hulls. But what you have done in this area is just plan amazing and exciting to see, this latest (the splash down) being the best I've seen to date!

Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 10-19-2011, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Quote:

yay! 900 posts!

This...

I couldn't possibly agree more. I'm not in PK's league, but my little diorama projects really make the models come to life. Just dive in. If you can build the rocket, you can handle the rest.

Mike
Old 10-20-2011, 01:29 AM

Hi all, first I'd like to say I think we're all in the same league, all with our own skills and ideas. We're all Paper Modelers. I think everyone's skills are good, because even if they are just beginners, they do make stuff. And enjoying it. And they may bring along some really fresh ideas in doing so.

Now here's a tiny update on the helo (Swabo's call their helicopters thus, the army fly boys calls them choppers, I read that somewhere).
I realised that when there would be some bloke hanging out of the door to look how Liberty Bell was doing, you would be able to take a peek inside. So I had to do something about it. I made some chairs. They're far from perfect, I for one wouldn't want to try and sit on them i think but in the relative darkness of the Sea Horse's interior it doesn't seem to matter.
next is the closing up of the belly of the beast. It is a very narrow fit but it fits. I also used the interior parts (printed on thin paper) and used it to glue some transparent sheet in between for the windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-09.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-10.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-11.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-12.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-13.jpg  

Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-14.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-15.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-16.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-17.jpg  
Old 10-20-2011, 03:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.90 MB

Hi PK

The heli was very good! The chairs really surprising ... and the sliding side door!

Merzo

Google Adsense