PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-20-2011, 04:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Seatbelts, I vote for seatbelts too! Just kiddin'. The build is very good and this dio plus your coming plans added you to my follow-up list. Keep on the good work.

Tappi
Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Nicely done on the chairs, PK!

Great detail work on the helo, she's looking great!

Wondering how you are going to portray the spinning blades...plastic disc ala' Fiddler's Green?

Cheers!
Jim
Old 10-22-2011, 09:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hi there, friends.
About how to tackle the spinning rotor, although I played with the idea of using a transparent circle with a blurred rotor printed on, I think of this diorama as a frozen moment in time. The waves are not moving, the rotors won't be moving either. So I might as well just make them as they are, static, detailed, like the water and the rotor wash.

Today I made the nose cone and the windows of the Sea Horse and I made a very thin but sturdy "cable" for the helo to hook on to the capsule for lifting it out of the water. It still might be a little bit too thick but thinner would cause the "cable" to bend and I want to see tension on it. So it has to be straight. The nose cone is a very well fitting bulged shape but it takes some fiddling to get all the bends right into place. I used some reinforcements on the back to get it where I wanted it to go. The lowest part was a bit out of shape or I bent it too much inward, I don't know, it looked as if the helo had an overbite. I cut the piece off and replaced it after which it looked much better.

Cutting out the cockpit windows is an accurate process, the sills are very small. I reinforced it with some CA. It is not glued yet, I first have to put some "glass" in the sills. And, of course, some piloting personnel would be nice. That's for later. Here are some pictures.

Bye for now!
Attached Thumbnails
Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-14.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-09.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-10.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-11.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-12.jpg  

Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-13.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-14.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-15.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-sea-horse-16.jpg  
Old 10-22-2011, 11:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking mighty nice again PK.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.23 MB
"Get the capsule, get the capsule!"

Pure solid excellence PK. You never cease to amaze us.

The first picture of the capsule, when not enlarged can easily be mistaken for the real thing.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
Hi there, friends.
About how to tackle the spinning rotor, although I played with the idea of using a transparent circle with a blurred rotor printed on, I think of this diorama as a frozen moment in time. The waves are not moving, the rotors won't be moving either. So I might as well just make them as they are, static, detailed, like the water and the rotor wash.
It's an interesting idea on how to deal with the diorama and the rotor blades, and I understand what you say...take a look at the photo attached, which you probably already have...maybe the tail rotor might look good blurred but leave the main rotor the way they are? Just wondering....

Whatever you do I know it will be fabulous, just like your other work!

Cheers!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-5970991503_2f1500f6a3_z.jpg  
Old 10-23-2011, 01:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Thanks for your response but I don't know about any blur yet, Jim. It requires a print on a transparent disk and it will lack the thickness of the blades. in this video on Youtube they filmed a Hind helicopter while the camera shutter was incredibly enough in sync with the main rotor and the tail rotor only rotates slowly.
My point is - you can see it without blur. In a completely frozen moment in time, it all would be clear, without a blur - which in the end also only is a trick of the eye.
There was a firm that made blurred PE propellers for styrene model airplanes but they seem to have dissapeared and besides, there weren't any blades for helicopters.
I'll stick to making it "frozen".
Perhaps in the future I'll do a plane, say, a P-51 and try out some blur techniques on the prop just for fun.

Today I am going to Soesterberg and I'll probably (and hopefully) meet Billy Leliveld and his freshly finished Apollo Astronaut.
So, no building today but I will see some paper models.
Bye!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:35 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
tot zo..
Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 AM

That's an amazing video, an incredible optical illusion. I do look forward to seeing how this comes out, posed above the capsule in that brilliantly created sea!

Hope you have fun during your trip today...I envy your seeing Billy's model first hand, it looks spectacular in the build thread!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 10-23-2011, 09:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
Today I am going to Soesterberg and I'll probably (and hopefully) meet Billy Leliveld and his freshly finished Apollo Astronaut.
So, no building today but I will see some paper models.
Bye!
Yesterday I went to Euro Scale Modeling in Nieuwegein in the Netherlands. Billy was there as well, along with his finished Apollo Astronaut.
To quote Darth Vader: "Impressive, most impressive"
Took a few shots with my thrusty old G3, will post them in that thread later.
Google Adsense