PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-08-2011, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.99 MB
To earn funds for the hobby, I think the best solution would be to just sell completed models that you don't want to keep. For instance, I built an enormous 1/24 scale model of Atlantis. Not too long after, I had two people ask to buy it. Though of course, I declined as I didn't want to part with it.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.66 MB
that is one cool looking shuttel. nice work
Old 11-09-2011, 12:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to mandainf
HI

Hello jim

thanks ur suggestion and compliment. Defiantly i will show u next model.. It should be us drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkrauzlis View Post
welcome aboard! It's great to have new additions to the family, especially ones who are brave enough to try and design paper models. I've been building them for quite a long time but have yet to take the plunge in designing a model yet, so i applaud your desire and drive.

You have some very knowledgable folks on this forum, quite a few who are designers of paper models themselves, who are very happy to provide constructive criticism on any of your projects, and i like your willingness to listen and perhaps learn from their experience.

As to monetary gain from this hobby, i don't really know how lucrative designing and selling models might be for the vast majority of the designers on this forum, although i image it may be more worthwhile for some than others, but that is obvoiusly dependant upon what type and quality of model they create. Some models are very popular and do well while others not so much. I'm not aware of any arrangements where a beginner designer is "sponsored" by anyone, although i have heard of commission work every once and awhile, but that is usually where someone wants a particular designer to tackle a new design project for a model that is desired by the benefactor...not too sure how prevalent that is, but i have heard of it from time to time.

I would very respectfully suggest you continue to hone your designing skills, and if you want to try your hand at selling models that you design, then consider what type of model might be desired by others (you can get some good ideas by browsing the various build and design threads), but never loose the drive and desire to design paper models, as your first attempt certainly shows you have a talent that, perhaps, might provide you someday with a source for some "hobby money."

i look forward to seeing your work in the future, and wish you the very best!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Cool!

Looking forward to your next project!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 11-09-2011, 04:41 PM

I must apologize mandainf....I recommended you post in this catagory forgetting rivet counters and the hard core (critiqueing) you would recieve. I didn't say anything about the obvious design inaccuracies because I figured you know what the shuttle looks like and just decieded to do it your way, and because the workmanship is excellent. A very clean build. I think Luke was a bit scorching for a newbe to the site and is more along the line of what I would expect from Paperkosmonaut, (Luke must have gotten there first this time) but they both mean well and are great with advise and helping out.

As far as sponsers I don't quite get what you want, I've built many models and find it VERY inexspensive. I've only paid for one model so far and thats the 1/144 scale Sat V LUT. Other than that it's only paper and ink, and unless you're building weapons or some other color intensive design you won't use much ink. Living in India I would'nt think finding work would not be a problem (barring any physical restriction) seeing all the jobs here in the US have been out sourced there, China or Mexico.

Do some searching, you can find many many free mods on the web. Good luck, can't wait to see whats next.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
I wasn't trying to be "scorching" just pointing out some VERY obvious problems, especially for someone looking for a "buyer" for his product!

Anybody who'd have the money and WANT to buy a model space shuttle at this scale is GOING to DEMAND that it be at least accurate in proportions.

Despite being painted as one, I am definitely NOT a "rivet counter" and get just as frustrated as many others by folks who are and make a big spiel about it. That wasn't my intention at all.

I was merely trying to point out that, for what the OP was stating (wanting to sell his models) that he might want to do a bit more research and get some better and more accurate specifications to base his builds on if he intends to sell them.

I know if *I* were in the market for a large shuttle model, *I* would want one that was a technically accurate shape, and if the payload bay doors opened at that scale, SOME level of detailing inside it (even if just a half-round "print" of the details and not the fiddly bits themselves.) *I* wouldn't be interested in the OP's "personalized" take on the shuttle design... and I'd bet most "buyers" interested in such a thing would say the same.

Credit where credit's due-- the OP did a VERY nice job with the construction-- it's very clean, well-built, and looks nice. But the "technical" errors (if they are errors) are easily correctible with a little more research and the proper scale information. If the OP intended to create a 'personalized' rendition of the shuttle, he did an excellent job, but I hardly think it's going to appeal to any "buyers" he might be seeking to purchase it... They'll want to buy a model of the NASA shuttle, not the "OP's version" of the shuttle...

Didn't mean to offend or discourage-- EXCELLENT WORK, but you might want to have accurate specifications on your next build, especially if you want to sell them.

Best of luck and keep up the good work!!!

Later! OL JR
Old 11-10-2011, 12:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
All I can say is "DUDE LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING!"

Not being a "Real Space" rivet-counter myself... If I was to walk into a room and see a model like that I would say "wow, nice looking Space Shuttle model" (Along with the previously mentioned size quote).

It looks awesome to me cos I don't spend/waste countless hours of my time going over the tiny details of a real space shuttle to notice any differences.

The HMAS Vendetta model I recently built was designed by barry and I added extra detail. I gave it to my (ex) Father in Law, and he was blown away by how good it looked but within a few days he was pointing out all the innacuracies and "mistakes" I'd made. I just smiled and offered to take it back and spend another 4 years building it properly, but ultimately I really didn't care, I was proud of what I had achieved, and the initial reaction was more than enough for me. I recently heard he does not let a single person into his house for a visit without making sure they look at it while he tells them how good a job I did on it, so at the end of the day, my work is done and I'm still proud of it.

A model doesn't have to be 110% accurate for people to enjoy looking at it, if the person who designed it is happy with it and the person who built it is happy that's good enough, if the people who get to see it after that enjoy it, JOB DONE!

There are people out there who would gladly pay for a model that is not 100% accurate because they either lack the skill, motivation or ability to build it themselves.

I'm not trying to start/continue a heated discussion on the topic either, just voicing more of my own opinion.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 11-10-2011, 04:52 PM

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, I was just jerkin your chain there a bit Luke. When I first started building and posting, PK's cretique was always (I thought) nit picky, it ticked me off there for a while untill I realized he's like that with every one and just very detailed oriented. He's been a big help in some of my builds and his vast knowledge of the space program (both soviet and american) has been invaluble. Your post was just kind of a shock when I read you'r list of flaws, although they were all right on, I had flash backs.

Respect.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by closet astronaut View Post
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, I was just jerkin your chain there a bit Luke. When I first started building and posting, PK's cretique was always (I thought) nit picky, it ticked me off there for a while untill I realized he's like that with every one and just very detailed oriented. He's been a big help in some of my builds and his vast knowledge of the space program (both soviet and american) has been invaluble. Your post was just kind of a shock when I read you'r list of flaws, although they were all right on, I had flash backs.

Respect.
No prob... just seemed like a dogpile was forming. The OP asked for feedback/opinions and I was honest and respectful (so I thought). For what he was talking about doing (selling kits) I figured that my points were pretty valid and if he didn't hear them from me he surely would from someone.

I know what you mean. I'm more a (flying) rocketry type guy but the kits are increasingly using papermodeling skills and techniques in the builds (especially the Dr. Zooch Rockets kits) and I followed some links over here and am frankly amazed and the stuff you guys are capable of building. I'm incorporating some stuff I learn here on my rocket scratchbuilds and it's working fairly nicely. I know EXACTLY what you mean about "rivet counters" as we certainly have those in the hobby rocketry world... and granted they have their place-- international competitive models are absolutely AMAZING in their levels of detail... museum quality models that fly, often simulating many of the same flight profiles as the real thing (staging, dropping boosters, etc) and also unfortunately crashing at times! For that level of workmanship and for that level of competition, rivet counting is to be expected-- it's the difference between "good" and "world champion". BUT, for the OTHER 99% of the rocket hobbiests, "good" is "good enough"... LOL

I guess things are pretty much the same no matter what hobby you're in... LOL

Later! OL JR
Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to timwin_va
how about a mate/demate paper model

hello, timwin_va
here from winchester, va
i am into the space shuttle and all paper model related space stuff, why not build or make a paper model of the mate/demate gantry for the sca and shuttle in a 1/144 scale
timwin_va AT verizon DOT net .

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 11-14-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: cut up the email address to slow down the spam-bots
Google Adsense

Tags
atlantis model