PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-12-2011, 07:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Upgrading the EDU-Craft 1:70 Crawler

I'm new to all this paper modeling stuff but I've been involved in model rocketry for a long while. One thing I've always wanted to do was build a good looking LUT for displaying my Saturn V and/or Saturn 1B models. I had built one as a project for LAUNCH Magazine a few years ago using resin parts that I cast and balsa. It didn't turn out too badly, but it still wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Recently I discovered paper modeling and the EDU-Craft LUT related models so I decided to take a stab at them and perhaps update the LUT section in the next revision of my rocketry book. I haven't actually started the build yet, but I have started prototyping some upgrades that I plan to include when I do the build.

The photo here is a test build of the structure for the walkways and a stairway on the crawler. The walkway will be covered with a fine mesh to provide the walking surface in the completed model. I prefer the actual steps to a ramp with the steps printed on them - but they are pretty challenging to assemble at this scale.

Mario
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading the EDU-Craft 1:70 Crawler-walkway.jpg  
Old 02-12-2011, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Beautiful, Mario!

This will be a heck of a project, and I look forward to following it.

Mike
Old 02-12-2011, 07:21 PM

Thanks. I spent the day laying out more updated parts and getting them ready to cut. With luck I'll have the time to start assembling the main structure by next weekend.

Mario
Old 02-15-2011, 05:51 PM

The first walkway segment is ready for paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading the EDU-Craft 1:70 Crawler-walkway-1.jpg  
Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.90 MB
Congratulations. Very nice ..
Google Adsense
Old 02-20-2011, 01:37 AM

Firstly, that's a good build you've got going there, congratulations
You mentioned the steps, and the difficulty of a satisfying build at this scale.
I am in the long process of building a decent Saturn V at 1/48, and having a lot of fun doing it. I had no plans to build the crawler LUT, but needed a decent display stand, as I didn't want the weight of the model to rest on the F-1s, so I built Greelts stand as posted on Jon Leslies site. Given that the F-1s were my first project in this hobby, this build has been a learning curve from the start, and thankfully, I haven't made too much of a hash of it. One of the things that helps you along is confidence, and I got that in spades when I built up the stair assemblies for Greelts base, I thought I was just going to get a flat, stuck thing after a couple of hours work, but having done all the gluing, the time came to turn the assembled 2d object into a 3d staircase. With a little gentle teasing the stairs folded into the right shape at the first attempt. Whilst this doesn't let me jump into just anything (UHU!), I know I can have a good bash at the vast majority of the models out there quite happily.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:40 AM

My mods don't involve a lot of folding (yet) as I've been working with .050" matte board for most of the mods. The steps are .011" which makes them a little more delicate to handle. I've found that it's not too bad doing runs of 6 or 7 steps but I'm going to need to build a jig for the longer runs. This type of modeling is very different from what I've done in the past, but I've found that I really like it.

Mario
Old 02-23-2011, 04:10 PM

Awsome work, is this going to be a stand alone model?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by closet astronaut View Post
Awsome work, is this going to be a stand alone model?
It will be a display stand for my Apogee 1:70 scale Saturn V. I've always wanted to have a good tower for one of my Saturn models so now's the time to make it happen.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:53 PM

I thought might say that, the only problem is when you put that launch pad on top of the crawler all that beautiful, detailed work will be all covered up.

See what I mean
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading the EDU-Craft 1:70 Crawler-sat-v-48-057.jpg