PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-26-2011, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
Mike,

As you can see the excitement is building over your project. Having grown up in the 60's with a dad in aerospace, Gemini was a great adventure to follow. You are doing excellent work. Thank you for taking on Gemini in 1:12. Won't even mention modding your model into Big Gemini....LOL
Old 12-27-2011, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 964.96 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspacemike View Post
And an extra treat, the first Gemini Paper Model, circa November 6, 1962 from Department 507 at McDonnell Aircraft.

Just did the McDonnell model. Looks like its 1/144 scale. Very nice.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspacemike View Post
And an extra treat, the first Gemini Paper Model, circa November 6, 1962 from Department 507 at McDonnell Aircraft.
I'm tempted to re-do that through Rhino and do a quick 'n dirty re-model. Thanks for the find!!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
The shingles ...

mspacemike, my compliments for Your endeavour!
I was always a fan of the Gemini Project, since I was a boy when my father gave me a 8mm NASA's film about the Gemini 6 & 7 rendez-vous.
I built, me too, the the Delta 7 Gemini, an excellent model, but the surface detail at that scale didn't satisfy me. Recently I tought to re-build the model, enhancing the surface, reproducing the corrugated pattern of the shingles. I started from the hatch, reproducing the clear window, engraving the corrugations and punching the bolts. The result is no bad compared with the real thing, but is an endless work that discouraged me.
How Do you think to reproduce the surface of the shingles ? Here attached some photo of my test.

Best, Nando
Attached Thumbnails
Gemini - 1:12-gemini_hatch_in_clean_room.jpg   Gemini - 1:12-img_7118.jpg   Gemini - 1:12-img_7119.jpg   Gemini - 1:12-img_7124-1.jpg   Gemini - 1:12-img_7129.jpg  

Gemini - 1:12-21-hi.jpg  
Fat Man & Little Boy available here
Old 12-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
.......................... The result is no bad compared with the real thing, but is an endless work that discouraged me.
How Do you think to reproduce the surface of the shingles ? Here attached some photo of my test.

Best, Nando
OMG!! That is awesome Nando!!
Google Adsense
Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
mspacemike, my compliments for Your endeavour!
I was always a fan of the Gemini Project, since I was a boy when my father gave me a 8mm NASA's film about the Gemini 6 & 7 rendez-vous.
I built, me too, the the Delta 7 Gemini, an excellent model, but the surface detail at that scale didn't satisfy me. Recently I tought to re-build the model, enhancing the surface, reproducing the corrugated pattern of the shingles. I started from the hatch, reproducing the clear window, engraving the corrugations and punching the bolts. The result is no bad compared with the real thing, but is an endless work that discouraged me.

Best, Nando
Thats incredible detail. How did you do the washers for the rivets?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow321 View Post

Here is a picture of my test build of the McDonnell model.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 343.62 MB
joeblow - Nice construct! Brings back a lot of memories from McDonnell Douglas days. It's amazing that this is the sort of paper model that would come out when they had access to all the original drawings. But back then, everything related to the project was confidential/secret.
Nando - Really like the detail on that door! You're setting the bar pretty high.

I'm continuing with the Pressure Vessel. Just wondering how much detail to put into it. Most of the supports will be hidden in the contruction. Will have more pics later today.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow321 View Post

Sorry had a brain fart. Should have said scale was about 1/48.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 343.62 MB
Another view of the Delta 7 back wall (on the left) and my drawing (on the right) in the first picture. You can see the the interior space is even tighter than I originally thought.

In the second picture I show the space between the inner wall and the outer wall of the capsule. It is 1.50 inches actual, which works down to 0.125 inches in 1:12 scale. This is the gray ring that you see around my drawing.

In the third is something that bothered me. I take my sketchup drawings and import them into pepakura. From there I then go thru the motions to unfold the more complicated pieces. It is just a frustrum and my drawings were not coming out matching the interior details. So I did my own calculations and found that the sections did not all match, which resulted in creeping errors. That and the radius was not quite right. Did anyone else experience this? So I am going to correct my drawings by hand by using the formulas, (picture 4) easy enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Gemini - 1:12-dscn0369.jpg   Gemini - 1:12-dscn0370.jpg   Gemini - 1:12-dscn0371.jpg   Gemini - 1:12-conical_frustum_1.gif  
Google Adsense

Tags
gemini, pressure vessel