PaperModelers.com

PaperModelers.com (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/)
-   PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/pasa-paper-aeronautical-space-administration/)
-   -   Gemini - 1:12 (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/pasa-paper-aeronautical-space-administration/17687-gemini-1-12-a.html)

mspacemike 12-25-2011 10:09 AM

Gemini - 1:12

4 Attachment(s)
I have been thinking about this for quite a while and Ken's approach to the Apollo Command Module spurred me on. I have taken several of my drawings and started playing with Google Sketchup. I tried several other programs, but they did not give me what I was looking for in quick results. I started with the pressure vessel and will continue on from there. The last two pics show all the components laid out flat, with the inner wall (white) and the outer wall of the capsule (gray). I have not yet detailed the parts, this is just the prototype with the rough dimensions.

Miles Linnabery 12-25-2011 06:27 PM

Dear List Folks:
Gemini 1/12 if printed on 11x17 paper would fit barbie and ken dolls? just the thought sends shivers up the back hope the 10 year old daughter does not see this thread.
Scary,
MILES

Mechanic 12-25-2011 06:47 PM

Cool! I've built the Delta7 Studios Gemini (and Mercury), it would be nice to build a matching scale Gemini to Ken's Apollo without having to deal with enlarging.

bernoullis 12-26-2011 09:12 AM

Ken? Doll? Ken West has his own doll? Amazing! Whatever next? ;)

Lol!

mspacemike 12-26-2011 11:55 AM

bernoullis: I don't have a Ken (or Barbie!) doll to see if they would fit in the capsule. I have an idea that might work as a second best guess.

Mechanic: I hope to show the differences between blowing up a Delta 7 kit to my design. Still working on the pressure vessel at this time. Will have something to show in a few days. Amazingly, (is that a word?) I was off work on Christmas Day so I was able to put some more pieces together.

Zathros 12-26-2011 12:10 PM

Excellent work going on here! You work with Blender is also to be applauded. I would love to see a tutorial written on how someone does something like this in Blender. A diehard Rhino Person myself, these shapes are easy to bang out with that program, but that really does not meany anything, especially looking at how well you have captured the look, feel, dimensions, etc. That is an accomplishment in any program This is going to be a GEM!! I'll be one to add to the list of ardent followers :)

luke strawwalker 12-26-2011 03:44 PM

This would be VERY cool on top of a 12 inch diameter Titan II flying under the power of a pair of large model rocket motors... :cool:

With or without "Barbienauts"...

Later! OL JR :)

mspacemike 12-26-2011 05:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
As promised, a few pics of the beginnings of the pressure vessel. Its a little more complex than originally thought. The sides and floor of the vessel, a few shots of the outside and the comparision of the Delta 7 side to mine.

mspacemike 12-26-2011 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And an extra treat, the first Gemini Paper Model, circa November 6, 1962 from Department 507 at McDonnell Aircraft.

closet astronaut 12-26-2011 05:30 PM

Between you and Ken, I'm going to have an excitment heart attach. After building Scotts 1/4 Merc I didn't think I would ever see anything like it.