PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-11-2012, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorst View Post
Les,

The sunshade below the HGA feed is closed at the bottom, the inside is red and the outside is white.
Yeah, I just haven't finished it yet. From the close-up of the Pioneer H in the National Air & Space Museum, looks like the inside is actually gold; I simply painted the other side of the gold foil white. And just before peeking in here, I measured the bottom piece on your drawing so I can do the bottom!

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)
Old 03-11-2012, 03:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
Ah- sorry, I hope you don't mind my input (I knew I shouldn't post...).

And thanks for the gold-input, you are correct, on some pictures it indeed looks to be golden, I didn't notice that before...
Again, great work!

Thorsten
Old 03-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
That's the only downside of your super-detailing - there's always another bit of reality to add!
Stunning work - Yogi
Old 03-29-2012, 05:22 PM

OK, I'm on the home stretch with this booger...but once more, I need some help.

Can anyone explain/illustrate (Thorsten? ) the attachments for the RTGs? I've studied the Pioneer H pix literally for hours, and still can't figure it out. It looks as if four(?) of the struts have V-shaped attachments. Is that correct? How about the others? And where do the struts attach to the spacecraft, other than those that go into the adapter ring?

I'd simply walk over to the NASM and eyeball the Pioneer H, but I'm been busting my butt at work lately, first with the portable electronics issue and then this week with the jetBlue captain. Unbridled. Joy.

Mucho thanx for any assistance!

Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 PM

Les,

I refer once more to the drawing I posted on the first page of this thread.
In the bottom-right corner you see everything you need to know about the RTG-side of the attachment. Each pair of RTG has a triangular plate between the single units, one corner faces towards the HGA. From these plates, 3 'V'-shaped struts connect the RTGs to the struts (3 for each pair of RTGs):

These struts slide out of mounts located around the Instrument section when the S/C rotates. They initially reach through the S/C adapter and thermal blankets. You can see their location on the unfolded side view of the drawing sheet (here marked with arrows):

Note that the struts of one pair are closer to the Instrument Section housing than the other so that they lay in seperate plaines (otherwise they would collide when stowed in launch configuration). The orange arrows mark two attachment poins which are hold by struts around the star tracker (not directly on the instrument section). The two green arrows mar two other points which were probably only present on test equipment.

I hope this answeres your question.

Thorsten
Attached Thumbnails
1/24 Pioneer 11-rtg_attachment1.jpg   1/24 Pioneer 11-rtg_attachment2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-30-2012, 06:53 AM

Most excellent, Thorsten! I think with your add'l info and the pix I've figured things out and can finallt finish this weekend.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:51 PM

Well, I honestly thought I'd be finished this (for me) three-day weekend, but I guess it's just not happening. I did manage to get the RTGs and booms assembled, tho. I attached the booms to the spacecraft with small wires that I glued into holes drilled into the plastic rod.

One of the RTG fins got knocked off, so I have to replace it. And oddly, one of the booms turned out too short at the spacecraft end, even though I'd swear I cut them all the same length. "Measure twice, cut once," huh???

Anyway, here's a couple pix. Onward & upward!

Attached Thumbnails
1/24 Pioneer 11-pioneer-11-4.jpg   1/24 Pioneer 11-pioneer-11-5.jpg  
Old 04-22-2012, 03:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Looks great, Les! That's one of the probes high up my to-do list. I also often have trouble with getting all the pieces of rod equally long, you're not alone in that..(-;
Old 04-22-2012, 03:41 PM

Looks great! You did some nice scratchbuilding here!

Thorsten
Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Well, it took me longer than I ever expected, but here's the finished product! (Probably why I prefer building launch vehicles over satellites.... )

I scratchbuilt the struts for the various antennas and equipment from styrene rod. The magnetometer boom is a piece of floral wire. I added a lot of detail as well. Certainly not perfect, but not bad for my evolving abilities.

Photos of the Pioneer H at the National Air & Space Museum were invaluable, as were close-ups of the instruments from Wikipedia. And a special tip of the magnetometer boom to Thorsten for the diagrams and photos he posted or linked to.

Of course, a Jupiter/Saturn-sized thanx to Ton Noteboom, who designed the original model and gave me a base to enhance.

Comments welcome. You may also throw money....

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack
Attached Thumbnails
1/24 Pioneer 11-pioneer-9a.jpg   1/24 Pioneer 11-pioneer-9b.jpg   1/24 Pioneer 11-pioneer-9c.jpg   1/24 Pioneer 11-pioneer-9d.jpg  
Google Adsense