PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-27-2012, 04:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Bumping this thread....

Went to Euro Scale Modelling 2012 this morning. The show was great, but the number of spaceflight subject could be counted on the fingers of one hand. :-(

However, Leo's Soyuz FG launcher was there, in scale 1/48 no less. Built by Lex Tempelman (his website is in Dutch language only).
Attached Thumbnails
Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-161_6146.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-161_6142.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-161_6144.jpg  
Old 03-11-2014, 02:32 AM

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

When the LES (Launch Escape Tower) on the Soyuz separates from the rocket, the fairing splits horizontally and the top part is carried away by the LES!!! It is not supposed to open into two halves!

Apart from that, beautiful build. Very neat and pretty. Sorry for the nit picking.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Well, Alexander, you're a little bit too late with this nitpick... (-;
Anyway, thanks for the enlightenment. And although it is incorrect, my split shroud does show the Soyuz in a better way... By the way, can you tell me where exactly the shroud splits?
Old 03-11-2014, 03:56 AM

Well, since it is supposed to protect the crew module during an abort, I think somewhere around the top of the service module. I'll try to find a picture.

EDIT: Here are the pictures.

These show that it splits off where the grate thingies are attached (I think they are used for stabilisation and control after the abort, but I'm not sure).

And if you don't mind me saying this, a Soyuz abort (just after the separation) would be an excellent idea for one of you teeny dioramas. If you're not sick of making tiny vernier engine nozzles!

Last edited by POTKC; 03-11-2014 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Added pictures and a suggestion.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 342.84 MB
Quote:
(I think they are used for stabilisation and control after the abort, but I'm not sure)
I believe they are, alexander, it's called Belotserkovskiy Grid fin, similar to those used on russian RVV-AE missile. According to what i read they are more compact and more effective than conventional fins at high mach number
Attached Thumbnails
Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-r77_6594b_161.jpg  
Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 AM

Yep, that's what I thought. You can also see them on the N1.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:02 PM

And practical as the Russians are, they also are, unchanged, available in shops as a multifunctional appliance that can double as cheese grater, toaster, waffle maker, car grille, doorstep and washboard. (-;

By the way, thanks Alexander, for the explanation. It means the Soyuz also is torn in two at the emergency escape. I just wonder how the shroud leaves the Soyuz undamaged when it separates in flight as planned. The periscope is protruding, the KURS radar dish is also quite prominent on the outside, and the shroud is very narrow. I have never seen an actual separation of it (apart from the tiny grainy Soyuz 18a abort film).
Such a scene is a nice thing to try and make but it involves a lot of fire and smoke which is hard to recreate in 1/400. Let alone the launch pad itself. But the Soyuz 18a abort would make for a spectacular diorama indeed. Hmmm.. Let me think about that for a while... (-;
Old 03-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Since I started watch the ISS I got the idea I might want to try my hand at making Soyuz. I saw it leave the ISS yesterday. That was a rush to see it pull away and fall to Earth. The idea that there were 3 men on board was another thought. So I guess I’m looking for a model to build that is within my capabilities. I’m open to any ideas at this point as I feel my way into this idea. Thank you for any help. wc
Old 03-11-2014, 05:40 PM

Hi Wad Cutter,
Perhaps Alfonso's Soyuz is a very good point to start with. It's 1/100 and you easily can enlarge it to something bigger. It retains its qualities. It is one of the best shaped Soyuz kits around. (it also is the one I included in this build) And it is not hard to build.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Soyuz

I really can't thank you enough for this gift. This is just what I was looking for. The other day I watch the Soyuz un-dock from the ISS and slowly float back to Earth. What a incredible view. I noticed the solar wings where still on the Soyuz at it reentered Earth atmosphere. Are they detached or do they burn away? I'm almost sure this is a model I can build. This will be right after the shuttle which is almost done. Hard to think there are 3 men inside this as it screams to Earth. That has to be a ride and then some.Thank you Paper. wc

Last edited by Wad Cutter; 03-12-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Google Adsense