PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-12-2014, 01:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hi Wad Cutter. As a Soyuz is about to re-enter the atmosphere it breaks up in three pieces: the orbital module (the ball-shape up front), the service module (the white piece at the back with the engines and auxilary equipment) and the re-entry module, the part inbetween which is bell-shaped. The two other parts are burning up but the capsule itself not, of course. Here is an interesting little film about it.

Glad to see I made someone happy with the beautiful models of AXM. Have fun with the build and please show us the building result!
Old 03-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
That was an incredible video of the Soyuz capsule landing. I had absolutely no idea that much was involved for their landing. I saw the photo of the capsule after landing and it just blew my mind how small it is in there plus all the item that are packed in there with them. I was listening to when they were chatting about what they wanted to bring back with ground control. Sounding like they were packing so much but no room. Thank you for this insight to their landing. I really enjoyed that very much Paper. wc
Old 03-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Paper maybe you can answer a question for me on Hubble. With the shuttle program gone how will the Hubble get resupplied? Thank you. wc
Old 03-13-2014, 08:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wad Cutter View Post
Paper maybe you can answer a question for me on Hubble. With the shuttle program gone how will the Hubble get resupplied? Thank you. wc
There aren't any more servicing missions planned, the last one (SM-4) was intended to keep Hubble operating through 2014 and hopefully much longer, but it's orbit, without any further boosts, is expected to decay somewhere between 2019 and 2032 (from what I've read).

It would have been nice if we would have retrieved it before the shuttle was retired, instead of letting it just eventually burn up. But on the positive side, we are putting even more awesome telescopes up like the James Webb.

Isaac Asimov
Old 03-14-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
It would have been nice if we would have retrieved it before the shuttle was retired, instead of letting it just eventually burn up.
If I recall correctly, there were wild plans for one of the last shuttle missions to recollect the HST and bring it back to Earth for display in the NASM. I personally think it's a missed opportunity to show one last time what the shuttle was capable of. But, on the other hand, I know it would have been a far fetch to get it done. Resupplying the ISS was far more important and changing orbit from ISS to HST is a very hard thing to do. Real life is not like Gravity! (-;
Old 03-15-2014, 03:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Fairings do separate alongside vertical axis, but only during normal separation. And if launch abort is used, they split horizontally.
By the way, PK, can oy please post edirted version you've mentioned? xD
Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 AM

@Sashanar: I already thought so. It already seemed strange to me the shroud would open horizontally during normal flight. The chance of hitting one of the KURS dishes or other protrusions like the periscope would have been much too large or even unevitable.
I of course can understand for an emergency escape method this is actually what happens, but then they also leave behind the engine module and it soesn't matter if stuff gets damaged.

The shroud is slowly moved over the Soyuz in the assembly hall and there it also is horizontally split, if I recall correctly (the bottom end already 'hides' the engine section while the rest of the spacecraft still protrudes from the rocket.
But during a normal launch it splits vertically. This is the only way the Soyuz can stay unharmed. So I was right all the time.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Eternal Member

I asked NASA about refueling the Hubble and got a few Tweets back. This is it.

RRM-Robotic Refueling Mission
http://ssco.gsfc.nasa.gov/robotic_refueling_mission.html

Robotic Satellite-Refueling
http://ssco.gsfc.nasa.gov/rrm_refueling_task.html

NASA's Successful Robotic Refueling Demo
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/rrm_success.html
http://ssco.gsfc.nasa.gov/robotic_refueling_mission.html
http://www.space.com/24949-robotic-satellite-refueling-tech-works-nasa-proves-video.html

I'm not sure if this what is planed for Hubble. I would think that something more aggressive is necessary for Hubble specially if equipment need to be replaced also. I guess I will go back and ask them.

wc

Last edited by Wad Cutter; 03-16-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:48 PM

It takes a lot of effort to reach the Hubble. It is not that easy. Hubble is in an orbit not as low as the ISS but makes its rounds at about 570 kilometres. it takes a rocket with more fuel to get that kind of load up there. And then secondly, Hubble is not designed to be robotically refuelled. Thirdly, Hubble is at the end of its working life.
I guess the experimental phase Robotical refueling is in now will last too long for Hubble to be able to survive. Considering all of the above, that is not that bad; since the HST has had a great 'life', has become a household name and helped us discover so much new stuff that it has been worth every penny. The new flagship, the James Webb will take over reasonably soon and in the time in between the universe won't change that much, too.
Like I said earlier, more or less the only pity is that the HST could not be brought back on one of the later shuttle missions.
(By the way, Hubble is not the only space telescope around, take a look at what Herschel and Planck did up until quite recently. Both of them also were a lot further out.)

PS, Wad Cutter, you should check out Nasaspaceflight.com for those kind of questions. There are many people there who know an awful lot about these things.

Last edited by Paper Kosmonaut; 03-16-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: I typed some extra letters. to make words that mean things.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:25 PM
Eternal Member

Thank you Paper I will. Just a guy with a question like itch I can't get to. wc
Google Adsense