PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-19-2012, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Question: where does 'normal' ends, when starts 'mini' and where does it change into 'micro'? *confused* This build is 1/96th and is in my eyes not mini or micro in any way...
Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
For me anything under 1/24 is micro, but thats just me.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
The rocket may have started at 1/96 scale but those detailing bits sure look pretty small to me ...

Yogi
Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM

Okay folks, There is lots of progress but so far not really new stuff to show. Four strap ons are just four times the same exercise. They look awesome, though, with the chrome gloss tape over the engine parts. I have decided to let the other two be for a while and concentrate on the upper stage. After that, I'll build the next two strap ons.
I already have two other rockets readied for building after this one. So plenty to do!

On another note: I heard yesterday we'll get a new assignment for another documentary film we'll start working on in the end of May. This time it'll be a film about the conservatory here. It will take us one and a half year further until we'll have the premiere. The film about the architects is due for release in late June. So (again) plenty to do! (-;
Pics follow soon.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Short update: Stage 3 has been done. pics fllow. It almost was all for nothing, I got a little distracted, lost concentration for a bit and accidentally touched the newly built stage with a finger that apparently had some paint on. Aww shucks (and other, much more ugly words).
Oooooookay, what to do? I felt some surgery was the only way to rescue the piece.
I carefully cut out and removed the cylindrical part with the paint stains and replaced it with a new piece. Glue strips inside made the fit snug and tight. I camouflaged the seams with two silver strips that would go on there anyway. Nothing to see now.
So, again, I had to remind myself not to do several tasks at the same time and to keep my fingers clean at all time. I was so busy correcting my mistake I didn't take any pictures of the surgery itself. I'll post some pics tomorrow of the progress.
The Soyuz is starting to look awesome.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.02 MB
Wow.....

Two reasons for said "wow":
1. The excellent work you are doing, almost makes me ashamed to try my hand at these models.
2. The reference to Leo's, Lars' and Raimondo's models. Just spent the last 40 minutes downloading everything I could find.

Oh boy, more projects!!
papermodelers (at) pembertontechnologies (dot) com
Old 02-26-2012, 04:51 PM

Thanks, Layne, but as you might have read I can make really stupid mistakes so that makes me just another clumsy builder.
Just never be ashamed to try any model. Do one and just be proud with the end result. Then try another one and make it better. And another one. Lars' models are very nice starting models. I'd say Leo's models are a bit more elaborate but very well doable.
Just keep your hands clean! (-;
Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
I had to learn the same thing on my last model. I promised to wear gloves when touching models then. But soon after, I realized that I already did it again... not a good learning courve, is it?

Looking forward to see the next pictures!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
I've built Lar's Vostok, and it is a GREAT model if you don't want Leo's HUGE one. I've also build half of this Gagarin rocket. remember, IF you screw up, just rpint another one!!!!! I actually had too, to patch up my shoddy work on the side of stage three. =]
Old 02-27-2012, 11:30 AM

As promised, here are some pictures. The old smudged and cut-out mid section of stage 3 with its replacement (still in need of the instrument lines and tunnels), the silvery engine section with one engine bell in place (yes, with a coolant ring around the bell - made of brass (sue me )) and the next to come other three main engines of stage 3. they're made from dull light aluminium coloured metallic paper which I painted metallic orange on the inside. (the engine bells are often shown red because of the protective covers they have until they arrive on the pad but the real insides are metallic orange, as far as I have found out).

After finishing that I'll do the other two strap on boosters. Then I'll do the shroud and inside will be a Soyuz, of course. I hope I'll manage to get it inside and showable.

When working to get the new mid section printed out, I first tried regular paper. It was much lighter than expected. Then I used my regular 200 gram A4 paper and used the regular settings and it turned out much darker and actually what I had in mind (the rest is printed out on the same paper) but I was surprised by the difference in colour.

On a side note: Next, after this build I'll do either Yogi's Atlas V 551 in 1/96 with a nice metallic bronze coloured paper (as seen at the last picture) or I'll do Mark Cables Titan IIIe - for which I have the option to use the blueish metallic card on the last photo. It actually looks more blue than grey. Do you think it's (about) the right colour for a Titan?
The middle one is used for the engine bells of the Soyuz rocket. Its colour actually is one and a half or two tints lighter as the colour of a MacBookPro.
Attached Thumbnails
Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-29.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-30.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-31.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-32.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-33.jpg  

Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-difference-print.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-metallic-paper-colours.jpg