PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-28-2012, 05:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
I've done an Atlas V using that bronze paper; it looks quite sharp. One tip: mask off sections of the paper and lightly sand some areas to give a (slight) bit of contrast. You'll do a great job, I'm sure.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hi David, thanks for that tip I aready was wondering on how I could give the hull more nuance. The original certainly has several shades.

This is the bit of work on the Soyuz I did this morning before I went off to work:
Attached Thumbnails
Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-cimg4661.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-cimg4662.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-cimg4663.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Now that's a fitting start to the day - simply beautiful.
Yogi
Old 03-03-2012, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.07 MB
Hey PK, graet idea with the silver tape. looks great. Canīt wait to see the finished model. I like Leos rockets but i am very confused with all the details. Think i need more practice for this models.

regards spacewalker
Old 03-04-2012, 04:57 AM

Thanks, Spacewalker. I find Leo's models are easy enough, though. Those small details quite simply find their way and place on the model. The smallest parts of this one are also doable in 1/96, albeit without the glue tabs. I just CA them together on the edges.
So, stage three is ready. Four engines, four vernier engines, the instrument tunnels and a little gloss on the tank top. Because.

But what is a Soyuz rocket without a Soyuz to carry up to the ISS? So I enlarged Alfonso's special Gagarin Soyuz spacecraft to 104% and tweaked it here and there.
I used the silver tape for several parts, I scratched some new KURS antennas, the hatch got a little makeover with silver paper, the solar panels were scratchbuilt too and the camera pod got an actual lens made from a silicate moisture bead. The back end also had some greeblies added.

It fits wonderfully well and makes the rocket a complete stack in the end. Now I have to figure out how to split the shroud, which in Leo's kit is just one piece. I already have some ideas but I think I'll have to test it first.
Up next is those other two strap on boosters. Not particularly looking forward to it but they have to be made. They go together like a dream but it is kind of tedious making those same things four times. Oh well. It's not much of a problem, anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-34.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-35.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-36.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-37.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-38.jpg  

Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-39.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-40.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-41.jpg  
Old 03-04-2012, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
If you think trying to make for boosters is hard, try the 12 levels of pad 39A. ARGH. or the 18 of the LUT. Great work!!!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:47 AM

Hahaha! You win, Mo. thing I dread more is the twenty engine bells and the twelve vernier engines. They're small. And curved. And I want to do some coolant piping 'round them. But okay, yeah, I know. A LUT and that Shuttle Launch Complex is a much bigger task.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:27 AM

Here I am again.
I had some trouble with my (new) camera and what it did to my Mac.
My old camera broke a couple of days ago and my mum was so kind to give me her old(ish) compact camera. A Lumix DMC TZ7. And what a nice camera it is. Closer up I have never been. Awesome results! And of course, all of the smallest little mistakes are plainly visible.
More trouble started when I wanted to add all the made pics to iPhoto. My Mac went completely bonkers on me and didn't want to recognise all my other photos in its files. I spent all night (well, my Mac did) to reload all my photos into the program. Anyway, now it has been restored to almost normal, some (no, a lot of) pictures still need to be rotated again.
So far for the ranting, the build now.

I have finished the booster strap ons only the engines and the shroud left. I have some special ideas for the shroud to make it split in two to show the Soyuz inside. Unfortunately, Leo's model provides only one seam, in the middle of one of the two shroud halves, even though the seam could be hidden away underneath one of the actual seam strips over the shroud halves that are in the kit. That's perhaps the only little flaw in this model. I would have tried to hide as much of the seams as possible. On a rocket this is easily done under instrument tunnels, external fuel lines, etc. It immediately also hides a lot of traces of the glue tabs inside.
The file is (of course) protected so it isn't changeable. I will have to figure out something else to get rid of that seam..
Here are some pictures of this build with the new camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-42.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-43.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-44.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-45.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-46.jpg  

Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-47.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-48.jpg  
Old 03-12-2012, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've often wondered if it were possible to use foil on one of these and you have answered my question! Thanks!

Very nice work.

Best wishes
Steve
Old 03-12-2012, 04:04 PM

Hi Steve.
It is not foil in the strict sense of aluminium or Bare Metal Foil. I used tape almost similar to masking tape but used for taping together isolating underlayment for laminate floors. It has the same thickness as regular masking tape and it feels the same. It only is silver. Bare Metal Foil of course is also an option only this is cheaper, I guess.

By the way; I already have found a way to do the shroud the way I want it, and without the seam in the middle. (-;