PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-16-2012, 09:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Vem, I guess Calinous meant the photo's look slightly out of focus. Assuming you held your camera too close, he suggested to use the macro modus of your camera. Since these photos were details of bigger pictures, it of course makes sense the pictures you posted are a little blurred.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 AM

Anyway, I also did some work today. It's not yet finished but it starts to look like it. Better fit, good curves, and as an extra, I did the outside with silk gloss photo paper. It adds a little different texture to the shroud compared to the rocket hull. The four strap ons are attached to the central stage, but I haven't taken pictures of that yet. Next are the top and the engines.

(I have to admit I'd rather work smaller. I don't know why, it just feels better. But since all of my rocket garden is in 1/96, well, okay.)
Attached Thumbnails
Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-59.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-60.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-61.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-62.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-63.jpg  

Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-64.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-65.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-66.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-67.jpg  
Old 03-16-2012, 01:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
great work!! Holding it together might be a problem though.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Good grief you even added stringers!? You are modeling this with the shroud open I'm guessing. Fantastic work. Truly!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
PK - have you considered joining the two halves with a modified tongue-and-groove joint (similar to the X-37 fairing here Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ... ). Since you'll have a vertical seam regardless, consider adding an inner vertical strip to one side of the cylinder seam sticking out slightly to form the tongue, then putting a backset spacer strip on the inside of the other half and another vertical strip inside that to form the groove.
Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-bodyjoint.gif
Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 74.80 MB
Well done. Only the inner lane is better to do than the outside. Securely held. In the photo, they are the same. This is not correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-img_4427_m.jpg  
Old 03-17-2012, 11:15 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, They're appreciated. My solution is somewhat simpler. I even is so simple some might consider it cheating.
The two halves are arranged thus: One is fixed to the third stage. In this half I added two little pieces on the bottom edge of both sides:
Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-68.jpg
In the other half, the loose one, I glued two small nails of which I dremeled off the head and pointy bit. They were placed in the same spot as the bits in the fixed half.
Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-69.jpg
Can you guess what I used?
Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-70.jpg Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-71.jpg

Indeed, magnets. On the top part I have something planned to keep the two halves firmly together. And of course there will be a small strip to camouflage the seam a bit.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.90 MB

Hi PK

Great friend of the magnet!

Back there on the windowsill ready for four "Morkovka"??

Zoli

Old 03-17-2012, 11:42 AM

Hi Merzo, yes, the four carrots are already attached to the core stage. (-;
They still need to get their engine bells. A dreadful job but it has to happen soon...
Old 03-18-2012, 11:38 AM

Much work done on the shroud today. All the small bits and pieces went on and the idea I had for securing the closure of the shroud halves worked: two small rings, both glued in both halves of the shroud top, in which fits a metal dowel from an IKEA Billy bookshelf (yes, this has become an IKEA-hack). There still are some ugly bits here and there, a far from perfect fit due to what I have done with it and impatience here and there. But it also is because the camera can get really close now and show all irregularities in this build. I'm not afraid to show them to you, but you also know that when seen in real, these irregularities are hardly visible. The seam has been beautifully camouflaged with the strip along the edges. The Soyuz still fits very well into the payload bay and now the shroud closes up very nice.
On top and around the dowel I plan to make the escape tower. That's something for tomorrow or later. This is how far I got today.
Attached Thumbnails
Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-75.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-76.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-77.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-78.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-81.jpg  

Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-85.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-86.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-89.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-91.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-92.jpg