PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-18-2012, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
On another note: this afternoon I received a PM from Leo Cherkashyn that he's allright with me sharing the modification I made. So maybe in the nearby future I'll tell some more about it. First I want to get this build out of the way.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
Great to HEar!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 42.01 MB
This build is looking better and better, and the paper engineering behind it looks more and more interesting (the simpler that works, the better)
Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Amazing things you are doing with a model that was already great.

Keeping en eye n your progress...
Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 AM

Finished!

Well, I guess this is it. I tried my best on the twelve tiny rocket motors all the way up on top of the escape tower but they just were a size too small for me. I hope you can forgive me for that. The rest of all the parts though, are used.
I had a lot of fun building this. For the first time I also used a lot of different kinds of paper in this build. I like how this one came out although I am not completely satisfied. I think it always has room for improvement. And that's good.
The escape tower is almost completely massive. I rolled up paper to the thickness of the outer layer. The engines on the escape tower were rolled using a cocktail stick. the tube alongside the tower is made of some pieces of brass wire painted white.
Inside the lower part of the tower I inserted and glued the dowel that goes into the shroud. Inside up in the shroud I placed a styrofoam ball (first covered in a layer of white glue to get rid of the styrofoam texture and after drying painted green with acrylic) that represents the fuel tank there (at least I presume it's a fuel tank). The dowel shoves inside this ball and sits there quite tightly. This whole construction is the thing I like the most of this build.
All the engines also got a little BB gun pellet as weight on top before insertion in the engine compartments. The hardest part of this build is getting the rocket level, which is almost impossible because it stands on the smallest engines and you can almost not prevent the small deviation in the placing of each engine. But when the Soyuz is placed in the right angle you won't really notice. This rocket now leans a bit against the platform of the big Saturn V behind her and that keeps her straight.

Up next: another launcher in 1/96.
(The last picture is of four older models I had that were placed on a little ugly piece of foam board. I now gave them a proper base. Thought you'd might like to see them, too.)
Attached Thumbnails
Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-96.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-97.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-98.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-99.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-100.jpg  

Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-101.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-102.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-103.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-104.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-105.jpg  

Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-106.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-107.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-108.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-soyuz-fg-gagarin-109.jpg   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96-p1010206.jpg  

Old 03-23-2012, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
PK, you never cease to amaze!

Mike
Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Great work!
Old 03-23-2012, 11:46 AM

Thanks, guys.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 50.69 MB
Thanks, PK! This is inspiration for when I have time to do my 1:96 build of this piece of awesomeness!
Last Build - 1:48 F1 Engine
Current Build - Mammoth Tank (Scale unknown)
Next Build - P-3 Orion (VQ-1 livery)
Old 03-23-2012, 01:47 PM

Really looking forward to see that, Gideon. The model itself is easy to put together, even in this scale. I let myself go in the somewhat redundant, unnecessary detailing.

With this one, I think, I also lost a bit of my concentration in the end, I must admit. It looks okay but the finishing has been a little bit quick and messy. I think I have been working on solely this one for too long. It perhaps needed a little inbetweenie build.

Oh, and sometime soon I'll post the small mod I did for this in the downloads section.