PaperModelers.com

PaperModelers.com (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/)
-   PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/pasa-paper-aeronautical-space-administration/)
-   -   Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96 (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/pasa-paper-aeronautical-space-administration/18447-soyuz-fg-gagarin-1-96-a.html)

Paper Kosmonaut 02-16-2012 10:46 AM

Soyuz FG "Gagarin" 1/96

16 Attachment(s)
Attachment 118068Attachment 118069

With the joy of having a fresh sharp blade in the cutter, I have started out on a 50% reduced version of Leo Cherkashyn's Soyuz launcher. He made a special edition for the 50th anniversary of Gagarin's launch, which was in April last year*. Unbelievable this rocket still is going strong! I have made this rocket three times already, in several scales. 1/200 (Sputnik - Lars Folmann), 1/48 (Voskhod - Leo Cherkashyn), 1/144 (Soyuz - Raimondo Fortezza) but since my "Official Rocket Garden" is scaled in 1/96th, I decided to do one more in this scale. The first rockets I made are from two years ago now and when I look at them, I see all kinds of things I now would do different. But they still look good, I think.

Attachment 118070Attachment 118071Attachment 118072Attachment 118073Attachment 118074

Well, first parts are the central core booster, or stage 2 (stage 1 being the strap-ons). Leo's kits are reliable in this sense: they always fit very well. While working on it I kind of felt there was something missing. Then Merzo very thoughtful mailed me a very big file full of detailed Soyuz assembly pictures. While I first wanted an easy build, I now was on a different track. I knew what my build lacked. Thanks Merzo!
Detail! Shiny detail! The business ends of the Soyuz have parts that are made of very smooth polished pieces of bare metal. I thought a while and remembered I had this roll of silver tape I used for taping the insulation floor together beneath the laminate floorboards in my GF's house. This did the trick.

Attachment 118075Attachment 118076Attachment 118077Attachment 118078Attachment 118079Attachment 118080

The core stage was done with a small strip around the body and housings for the Vernier steering engines as well as the bottom part. Then I went on with the first of the four stap-ons. I decided to do them one by one and not in serial construction to prevent it getting tedious.
I used the tape again and added some carved lines into the part for panel lines. I added some weight to the bottom of the booster, planning to do this with all four of them. It might keep the stack from getting too top heavy and falling over. It all went together smoothly and now it's awaiting its top part.
I decided to take it easy on this build, there's a lot of work ahead job-wise, so I think I have to take it slow.
Anyway, this was the first part.

Attachment 118081Attachment 118082Attachment 118083

*To make things clear: the Russians have launched this rocket with special insignia - and Leo made this into this model. It's not Leo's own invention.

cardist 02-16-2012 11:04 AM

I have all of Leo's rockets, but they are still in the to-do pile. However, I have built the Gagarin Vostok capsule in 1/48 scale. I concur with you, they are wonderful kits and a pleasure to build, never mind look at. As always, your builds are informative and a pleasure to follow. Thanks for sharing.
All the best and happy modelling,
Bernie

Gideon 02-16-2012 12:30 PM

I will be watching this thread with great interest as I intend to build it in 1/96 as well to match my rocket garden. I'm especially interested to see how the LES tower goes at this scale. Please expand on any issues you encounter at this scale and how you resolved them. I will refer to this thread often when the time comes for my build.

Go, PK!

Paper Kosmonaut 02-16-2012 01:05 PM

Bernie, I built Leo's Voskhod capsule and I was surprised how his technique of small rings turned out to be a nice ball. His rockets are much easier, though. However, he does include a lot of tiny details, so indeed, Gideon, it will be quite a challenge. The first of the three or four millimeter sized parts are already cut out. Those Vernier engines too will be something to look forward to. I will keep you all posted.

merzo 02-16-2012 02:42 PM

Hi PK

Good job. I 1/96 scale I felt a little bit of .

Gratula

merzo

closet astronaut 02-16-2012 03:42 PM

Screeming for the finnish line of Gutzmers contest?

obwand10 02-16-2012 03:45 PM

WOW! GReat Job!!!! i've built the top half of this rocket, and it was HARD/GREAT/FUN to build, I love Leo's rockets, and they are a GREAT pleasure to build.

Paper Kosmonaut 02-16-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by closet astronaut (Post 271836)
Screeming for the finnish line of Gutzmers contest?

Not sure what you mean with that. Does Chris have a new contest out? I never have entered one before. But I certainly am not going to haste myself with this one. Too much other stuff on my mind (-:

closet astronaut 02-16-2012 08:45 PM

Sorry but yea...I saw a thread title on the home page the other day and clicked on it, I could have sworn I saw a reply by you on there taking him up on the chalenge. My bad. I just went back and searched for it but he actually has several contests going on.

Paper Kosmonaut 02-17-2012 05:20 AM

Doesn't matter. Besides, I just not feel I am ready for a contest, actually. I still see too many little mistakes and irregularities in my builds. It still is far from what I would call perfect and I am 'afraid' I will never get there. But the road to perfection is a long and very enjoyable one, that's for sure.