PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 04-01-2012, 12:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
History learns that old or cancelled projects never resurface, unfortunately. Shame, because some definitely deserve a rematch.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Build X20B, or X38 full scale, allow room for a pilot and 7 passengers, or the equivalent mass in cargo.
Either craft, constructed of modern materials, would serve mankind well into next century without major issues, for getting to and from ISS.

The money for the project is easily found.
Cut off all aid to Africa, and reduce the UN budget by 80%.
Financial problem would thus be solved.
And in all truth, the money thus released would be going to a far more productive and better use.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Speaking of the ATV, there was this interesting excerpt in a story today at spaceflightnow.com about ESA ending production of the ATV:

One option, tentatively favored by Germany but dismissed by Italian and French space officials, is to sign an agreement with NASA to supply a service module to the Orion crew capsule, or multipurpose crew vehicle. The service module would be based on the ATV's propulsion section.

It's been ages since I've built anything (have been busy and just generally uninspired, model-wise) but that would be an interesting scratchbuild.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:47 PM

Dave, unfortunately inspiration cannot be forced into being. But I have to say that I kind of miss your contributions here. I learnt a lot from your builds. Hopefully you will have some new inspiration soon.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:27 PM

I have a big stack of models printed out and ready to go, but I find I just need to know I'm going to have a big stretch of time to devote to them, and lately, my life hasn't provided a lot of that. Plus -- and I'm probably no different from anyone else here -- when I finally decide to build a model, I kind of go whole-hog.
Google Adsense
Old 04-04-2012, 04:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
Speaking of the ATV, there was this interesting excerpt in a story today at spaceflightnow.com about ESA ending production of the ATV:

One option, tentatively favored by Germany but dismissed by Italian and French space officials, is to sign an agreement with NASA to supply a service module to the Orion crew capsule, or multipurpose crew vehicle. The service module would be based on the ATV's propulsion section.

It's been ages since I've built anything (have been busy and just generally uninspired, model-wise) but that would be an interesting scratchbuild.
Don't bother. This relates to a NASA idea fielded last year. They proposed to ESA to have the Orion Service Module based upon ATV technology. Bad idea. It will push the Orion schedule to the right (delay) and will cost lots of money, on top of the money already invested into Orion so far. Not to mention that an SM for Orion is already under contract with Lockheed Martin. It's a political idea. NASA wants European involvement with Orion and SLS, to share some of the cost of the proposed BEO (Beyond Earth Orbit) missions planned for SLS and Orion.
However, both France and Italy saw the proposal for what it is: a really bad idea, and dismissed it. Only Germany gave a positive response. No surprise there: they have high stakes in ATV.
However, with two of the three biggest contributors to ESA opposed the proposal for a European Orion-SM will likely be dismissed at the next ESA ministerial conference, set for later this year.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods170 View Post
Don't bother. This relates to a NASA idea fielded last year. They proposed to ESA to have the Orion Service Module based upon ATV technology. Bad idea. It will push the Orion schedule to the right (delay) and will cost lots of money, on top of the money already invested into Orion so far. Not to mention that an SM for Orion is already under contract with Lockheed Martin. It's a political idea. NASA wants European involvement with Orion and SLS, to share some of the cost of the proposed BEO (Beyond Earth Orbit) missions planned for SLS and Orion.
However, both France and Italy saw the proposal for what it is: a really bad idea, and dismissed it. Only Germany gave a positive response. No surprise there: they have high stakes in ATV.
However, with two of the three biggest contributors to ESA opposed the proposal for a European Orion-SM will likely be dismissed at the next ESA ministerial conference, set for later this year.
If you're a "real space" modeler, there's probably a portion of your display shelf taken up by models of spacecraft that never got past the drawing board. I was just saying it would be an interesting model to scratchbuild....
Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 AM

It sure is an interesting idea.
But even if the ATV won't be a service module, it still could be a habitat/supply vehicle docked to Orion's front end during a BEO mission. It is roomy enough and might have its advantages like that. Docking should not be a really big problem, just an adapter is enough, AFAIK.
Didn't you already make something likewise, David?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
It sure is an interesting idea.
But even if the ATV won't be a service module, it still could be a habitat/supply vehicle docked to Orion's front end during a BEO mission. It is roomy enough and might have its advantages like that. Docking should not be a really big problem, just an adapter is enough, AFAIK.
Didn't you already make something likewise, David?
I did, indeed.

I was contemplating getting off my butt this weekend and maybe tackling Ton's Dragon capsule, but maybe in 1/48th. Looks like it would be an easy, straightforward build to get me back into things, but would still have a little room for some scratchbuilding if I wanted to improve the solar arrays. I'll have to see how things go this weekend.

That said (and not to hijack the thread) I'm wondering what the open end of Dragon's trunk will look like. Ton has it open and every artist rendering I've seen of it shows it to be open and filled with some kind of equipment/avionics boxes. But I'm wondering if, in real life, the thing will be covered with Mylar, ala the rear end of the Gemini spacecraft.

Last edited by dhanners; 04-04-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
I did, indeed.

I was contemplating getting off my butt this weekend and maybe tackling Ton's Dragon capsule, but maybe in 1/48th. Looks like it would be an easy, straightforward build to get me back into things, but would still have a little room for some scratchbuilding if I wanted to improve the solar arrays. I'll have to see how things go this weekend.

That said (and not to hijack the thread) I'm wondering what the open end of Dragon's trunk will look like. Ton has it open and every artist rendering I've seen of it shows it to be open and filled with some kind of equipment/avionics boxes. But I'm wondering if, in real life, the thing will be covered with Mylar, ala the rear end of the Gemini spacecraft.
No, it won't be covered. I'm on the L2 section of NSF. We've just had access to a NASA presentation on the robotics involved with the C2/C3 berthing at ISS. The ISS robotic arm (SSRMS) will be used to berth Dragon. But, after that, it will pick-up Dextre to have a look into Dragon's trunk to assess lighting conditions and the amount of 'elbow-room' inside the trunk. This relates to future Dragon missions when ORU's will be brought up to ISS inside Dragon's trunk. Those will then be removed by SSRMS in combination with Dextre.