PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 04-05-2012, 03:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
It sure is an interesting idea.
But even if the ATV won't be a service module, it still could be a habitat/supply vehicle docked to Orion's front end during a BEO mission. It is roomy enough and might have its advantages like that. Docking should not be a really big problem, just an adapter is enough, AFAIK.
Didn't you already make something likewise, David?
Won't happen either. NASA is currently working on a Deep Space Habitat (DSH) for BEO missions based on ISS hardware. More specifically: A habitat module based on the current Destiny module, a new airlock module and a storage/docking module based om the MPLM design.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by woods170 View Post
No, it won't be covered. I'm on the L2 section of NSF. We've just had access to a NASA presentation on the robotics involved with the C2/C3 berthing at ISS. The ISS robotic arm (SSRMS) will be used to berth Dragon. But, after that, it will pick-up Dextre to have a look into Dragon's trunk to assess lighting conditions and the amount of 'elbow-room' inside the trunk. This relates to future Dragon missions when ORU's will be brought up to ISS inside Dragon's trunk. Those will then be removed by SSRMS in combination with Dextre.
Thanks. Modeling-wise, that's a bummer. That Mylar could've hidden the rod I was going to use for the solar arrays.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
I've been an L2 subscriber in the past, particularly when I was on the hunt for research info; they always seemed to have good resource material there.

That said, on SpaceX's website, the artist renderings of Dragon show an open rear trunk with avionics/equipment boxes. But the sideview cutaway drawings SpaceX has of the capsule and trunk, they show the rear of the trunk capped with an inverted truncated cone (ala the rear of the Gemini spacecraft) and that led to my original question if the back would have been covered with insulating material. I mentioned Mylar, but I guess it could've just as easily been covered with something like the insulation blankets on the ATV.

In modeling the thing, I was thinking of connecting the solar arrays with a rod of some sort; that would provide strength and also keep them in line. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
How is the real one done?

Perhaps you could use a 'bent' rod (think of Steve Martin's arrow through the head prop) so the rod doesn't pass straight through. Alternatively, you might use a rod attached to a flattened lever that is embedded in the shell wall. Just wondering how the real thing is engineered? Although "weightless" the arrays are not massless, and can develop some torque and leverage against the mounting, hence the need for a sturdy connection to resist acceleration. No chewing gum mounting there!
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale