PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-26-2012, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.07 MB
esa Advanced Re-entry Vehicle (ARV) 1:100

Hello everyone, itīs time for a new spacemodel.

I found a picture from a model at the german spacecenter in Cologne.
This is the Advanced Re-entry Vehicle based on the ATV.
I think this is a nice concept. My model based on Alfonsoīs ATV in 1:100 and parts from Tonīs ACTS in 1:96. The model is not finish yet. In the next days coming more details.

Hope You like it

regards spacewalker
Attached Thumbnails
esa Advanced Re-entry Vehicle (ARV) 1:100-arv-esa-1.jpg   esa Advanced Re-entry Vehicle (ARV) 1:100-arv-esa-2.jpg   esa Advanced Re-entry Vehicle (ARV) 1:100-103_0120.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
A nice concept and looking good!
Old 02-28-2012, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice concept. Shame the real thing will never be. ESA decided not to fund a development study for ARV. After a promising start it was basically killed off by the ESA ministerial conference a few years ago.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.07 MB
Hey folks.
I finished the ARV. I think the ARV project is not complete dead. Dr. Reiter from esa spoke last september in a presentation about this. The phase A study from esa and Astrium finished in 2011. I mean the project is parked for a wihle. (Europe have not enough money to finance a new spacecraft and corrupt politicians in some member countrys in the Eurozone at the same time.)
I hope this one will go in space someday. (inclusive the manned version and a manrated Ariane 5???!!!!)

regards spacewalker
Attached Thumbnails
esa Advanced Re-entry Vehicle (ARV) 1:100-arv-esa-3.jpg   esa Advanced Re-entry Vehicle (ARV) 1:100-arv-esa-4.jpg   esa Advanced Re-entry Vehicle (ARV) 1:100-arv-esa-5.jpg   esa Advanced Re-entry Vehicle (ARV) 1:100-arv-esa-6.jpg   esa Advanced Re-entry Vehicle (ARV) 1:100-arv-space.jpg  

Old 03-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Nicely done! For these projects, as some point everyone will wake up and realize all you need is a basic SPAM can to get up and down to LEO (make it cheap!). From there outward we'll need something with more habitability (Salyut/ISS/Tiangong module on an advanced propulsion stack) and without the extra weight of the re-entry and landing gear.

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 03-03-2012, 09:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
BEAUTIFUL job!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:18 AM

@Yogi: Indeed. I cannot stress that enough. I feel it's such a missed opportunity that there's not any more constructive cooperation in space exploration. We need to do a thing like that together, as the people of Earth, not as any particular nation. Perhaps then there also will come a change in how we look at each other down here.
Sometimes I feel really sad about how people always seem to miss the greater picture. We already *could* have been further out there somewhere.

I wonder what the reasons were behind the changes to the appearance of the ARV compared to the Advanced Re-entry Demonstrator that ESA launched almost 15 years ago.
... Woods170?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
I wonder what the reasons were behind the changes to the appearance of the ARV compared to the Advanced Re-entry Demonstrator that ESA launched almost 15 years ago.
... Woods170?
I hear yah Paper. The ARD used the outer shape of the Apollo Command Module. It was a quick project, and they didn't want to waste time on researching the optimal shape. CNES was aware that the Apollo CM shape worked fine, so they chose to base ARD on that particular shape. However, using the general shape of the Apollo CM on ATV provides for insuffient space inside the ARV (the walls are too steeply angled inwards, providing for not a whole lotta room) So, the angle of the ARV outer wall was decreased, much like SpaceX did with the Dragon capsule. Remember, ARV still had to be able to bring up a significant amount of cargo to ISS, whilst being able to also return a significant amount of cargo. With that being the main drivers behind the design, you don't go for an Apollo CM shaped capsule.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacewalker View Post
Hey folks.
I think the ARV project is not complete dead. Dr. Reiter from esa spoke last september in a presentation about this. The phase A study from esa and Astrium finished in 2011. I mean the project is parked for a wihle.
I hate to disappoint you, but the project is not parked. It is in indefinite limbo. The phase A study was indeed finished in 2011. No funds were provided by the ministerial conference for anything beyond that. So, Astrium and ESA finished the study and archived everything. With no follow-up study or development being financed, the effort has been closed down. Maybe not permanently, but it is no longer an active ESA project.

Naturally, the effort could always be restarted if the ESA ministerial conference decided to finance some sort of follow-up work. But that currently is not the case. ESA is now working on a proposal to do an ATV-derived Service Module for the Orion spacecraft. They were asked by NASA to come up with such a proposal. Dr. Reiter recently confirmed that ESA is working on such a proposal. However, several ESA memberstates, such as Italy and France have publically anounced their opposition to this proposal. So far, the only ESA member responding favorably to this proposal is Germany.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:39 AM

And of course an extra advantage: the possibility for a much larger hatch.