PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-31-2012, 05:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Little surprise coming soon for you guys, photos of my work on the Side 1 pipping!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 AM

Hi guys, long time no talk, just thought id turn the conversation to paper for a while on the thread. Id like to know what everybody's favorite paper to work with is. I like to use Epson Presentation Paper Matte 13" x 19" 102 g/m with an bit of Staples Matte White Brochure & Flyer Paper 8.5" x 11" 170 g/m for various reinforcements.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:03 AM

I like 110# cardstock, 8.5x11". Pretty much use it for everything
Old 04-06-2012, 08:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hi Don, good to see you back here. I use a lot of different types of paper nowadays. For SRM's and nose cones I like to use silk gloss photo paper, it shines but not too glossy, which is unrealistic. For the rest, I often use coloured paper of variable thickness and strengths with approximately the same colour as my build for inner structures or reinforcement. My common basic building material is 200 gram (±110lb) A4 laserjet paper which I put through my inkjet, which works fine.

I always look for structures in paper to be able to use them for a special purpose. Brownish beige ribbed structured fibrous paper might be very good for the skin of an Shuttle External Tank or a Delta IV booster. Paper with a little fabric like structure in it might be useful as the thermal blankets on the shuttle. Silver paper is good for Atlas type rockets, and so on. Try and find some of David Hanners' builds here (dhanners). He does magic combining all kinds of paper, including toilet paper! (-:
Old 04-06-2012, 01:18 PM

Thats awesome! Never thought of using toilet paper on a model. But i will say im planning on doing a little something special for the wings for my model of Columbia, balsa wood struts with an aluminum skin for a little smoothness over the wooden beams, then probably use a spray adhesive to attach AXM's skins to my wing design, still working on the rest. Its gonna take me forever to complete all these models, but as Agatha Christie said in the seventh episode of the forth season of Doctor Who "The thrill is in the chase, never the capture!"
Old 04-06-2012, 04:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
I use 67lb for EVERYTHING. It seems a little more flexible than 110lb(to me), but when working with pre printed models, I don't have a choice.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
All I use is 110lb 8.5 X 11, I live out in the sticks and the nearest store is 25 miles away that has cardstock. It is 75 miles to the nearest office supply store so I use what I can get.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:53 AM

Staples is 20 miles to the north of me up in Sioux Falls but there is a True Hardware store here in Canton, but I will say we all do what we must.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 50.69 MB
60lb. cover stock is my paper of choice (I've yet to use anything else). I found it interesting that all types of papers (i.e. bond, offset, cover, index, etc.) have different weights for the exact same thickness of paper. You would think they would make it easier than that. The "weight" is apparently the weight of 500 sheets of that type paper in it's "basic" size. So, for instance, cover stock's basic size is 20" x 26" while index's basic size is 25.5" x 30.5". Therefore, index is "heavier" than cover when the thickness is the same. Confusing enough? Here's a link to help you out.

Paper Weight - Conversion Chart
Last Build - 1:48 F1 Engine
Current Build - Mammoth Tank (Scale unknown)
Next Build - P-3 Orion (VQ-1 livery)
Old 04-12-2012, 02:36 PM

DigiCopy uses a rating called caliper to denote paper thickness more accurately than weight:

DigiCOPY - Paper Selection

110lb cardstock is 9.0 caliper, 80lb cover is 7.3, for a few examples.
Google Adsense