PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96

So yes, I got Mark Cable's excellent looking Titan IIIe from Ecardmodels and this here will be my building of it. Because I am nuts, as some of you might know, I am going to try and make the stages a little more detailed and inside the payload fairing, which will be able to open, there will be a Centaur with on top a small 1/96 Voyager on its little kick motor.

But we are not that far yet. I just am rounding up the building of the two stages of the Titan. I made some small but significant changes to the parts by changing the place where the seam runs - it is now underneath where a cable run will go- and I added the interstage section to the first stage instead of where it was, on the second one.
During the assembly of both stages I made good use of my circle cutter. It is such a nifty little device. Worth all of its 27 euro.

The innards were made by rolling thick paper (the silvery paper I printed on is quite thin) into cyinders and fit them tighty into the silver ones. Then 3 or 4 stiffening circles are places inside and glued.

The drywall mesh tape was perfect for the blast holes in the interstage. I just had to cut off a few of the horizontal pieces in the mesh. So now, the boat tail and the fairing and the rest. And five pictures for you people to look at.
Attached Thumbnails
Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-001.jpg   Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-002.jpg   Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-003.jpg   Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-004.jpg   Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-005.jpg  

Titan IIIe "Voyager" 1977 1/96-titan-iiie-006.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 50.69 MB
Is that circle cutter infinitely adjustable or does it have pre-defined stops? And what is the smallest circle you can cut with it?
Last Build - 1:48 F1 Engine
Current Build - Mammoth Tank (Scale unknown)
Next Build - P-3 Orion (VQ-1 livery)
Old 03-26-2012, 11:55 AM

It can reach from 20 mm to 170 mm. So that is enough for model rockets, I guess. For smaller stuff I use hollow punches. And I have to say the 20mm circles are a bit harder to cut because of the division of pressure and circular motion you have to use. (is that understandable? )
Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
I really should get around to buying one of these(model AND circle cutter). Great work so far!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:48 PM

Thanks, Maly.
this is one of the probably many places you can buy that cutter online.
The kit is great, I found a small error, Mark is updating the kit at Ecardmodels. For the rest, this one looks great. The printed texture on the hull is so meticulous and accurate.
However, I never seem to be able to make a model just "OOB" as far as we can speak of boxes with downloadable models. But the original is already very very good. And that also goes for Mark's models here in the download section.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Very ambitious project you have going here. I love to see your builds, with fairings coming loose and stages separating. It's just not any fun if you can't show the innards, is it?
Let me know if you need any pictures of the kick motor -- I've managed to amass a few decent pictures of it so far. I have a prototype drawn and built of the kick motor that I've been working on for my 1/24 Voyager build, which I've tried to replicate as closely as possible using blueprints and pictures from terrible angles. (In the 70s, the engineers never thought to take pictures for us modelers. :D)
Old 03-26-2012, 06:16 PM

Thanks! I'll buy one as soon as I'm in a situation where I need to cut circles..... not for a long time. But the site has been bookmarked, so never fear. I don't know what you would call a paper model OOB.....
Old 03-27-2012, 03:23 AM

Maly: OOB is the abbreviation plastic modelers use when they build their model Out of the Box, doing without detailing PE (Photo Etch) sets or resin (resin) parts.

Joseph: I'd really like some pictures of the kick motor to go with this build. I have Yogi's model here but every detail I can add is great!
By the way, apart from not taking photographs of their work, the 70's engineers were also too busy with their appearance:

(this one's taken round 1972, during training for apollo 17)
Old 03-27-2012, 05:20 AM

yeah, I know. I travel around the Plastic Modeling forums
Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 AM

I know you do. (-;