PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbergstromslc View Post
I respect your old school, by-hand design & construction method. This 'draw it on the computer, print it out and fold it up' stuff is crap...
I respect his old-school techniques as well.

However, not all of us are as skilled as Merzo, and designing on the computer is the only practical way for some of use to get the results we desire. Fortunately, the technology make the hobby more accessable to a lot more people, so I for one am happy and thankful for it, and I draw inspiration from master craftsmen like Merzo who can make paper, card, and any other material they choose to work with bend to their will!

Mike
Old 08-27-2012, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeVikes View Post

However, not all of us are as skilled as Merzo, and designing on the computer is the only practical way for some of use to get the results we desire. Fortunately, the technology make the hobby more accessable to a lot more people, so I for one am happy and thankful for it, and I draw inspiration from master craftsmen like Merzo who can make paper, card, and any other material they choose to work with bend to their will!
Mike
I second that! Viva El Computador, but I also like some good old messing around with paper 'n' glue to try something out. But when it comes to curves and cones I prefer the calculating accuracy of my good old 2007 Macbook pro.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.90 MB

Hi Everyone

My heart is happy in the words of praise and positive reviews

I thank you very much.

The craft of computer technology and the .. Unfortunately, I do not agree with the modeling programs to benefit animals, so there is no choice. Model building is a major motivation for all that the only way to see it fully implements the vehicle is in the background. Find lots of photos, and deposited me what to do.
I am very glad that you like others.

Regards to everyone Mertusz Zoltan alias Merzo

Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeVikes View Post

Mike
Well, how do you think you become as "skilled as Merzo", by constantly relying on the 'crutch' of the computer? Granted, these computer programs have their uses, specifically generating flat-sided pieces with little texture (as Merzo aptly did for the legs on his model), but to lazily use it for every piece of a project, you just wind up with a poor looking model.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Quote:
Well, how do you think you become as "skilled as Merzo", by constantly relying on the 'crutch' of the computer? Granted, these computer programs have their uses, specifically generating flat-sided pieces with little texture (as Merzo aptly did for the legs on his model), but to lazily use it for every piece of a project, you just wind up with a poor looking model.
If I were you I'd stop filling this very worthwhile thread with your ignorant opinions. If you think a computer is a crutch you are dead wrong, it takes many hundreds of hours, thousands even, to learn how to produce a quality model using CAD and other programs. Just the way it takes hundreds or thousands of hours to learn to do it the way Merzo does. They are two different means to the same end and both require a great deal of skill and time to master. You do know that 99% of all commercial paper models these days are designed on a computer? Take a look around, read some of the great design threads here on the forum and then decide if we're all being lazy.

That is all.

[email protected]
Google Adsense
Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Quote:
Wow, John, you just insulted me, the models I design and build, (as I make full use of the computer in my designs), and any others who use techniques similar to mine. We're a community of friends here...

Could I build the same way Merzo does? Actually, yes I probably could. I've been building models of one type or another for 40 or so years, and I have a Masters degree in Engineering, so I've developed more than a few skills. I take a self-depricating tone with Merzo and all others out of respect for their efforts. I choose to use the computer as an outlet for my creativity simply as a tool, and one that works well for me. I make PowerPoint do things it was never created for. For me personally, I'm able to work smarter, not harder, using a computer. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary. Others use other programs that work well for them. Merzo uses tools that suit him, and I don't question his methods. He gets the job done beautifully, which is the bottom line. I'm certain, if he chose to, he could achieve the exact same results doing all his work on the computer. It's not so much the tool, it's what you do with it...

What I've found is the real effort in designing a model is the painstaking research involved. Digging up drawings, photos, references, then figuring out how to translate that into a model is where a significant portion of the effort lies. I'm certain you must know this. There's nothing lazy about this, and I'm pretty certain that we all use our computers for this part.

So, in short, while I respect your point of view and believe you're entitled to it, I disagree with you, and frankly resent your tone. I can do anything I need to do designing with a computer. I'm only limited by my imagination and the level of detail I choose to put into my models. I'm not limited by the tool itself.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
John, please show us your paper model designs, whether computer aided or not. How about some builds, too.
Or are you just a troll with zero courage to even try designing and texturing a model.
Please, enlighten us.

We won't hear anything worthwhile from this guy.

EDIT: I notice on his profile page it says "johnbergstromslc has not made any friends yet". Not likely to at this rate.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
This build is just coming along spectacularly! The detail is amazing.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Merzo, your skill astounds me and I wait patiently for another update. This is absolutely great work.

And to address the topic that has come up -- once and only once -- I'll say this. I'm not asking as a moderator (because I'm not one), but simply as a dedicated member who wants to see as little discord as possible while we all enjoy our shared hobby: can we restrict the conversation to Merzo's excellent build and leave the debate to other sections of the site, where they might be more productive/appropriate/warranted? That's probably the best thing to do to avoid hurt feelings, anger, and the possibility of offending anyone.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hear, hear, Joseph. Let's keep this a 5-star thread.