PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-24-2012, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Shameless plug...

Pardon the shameless plug...

If you have an iPad and you're into model rocketry please consider purchasing my book, "Seize the Sky: A Builder's Guide to Model Rocketry." The iPad version has been enhanced with full screen color photos and an onboard video. A new chapter introducing the tools that you might be using has also been added. Better still, at $9.99 it is half the cost of the printed edition.

While this book is not about paper modeling, it does have a fair amount of scale rocketry content. FWIW, there is a live link to this forum in the book.

iTunes - Books - Seize the Sky - Enhanced Edition by Mario Perdue

Mario
Old 07-24-2012, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 726.48 MB
For those of us who don't have an ipad, is there a printed version available?

Last edited by dkaniel; 07-24-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaniel View Post
at $9.99 it is half the cost of the printed edition
i'm assuming so with what was written.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaniel View Post
Yes, it's available on Amazon and at many other book sellers.

Amazon.com: Seize the Sky: A Builder's Guide to Model Rocketry (9781450507714): Mario Perdue: Books
Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 PM

Hey Mario, looks like a cool book, I didn't know you were into this stuff. I've been getting into it pretty heavy lately. The ajustable launch pad looks really sweet.

I will be building another little joe here soon to get some experiance in clusters, I need some educating in this for my current project (a thread on this page). I'll be launching a Merc capsule using the launch abort tower.

A pdf version would surly be great seeing as I have no i-pad.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:40 AM

I've been into model rocketry since about 1965. I took a break from it when I was in the USAF but they were letting me play with Minuteman III Missiles so I was getting my rocket fix even then.

The launch pad came about because I had a set of chipped billiard balls that I really didn't want to just throw away. Three of the pivots on a sawhorse make a really nice launch rack.

The Little Joe sounds like a great project. I'll have to look up the thread and follow its progress. A functional escape tower is a very challenging thing to do.

As far as a PDF goes, it would have to have significant rework for that format since none of the interactive features of the iBook would work.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:50 PM

I noticed on the cover of you'r book the Sat-1 B, which is using a cluster set up. I was wondering about the detail in you'r book as far as detailed pictures. I was looking at it last night on amazon and considering buying it.

I have a rocket building manual downloaded on pdf which has alot of info, fins shapes, body tubes, cone types, CG vs.CP, balancing but it's pertty basic stuff, I haven't seen any thing on cluster set ups, burn strings, staging, the more advanced stuff. Actually seeing photos of application goes along way.

Wow..launching rockets in 1965...I was a whole year old.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:39 PM

I don't really cover the specifics of staging or clustering beyond sample builds. What you want to get ahold of is the NAR Member Guidebook. I edit that publication and wrote the section on clustering. Tim Van Milligan wrote a nice section on staging for the same publication. I don't know if they sell the guidebook separately or if you have to join to get it. National Association of Rocketry
Old 07-25-2012, 05:40 PM

I just remembered another good resource. The technical manual from the 1970 Estes catalog has some great information. You can find scams of the pages at Ninfinger Productions: 1970 Estes Catalog
Old 07-26-2012, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Wow, I remember that catalog. I looked thru it all the time as a kid. I may actually still have it around somewhere.
Google Adsense