PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-17-2012, 09:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.88 MB
Thats 1/96 Scale?

Very impressive work.

John
Old 08-17-2012, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Thanks! and yes, it is, as the title of this thread already says, 1/96. Apart from the last picture I posted, that's the 1:1 real thing. (-;
The model is meant to be 1/96 and it actually is very easy to make. If it wasn't for the heat outside I'd be somewhere further down the line.

The building goes slow because there now is a kind of heat wave here in the Netherlands, and those events always cause a quite humid and stiffling atmosphere - and yesterday we had a relatively small 3.9 Richterscale earthquake here in Grunn! The first one I ever experienced. Apart from some small cracks in walls in some houses here and there, nothing serious really happened. But wahey! What an exotic city I live in!

Oh, and on an other note, in a while I will present you with a short filmed portrait of a very skilled and talented architectural model builder. It's been finished for a while now, but the music is copyrighted and we have to replace it with some fitting tune of our own. And some subtitles for non-Dutchies would be nice too. But that is what's coming soon.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.90 MB

Hey PK

Nice work, this "bird"
The interesting special gear, you may want to read after him!
Like it.
The design and implementation excellent.

Merzo
ps:I was looking for photos of the exhaust pipe and it is closed. Why?

Delta IV Heavy 1/96-kep-1.jpg Delta IV Heavy 1/96-kep-2.jpg
Delta IV Heavy 1/96-kep-3.jpg

Only the interest ......

Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 406.41 MB
Let me take a shot at those very good questions...

"- What's A17 for? it is not mentioned in the assembly instructions."

Good catch, I missed that. A17 should be rolled into a tube. The wavy end should form a slanted end, and it mounts to the blue circles on the base of the boosters. Those are (I think) the separation rockets for the boosters. they are canted inward towards the core.

" How are A 15 and 16 formed exactly? Do I need to fold over the straight
white part and glue it to the blue area? Glue the two pointed parts
together? Fold the triangular part on the bottom into a more or less
cone-like shape?"

The triangle at the bottom folds back 90 degrees to the blue rectangle.The triangular parts on the side also fold back 90 degrees. when folded, the two sides should be paralell. The straight white part folds back also, but at the same angle as the triangles on the side. The straight white part should glue flush to the top of the angled part of the two side pieces. The side parts at the bottom (non-pointed end) should butt up against the triangle, and glue to it.

"- Where is part D5? And would it have been useful? (-;"

D5 is the nosecone for the 4 meter payload faring. Very useful if you're building a Medium!

"- On the sheet with the delta's 2nd stage there are two parts called D2
that look very different to the parts called D2 on the instructions of the
core booster (the thin strips over the fairing). I guess they are D4 on the core booster instruction drawing."

That's correct. They are mislabeled on the part layout.

"I really like this one. It is a big rocket and it already looks cool even though it isn't finished yet."

Thanks! I had a lot of fun with this one. Glad you guys like it too!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
This is what I made from A15/A16. I added a 3 times laminated piece of card between the pointed parts and folded them toward each other at their roots. Over the top I glued a small strip of paper to close the seam. The aft end was curved and glued. I think this is close to what the real thing looks, at least the SFU at the Air Force Space Museum looks like this.
Yeah, that's pretty close. I think the ones you see on the one at the AFSM are used only for the Solid boosters. the ones for the liquid boosters are beefier. Only suggestion I have is the aft end should be flat to brace the sides.

Quote:
Oh yeah, before I forget, there still are two blue surfaces on the tapered end of the engine section. Is that where A17 should go?
No, A13 and 14 go there. A17 is in two places on the side of the two boosters at the bottom. Look for the blue circles on A2.

Also, I saw a couple of comments on reinforcement rings, I made and uploaded a sheet of them to the files section.
Google Adsense
Old 08-17-2012, 06:25 PM

Here's a picture of the actual part in place on the 1 to 1 scale vehicle:

Old 08-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Liking the design and the build (even if it's not sub-1000 scale ...). Nicelyl done!

Yogi (hurricanes, thunderstorms, even global warming flooding but no earthquakes around here when it's just sand and salt domes for several thousand feet down).
Old 08-18-2012, 05:02 AM

Thanks for all the directions, Mark. The part I meant was A5, which has two blue squares. What parts go there? A18 perhaps? (nowhere mentioned) - and the center booster doesn't need those, I presume.

Yogi, there's a 1/400 model coming up quite soon. (I guess it will be the first one I'll have to do with reading glasses..)
Old 08-20-2012, 02:59 AM

The assembly of the first side booster goes very well, pictures follow soon. It of course is easier, since all steps look very much like the center booster. It comes to be an awesome rocket! It really is an impressive kit. Somehow I really can grasp the size of these boosters. Rising 72 meters up in the air, man, this is a serious biggie. It must make an awesome noise when lifting off.

I discovered another numbering error, the engine shielding and the separation rockets are both numbered A18. Where do I put the sep rockets by the way? At the nose cone there are two rectangular areas marked, do they go there? (two on each side booster?) and where go the two others - or are they spares?

[EDIT]
It really is hard to obtain good close up photos of this very rocket. And the Delta IV on the pad also hides a lot of detail because of its big pedestal. But in the meantime I think I kind of have figured out where those separation rockets should go, at least, I think they do. They just seem to fit so well in these blue squares on the engine section, I put them there. That also would explain the three pairs. So perhaps they are not separation rockets but more like for roll and/or yaw. (presumed the RS-68 engine swivels too, which I think it does.)

I placed the two readied boosters next to each other, not glued yet, but my, what a sight. Great rocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Delta IV Heavy 1/96-p1030623.jpg   Delta IV Heavy 1/96-p1030624.jpg   Delta IV Heavy 1/96-p1030625.jpg   Delta IV Heavy 1/96-p1030626.jpg   Delta IV Heavy 1/96-p1030627.jpg  

Last edited by Paper Kosmonaut; 08-20-2012 at 03:57 AM. Reason: more letters, some pictures and so.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
The assembly of the first side booster goes very well, pictures follow soon. It of course is easier, since all steps look very much like the center booster. It comes to be an awesome rocket! It really is an impressive kit. Somehow I really can grasp the size of these boosters. Rising 72 meters up in the air, man, this is a serious biggie. It must make an awesome noise when lifting off.

I discovered another numbering error, the engine shielding and the separation rockets are both numbered A18. Where do I put the sep rockets by the way? At the nose cone there are two rectangular areas marked, do they go there? (two on each side booster?) and where go the two others - or are they spares?

[EDIT]
It really is hard to obtain good close up photos of this very rocket. And the Delta IV on the pad also hides a lot of detail because of its big pedestal. But in the meantime I think I kind of have figured out where those separation rockets should go, at least, I think they do. They just seem to fit so well in these blue squares on the engine section, I put them there. That also would explain the three pairs. So perhaps they are not separation rockets but more like for roll and/or yaw. (presumed the RS-68 engine swivels too, which I think it does.)

I placed the two readied boosters next to each other, not glued yet, but my, what a sight. Great rocket.
I got some pics of the Delta IV at CCAFS a couple weeks ago when I was there... I'd be happy to share them with you if you'd like... I could post them here or wherever...

Either post here if you want them or PM me... I may not be around much in the next few days, tho... gotta go back to Indiana for a wedding... long drive. But I'm following your build closely!

later! OL JR