PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-19-2012, 05:12 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Curiosity Mars Rover - Educational Variant?

So, still struggling along to write directions for the 1:12 scale model of Curiosity. Meanwhile, read some good discussion (David and Alphonso - see thread on Ariane V variants) on how important simple, pictorial instructions are for making a model "buildable." Ton's instructions are the gold standard - but I gave it a try anyway.

The model is reduced to 1:24 so the parts fit on two pages and the suspension parts are simplified (though the actual linkages are not). Also reduced the parts count.

Curiosity Mars Rover - Educational Variant?-c42-mast.jpg

Curiosity Mars Rover - Educational Variant?-c43.jpg

Curiosity Mars Rover - Educational Variant?-p8180089.jpg

The instructions may help in building/modifying the 1:12 scale version, and the parts are common so you could swap detail parts between them (with the appropriate scale adjustment).

Intent is to put out a model you could hand to someone and just let them get on with making their own Curiosity Rover.

Posted in the Real Space downloads.

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 08-19-2012, 05:24 AM
Eternal Member

Model posted - looking for critiques, evaluation, correction, build reports, or chastisement as appropriate.

Yogi
Old 08-19-2012, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
I can't say anything to this version...but I have build the 1:12 model with any tuning- the wheels has profile and wholes, the cam is a little bit detailed more, the cabletrees on the axles....
Attached Thumbnails
Curiosity Mars Rover - Educational Variant?-sam_0595.jpg   Curiosity Mars Rover - Educational Variant?-sam_0594.jpg  

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 08-19-2012, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.84 MB
looks like a fantastic model. well done and thanks for sharing.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
Thanks for sharing very nice build. I checked out Ton Noteboom's version and he has all three sections. But the rover is 1/12 and everything else 1/24. I wonder why? I want to build it as a grouping with displaying the module then the sky crane and the rover hanging from the bottom. So I will have to reduce the rover to 1/24 o increase the others to 1/12. His rover is 14 pages just for the parts. Has anyone built this one?
Google Adsense
Old 08-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Eternal Member

Whoa, that's a beautiful build Michael! I'm always amazed at how astounding the talent here is.

Tim, haven't seen one from Ton. Paper-Replika has a rover and my previous set (cruise stage, aeroshell, skycrane, rover) is in our downloads and at Lower Hudson Valley. The Aeroshell was done at 1:48 to fit the largest parts on one page. Skycrane at 1:24 for the same reason (would have needed many more pages and parts at 1:12 - also not sure the sources I had at the time gave enough detail for a 1:12 version to look very good). Rover was done at 1:12 specifically to match the Viking and Pathfinder Mars probes, and to be close to Erik/Ton's MER Rovers' scale (1:15).
I built out the Rover (reduced), Skycrane, and Aeroshell (expanded with a poster print, then spliced parts back together) at 1:24 for this:
Curiosity Mars Rover - Educational Variant?-mslmount04.jpg

The 1:12 scale rover has been built several times - see the Curiosity build thread for more details. As for smaller, check out Paper_Kosmonaut's MSL Diorama thread.

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 08-19-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Eternal Member

A note on this specific design. The intent is to provide a recognizable rover with the RTG pod, sponsons on the chassis, sampling arm, and mast cameras. In addition, the suspension is functional (or glue solid if you like). The goal is something that goes together over a weekend or couple of evenings without requiring advanced skills, tools, or fixtures.

The real chore was doing the instruction set - good analytical exercise of the building steps and photo planning (though I need to work on camera settings).
Yogi
Old 08-19-2012, 10:35 PM

My apologies Retired FN. I went to the J leslie site and download it assuming it was Ton's. Now I see I was mistaken. Next time I will look closer. Actually that is a compliment as Ton does some excellent work.

I am going to build te set in 1/24 since I want all three stages to fit together like your picture. Also I was eating a Moonpie and found itwrapped in very thin foil coated plastic wrap. Very shiny. I intend to use that to simulate the reflective mylar used on the crane. I was very pleased to come across it. Funny how we find things in te unlikeliest places. I think you did an excellent job on this model and look forward to building it. Just have to put finishing touches on my Sopwith tri. Then I will get on it.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:39 PM

REtired, have tou though of offering this on the NASA website? Ton has his Hubble there and I am sure they would welcome yours with open arms. They are really promoting this program to the public and welcome any help they can get. I submitted pictures of my Hubble build and they sent me a whole packet of Hubble pictures of the universe that would blow your mind.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
@ Yogi:

Thank you for the compliment! In the moment I'm building the Skycrane, which I have scaled to 1:12 (because I don't want to build the rover again in 1:24). So I can make a little more detailed model based on your download.
(Look the pic - that's the current state)

In future also the aeroshell will do, but the scaling from 1:48 to 1:12 is not so easy....but I' m optimistic....
Attached Thumbnails
Curiosity Mars Rover - Educational Variant?-sam_0688.jpg   Curiosity Mars Rover - Educational Variant?-sam_0691.jpg  

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Google Adsense