PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Wow that is great looking Mike!......Rich
Old 01-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
wow!!! great improvements on the lander. as pointed out, the "dust" would not of billowed, but rather shot out sideways forming a perfect arc (think freshmen college physics with shooting the cannon ball) Alas there was no camera to catch this event. If you do look at the rover footage from the later missions you can see how the moon dust flies off the front wheels of the rover in a very uncharacteristic way: again not billowing at all because there is no air to carry the dust.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Thanks for all the input, guys. There is much to consider.

I will absolutely keep the dust low to the ground. Jon, your physics description is apt.

I know that there wasn't much in the way of visible flame in the Apollo 17 liftoff videos, however, this might be an area where I take a little artistic license. I don't intend a 100 foot flame, but I'll probably put something there so the LM doesn't look like it's hovering due to an "anti-gravity" unit.

Between a wrestling meet Friday night, a tournament yesterday, and having to take No. 2 son back to college today, there won't be much in the way of updates until tomorrow, most likely. However, I did manage to complete the porch. Inspired by PK and Merzo, and their use of wire, I decided to use cut-down staples as the hand rails on the porch, instead if the bent-up wings that come with the kit. Also, the footpads are now in place.

Next up -- figuring out how to do the RCS exhaust deflectors.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Four forward... Four forward... Picking Up Some Dust...-photo0363.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
The Eagle Landing Diorama

Mike,

What a wonderful idea! That will make a very fine diorama. Make sure you get thrust lines from the descent stage on the surface going out from the centre in all directions. Also, the Lunar surface color is towards pale grey, rather than yellow-brown.

How about doing the "Contact light!" situation, so that you can have three thin wires to stick the model on, just above the surface? Just a thought...

Very fine progress and good luck!
Bengt in Stockholm
Old 01-06-2013, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
Apollo 17 Lunar Rover - YouTube

Apollo 17 Lunar Rover

some shots of how dust moves on the moon. very interesting
Google Adsense
Old 01-06-2013, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear WeeVieks:
I wonder about finding a used (free) 10 gal Aquarium to do the model in with a plexaglass top light source and suspend the lander from the top with clear fish line?
Just a thought,
MILES
around here most trash days I see aquariums out to the curb for pickup
Old 01-06-2013, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Not sure it is applicable in this case and as an idea it is very similar to SFX's but very thin plastic sheet (from packaging) painted with acrylics can make effective "smoke.

Four forward... Four forward... Picking Up Some Dust...-smole.jpg

D

Last edited by D-H; 01-06-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: miss spelled!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Hey guys, time for a quick update.

As it turns out, I discovered there was a minor mistake on the Descent Stage -- the repaint had the quadrants 90 deg out of phase. Sigh... Lesson learned -- even though our fellow designers are outstanding at what they do, do your own thorough research before building, just in case. Well, at least it was a simple correction. I printed the part again on printer paper, cut out the side panels and laminated them in place. Worked out just fine!

The next task was to build the thruster quad shields mounted on the Descent Stage. For this, I printed the mounting brackets from U-Don's kit at 50% size, and made a jig by gluing the part to cardboard and putting straighpins thru the corners. (I took a picture of this, but for some reason it's not being read by my computer...) I then straightened a paperclip, and bent it to shape, imitating the original part. I then glued U-Don's "shields", reduced in size 50%, of course, to the paperclips, then affixed the assemblies to the Descent Stage.

I decided the oversized oxidizer tank on the Ascent stage bothered me, so I pulled a Ken West, removed the offending tank, reprinted it at 66% of it's original size, and attached the new part. (Ken -- you gave me the guts to try this!) Again, it's not 100% accurate, but it looks a world better to my eyes.

Next came the Lunar Surface Sensing Probes. For these, I trimmed some staples, bent them to shape, and super glued them to the aft, starboard, and port landing pads. The assembly of the LM is almost complete! I think all I have left is to glue the two stages together.

Next... work on the base -- i.e., build my little slice of the Sea of Tranquility!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Four forward... Four forward... Picking Up Some Dust...-photo0369.jpg   Four forward... Four forward... Picking Up Some Dust...-photo0370.jpg   Four forward... Four forward... Picking Up Some Dust...-photo0372.jpg   Four forward... Four forward... Picking Up Some Dust...-photo0371.jpg   Four forward... Four forward... Picking Up Some Dust...-photo0373.jpg  

Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Intricate process is looking good - very nice step-by-step on the creation too!

Yogi
Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Looking a whole lot better than the Canon kid's diorama I did a few months back, but I just wanted to do something quick. And I shrank it down a lot to make it look less cartoony.

Very nice walk through on your build.
Google Adsense