PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
The Mole:
Scale is not mentioned in the model, but according to Wikipedia this Vostok rocket was almost 50 meters. The Model of the rocket is about 50 cms, so near enough 1/100th scale.
By the way: Soyuz was the name of the programme, Vostok was the name of the rocket - so comparable with the American Apollo program, in which they used the Saturn V rocket.
Your second question, about the missing part of the main rocket, was answered in my last item: it was obviously omitted to make room for the scissor-like mechanism that was supposed to open and shut the arms/masts/towers.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 AM

The first tower (C) is now complete and in position. Two towers D (visible in the background) will follow shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
Soyuz 28,   Albatros 1985-soyuz-c-4.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 03:34 AM

Service gantries D did not present any problems. I enlarged and printed the sketches in the original instructions to make them a bit easier to decipher, and studied the pictures sent to me before by Reinhard Sauer.

D - Service Gantries.
Towers D appear to be identical, but they are not - many parts are marked L (left) or P (right). So better keep them apart! First build platform and elevator entrance D1/5 and set aside. Optional: parts 6 are part of the moving mechanism.
Build masts D7/7a, check fit in elevator entrance, but do not glue to base D.
Glue ladders D9 on the reverse of D8. Fold and glue D8 carefully in position on mast D7/7a. Glue D10 in slits in D8. Add D11/12 to top of mast. Finally fold and glue D13 in place.
When both masts are complete, you can start on the platforms. The original sketches show how to strengthen the floor of a platform - I used the same thickness as the rest of the model, heavier card doesn't seem necessary. Platforms D14/15 appear to be identical, but mark them with pencil anyway!
Take care over platforms D15. Level IV takes railings 15. For level III one of the 'legs' of the platform is shortened; it takes railings 15a. Glue platforms to masts.
The curved support construction (parts 23-31, left in de picture) is fairly straightforward - sketches 3D, 4D and 5D are clear enough. 32/33are optional - they operate the moving cosmonauts.
Attached Thumbnails
Soyuz 28,   Albatros 1985-soyuz-d-1.jpg   Soyuz 28,   Albatros 1985-soyuz-d-2.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 03:41 AM

Final stage (excuse the pun) of the build:

E - Carrier gantries (for want of a better word - any suggestions?)
While building this model, it took me awhile to realise that the Russian rocket does not stand on its tail (like the American counterparts), but is suspended from the four carrier gantries by hooks. I enlarged sketch E, which made it a lot clearer than it appeared. Now just follow the numbers.

F - Completing the model.
If you haven't yet done so, this is the moment to put everything together. First, position the rocket on the platform. It should fit neatly over the cube in the central pit. Then glue the main tower in place, followed by the two service gantries and the four carrier gantries. Check every hinge for correct movement while glue is still wet, then allow to dry and harden before moving the hinges again.

last picture: remember, this tiny bit is what is was all about...

More pictures of the completed model in the next instalment, and also in my Collection on Flickr.com/photos/Zeist_bouwplaten
Attached Thumbnails
Soyuz 28,   Albatros 1985-soyuz-e-2.jpg   Soyuz 28,   Albatros 1985-soyuz-e-1.jpg   Soyuz 28,   Albatros 1985-soyuz-f-1.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 03:52 AM

Soyuz launch configuration finished.

Finished. It wasn't easy, mainly because of lacking instructions, but with a little help via the forum... Also, as always, while working on a project I get more and more interested in the subject. Google images, Wikipedia, Youtube are a great help to get some information fast. I am now working on the R7 transporter by Danish designer Lars Follman. Not a very demanding model, but interesting in combination with the Baikonur launching site.
A few years ago I had just five copies printed (professionally, not laserprints or photocopies) of the Soyuz. I still have one or two - contact me via my website if you are interested: www.zeistbouwplaten.nl
Attached Thumbnails
Soyuz 28,   Albatros 1985-soyuz-f-2.jpg   Soyuz 28,   Albatros 1985-soyuz-f-4.jpg   Soyuz 28,   Albatros 1985-soyuz-real.jpg   Soyuz 28,   Albatros 1985-r7_transporter_1.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-17-2013, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Отлично!

Les (The Voice of Authority)
Old 02-17-2013, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
amazing work!

In the moment I also build this model, but scaled to 1:48 and modified for Leo's Soyuz FG...
I hope, it will fit....
So I cut out all the white areas....and print all sheets two times, because the insides are not colored, and glue together...
in the czech forum is a good thread for this model...

Papírové modelá?ství CZ • Zobrazit téma - SOJUZ 28 / L.BADALEC / Albatros

Can you say, where I can get the model of the R7 transporter by Danish designer Lars Follman?
Attached Thumbnails
Soyuz 28,   Albatros 1985-sam_1427.jpg   Soyuz 28,   Albatros 1985-sam_1440.jpg   Soyuz 28,   Albatros 1985-sam_1445.jpg  

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 02-17-2013, 05:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Lars Follmann's model is found at Ninfinger's site. But Hey, that's a great build you have there, Michael! I absolutely love what you are doing there. I also see it is going to be big!

Last edited by Paper Kosmonaut; 02-17-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: i forgot the link, so I added it. That's a nice thing to do, innit?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
Thank you for the link!

my current projekt:
Iss - the third