PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-02-2009, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
There is a drawing on one of the NASA websites of the Ares I-X which shows the logos on one side. I have it around somewhere, I'll see if I can post it.

I did add detail to the top of the second stage on the production version, as well as a bit to the SRB. I am staying true to the new drawings from 10/08 which are very different from earlier versions. Ton's model, though nice is inaccurate in regard to the second stage.

[email protected]
Old 02-03-2009, 12:02 AM

I completely redrew the second stage and added detail from the reference photos on the web site you steered me to. Most of the datails are on the bottom of the second stage and interstage. I don't know the age of these drawings, however. I'd like to see your latest version

Currently working on: ISS
Old 02-04-2009, 09:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
This is the drawing I based my model off of. If you look, it shows the logo only on one side. I did add a lot of the detail seen on here to the updated production model. I'll send you the revised files this afternoon.

http://www.safesimplesoon.com/assets...%202-HiRes.jpg

[email protected]
Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 PM

It took me a while to recognize the one-sided logos and lettering even after you pointed it out. Still, I'm going to take some artistic license with my build and do this with the emblems on both sides. We won't actually know that I'm wrong until they actually produce one and unveil it to the public. Meanwhile, I've primarily been using the drawing in the middle of the bottom row on that same site for details. The first photo shows the first stage back to the correct size, with my first attempt included for reference. You can see the "arrow-shaped" structures on the engine nozzle fairing, which are a combination of Ton's and Avery's renditions. The second photo shows my attempt at texturing the top of the first stage with an overwrap of the louver-like detail. I still need to add the various stripes around the SRB and the instrumentation duct up the side. Then, I go to the fairing at the top of the SRB and the interstage with alltheir respective details.
Attached Thumbnails
Beta builder for Ares I rocket-100_1547.jpg   Beta builder for Ares I rocket-100_1549.jpg  

Old 02-05-2009, 07:06 AM

True, we won't know anything definitively until they build the darn thing, I'm just slightly OCD when it comes to research and I need definitive images before I do anything. :D

[email protected]
Google Adsense
Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 AM

I wasn't suggesting you change your kit regarding emblem placement (now that you've shown me the one drawing that has the emblems on one side only). The references are pretty poor at best. There are too many versions showing different details between them. Assuming you want to get your rocket model built now, you have to pick one and stay with it. Otherwise you end up going nuts. It only ought to take a day or two to build the basic kit, but you can easily spend a week adding details. If you tried to do every possible configuration I've seen drawings of, you could easily spend half a year on them, without any of them being the correct version. The rocket manufacturers are a little perverse about releasing disinformation. I don't know whether it's an effort to throw off their competition or, whether they really don't know what it will look like until they have one built for real.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 PM

Agreed. I'm just trying to stick to one drawing but I did add some detail from some other photos to add "interest" and who knows, until we get a real rocket we can only guess.

I'll try to get the files to you tomorrow, sorry I keep forgetting.

[email protected]
Old 02-08-2009, 01:05 PM

Here's my progress on puttinh some details on the Ares I: I have the second stage complete minus a few fiddly little bits above the NASA Logo. I used Ton's engine and tank covers and his J-2 engine nozzle. I made a bunch of steering thruster details along with other bits shown on the reference drawing I used. The second stage is separable from the top of the interstage. The extra cylinder in one of the photos is internal structure for the shroud between the second stage and the Orion CSM. Orion will also be separable from the rocket. Now I just need to design the shroud and put it all together.
Attached Thumbnails
Beta builder for Ares I rocket-100_1553.jpg   Beta builder for Ares I rocket-100_1554.jpg   Beta builder for Ares I rocket-100_1555.jpg   Beta builder for Ares I rocket-100_1557.jpg  

Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 PM

The whole enchilada

OK, so it looks more like a tamale.:D I could tweak the upper shroud some more (it's a little tight fitting the Orion CSM). Also, it's about 1/16th inch too short. I had to pop-in the tank cover in the second stage to get Orion seated in the shroud. BTW, I made this shroud specifically to come close to fitting with Ton's latest Orion CSM.
Back from my days in USAF comm maintenance, the saying was, "If you can't fit it, force it!" That was one of the sayings, anyway. The rest should not be shown where small eyes can read 'em.
Anyway, the model will break down to the following parts:
  • SRB - first stage/shroud/interstage
  • Second stage/shroud
  • Orion Service Module
  • Orion Command Module
  • Launch Escape System
I'd show more pictures of the rocket in pieces, but the fit at the top is tight enough to make me not want to take it apart. Besides, you can see the individual pieces in my previous posts.

Avery, if you want them, I'll send you a set of JPEG files of my detail parts. Aside from the slight fit problem of the upper shroud everything else seemed to go about right.
I used the following parts from Ton's kit (scaled down to 67%):
  • SRB engine nozzle
  • SRB engine shroud
  • small arrow-shaped parts on the engine shroud (combined with Avery's parts at the same location)
  • 1st - 2nd stage shroud (reverse side out - Avery's shroud would have worked here too, but I already had Ton's printed)
  • 2nd stage engine nozzle, engine cover, & tank cover
  • Orion Command & Service Module
  • Launch Escape System
I traced over Avery's SRB main cylinder to get the "UNITED STATES" lettering on both sides. We already had that discussion. I replaced the upper part of his SRB (from the black line just above the lettering to the top) in order to fit the texturing detail. I redrew the second stage main cylinder. I also drew all the fiddly bit details other than the arrow shaped structures on the engine shroud already mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Beta builder for Ares I rocket-100_1558.jpg