PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-29-2013, 07:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 319.31 MB
Chassis Assembly

Greetings, I finally finished cutting out all the pieces required to begin assembly of the chassis. In photo 6 you can see all the pieces required to complete the first section of the model. In photo 7 you can see how the assembly of this section proceeds. You have to slide the top and bottom of the chassis inside the rectangular beam sections then insert the protrusions that will hold the support pipes through the deck. This is no easy task! These little pieces all bend as you try to put them through the slots. I found ( a little late) that if you treat these with crazy glue first they become more ridged and go through much easier. Photos 8 and 9 show the assembly as it progresses. The instructions say to not glue these pieces together yet but to secure them with thread so that is why the structure is a little lose. More later.
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-chassis-6.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-chassis-7.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-chassis-8.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-chassis-9.jpg  
Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very interesting build.

Thanks for all the pics - worth the effort. For me anyway!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.98 GB
Sorry to backtrack abit. Could you expand on you use punches to make your curves better? I think I understand the concept, but not sure how to do. Nice built so far. One of the models I plan to get in future.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.42 MB
Gene 1772's crawler build

Gene 1772, I will be watching your buil quite closely, I just purchased Mischa's crawler model myself. I will be very interested to see where the areas are that give you a hard time to build. Good luck to both of us!!!

crawler 14/499
Old 03-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Be sure that... when you have finished this model, you WILL be a fully fledged paper technician - by order of PM DOT COM This is looking good already even.
Google Adsense
Old 03-30-2013, 06:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 319.31 MB
Cutting Curves

Greetings, in way of a response to IBQuestor, I use the hole punch to make as many curves as possible. I found that my curves cut free hand were not always as neat as I would like and that cutting them broke more tips on the xacto knife blades. It is a little detail but I liked the way they came out. I don't have a great close up camera but I tried to show one of the curves in the close up below. Hope it is clear. Richo, welcome to the club! I will try to post any tips I come across in the thread but hopefully, when you start we can learn from each other.
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo Era Crawler-close-up.jpg  
Old 03-30-2013, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
Wow what a project. My ADD would never allow me to finish this thing. Good luck and power to you.

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)
Old 03-31-2013, 03:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 209.22 MB
Hello friends,

my registration number is 499/499. So I hope I'm allowed to ask you something: I can't regocnize colored edges on the pics.

a) Do want colored edges?

b) if yes, are the parts colored after assembly or before?

c) if after, is this not very riscant? Because of the complex structures? Maybe they are damaged while coloring or although the edges are visible you can't reach them with the brush any longer?

I cross my fingers, that you succeed in building this marvelous kit!!

Greetings
peaceglue
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.98 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene1772 View Post
Greetings, in way of a response to IBQuestor, I use the hole punch to make as many curves as possible. I found that my curves cut free hand were not always as neat as I would like and that cutting them broke more tips on the xacto knife blades. It is a little detail but I liked the way they came out. I don't have a great close up camera but I tried to show one of the curves in the close up below. Hope it is clear. Richo, welcome to the club! I will try to post any tips I come across in the thread but hopefully, when you start we can learn from each other.
Thank you for the picture and reply. . I beleive I have the idea now.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.42 MB
Gene 1772, thanks for the hole punch idea. I was going to try to cut these by hand, but looking at your photos I decided to get a punch set for these. I'm sure that there are enough of these "holes" to make the purchase worthwile. I have not recieved my kit yet and I'm going CRAZY!! I haven't even started and you've been a help. Thanks
Google Adsense