PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-26-2013, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.42 MB
GENE,

Now we get to start building all the tiny stuff. Wiring, walkways and a zillion treads. Hang in there dude! Good Job.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 319.31 MB
Greetings all, I am about half way through my self-imposed two year time frame to complete my crawler and it has been a while since my last post so I thought I would catch you up. I have just completed the Chassis Wiring section of the crawler and I have attached some photos of what that entailed. First, let me say that the wiring section of the crawler is by far and away the most difficult part that I have worked on to this point. Many of the parts are extremely small and many of the cables are extremely thin. This makes the cutting as well as the assembling a significant challenge. I can only say that if you are building this model, for this section, you will need a comfortable magnifying type of head wear, at least 2 pair of very fine point jeweler’s tweezers, and a stack of really sharp blade. I started out with the cable tray that runs around the crawler. Thanks to my young daughter and a glass of iced tea I had to attempt to reconstruct this part and although it is not quite as good as the original I think it came our alright. (crawler 93) This was followed by the cabling trays that run under each corner; these have several small pieces and a bend in the middle that makes them a bit of a challenge as well (crawler 94). Next came the hydraulic lines that run under the corners to the JEL tubes. These pieces were represented by a flat strip of black paper with lines.(crawler95) These lines could serve as cutting marks if you wanted to cut the paper to better represent the hydraulic lines. I tried many times to make these cuts to no avail; they were just to fine and the curves made it too difficult to cut well. In the end I decided to make this part out of a heavy black thread glued together and I think this was the better choice.(crawler 96) Next came the cabling that runs around the sides of the crawler to the four corners. The cables are very narrow with many turns and bends. (crawler 97) I would be lying if I said I did not have to make copies and try several times to get it right. I was having real trouble getting the proper placement of these since this is a 3d item and the instructions were in 2D. I needed more visual reference. I wrote to Cyana and asked if he could help with this and send some photos detailing the parts in question. He graciously sent me a 3D PDF of the chassis that he was working on. The 3 D view was fantastic and really gave me the ability to track the cables and get the alignment correct. (Crawler 98,99) Once the cables were properly run the next step was the hydraulic lines at the top of the JEL tubes. These were very time consuming to cut because they were very thin with a tight loop.(Crawler 100,101,102)) As I discovered two or three times each corner is different so make sure you keep them straight or you could wind up re doing them ( I did on 2 occasions). Once this section is finished the final parts are the devices at the top of the corners. Again, very very small pieces and very narrow lines but with patience it gets done. (Crawler 104,105) This completes the chassis wiring section. Glad that is done... I just wanted to add a word of thanks to Cyana for the 3D PDF, just for anyone contemplating purchasing this model the support he offers after the sale is outstanding. He has promptly answered all my questions and really tries to help you make it the best model you can build so again thank you Cyana. It made all the difference in the world...now on to the next section. Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo Era Crawler-crawler93.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler94.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler95.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler96.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler97.jpg  

Apollo Era Crawler-crawler98.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler99.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler100.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler101.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler102.jpg  

Apollo Era Crawler-crawler103.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler104.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler105.jpg  
Old 04-14-2014, 10:01 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
This is truly a labor of love. Excellent work.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello Gene,

nice that you're back and show your progress.

Every now and then you need a break to recharge your batteries, which I feel the same way. But for this very ambitious model, you also need full concentration and greatest patience. What are you doing is admirable, it all looks great, all the many very small parts to be processed so clean, greatest respect.

Carry on as before and hold on, it's a joy to track your project and your enormous effort will be rewarded in the end.

I stay tuned and press both thumbs.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 04-19-2014, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
Beautiful work so far. I visited their website and read up on the history. I remember what a daunting task this seemed when they first started it. I thought if the kit ever was released it would be so expensive only the rich could afford it. Not so! I believe the price is modest when one compares the effort of love that went into it. In fact I would go so far as to say it is generous. I wish I could build one myself but My disability would not allow me to achieve the detail required. So I will sit (figuratively because I can't sit) in the cheering section. Rah! Rah! Rah!

"Oh wisdom thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason" (Bill Shakespear)
Google Adsense
Old 04-22-2014, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 309.19 MB
Crawler...

Hi Gene,
Just checking in. Keep on continuing with the amazing work! Really looking good! I know that it must be hard maintaining the interest in any given project of this magnitude. A labor of Love! Looks Great!!!

Bill
Where did Gunter Wendt ?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 319.31 MB
Greetings all, It has been a while, I just finished the walkways so I wanted to give those who are following this thread an update. I thought when I finished the wiring things would get easier but I have decided that no section of this model is easy. The walkways that surround the crawler have numerous twists and turns and multiple ladders so this took a while to finish this portion of the build. This process I used to complete the build has been one of trial and error but I believe by the end I finally figured out a good construction method now and I am moving ahead a little faster than I was going at the beginning. The steps are the same for all the pieces, first cut out the bottom frame, (crawler 108) I recommend that you first cut each inside corner of the floor support with the tip of the x-acto knife (see red arrows if you can) and then move to the long pieces. The cross pieces are so thin that if you cut with the blade on an angle, like most of us do, you will cut through the cross support. Next glue the transparent grid work to the top of the floor support (crawler 109). Next you have to flip the piece over and glue the bottom supports to the floor grid. (Crawler 110). Now glue the supports that will hold the walkway to the crawler body (Crawler 111). Once the supports are dry go ahead and glue the walkway assembly to the walkway supports. The next step is the railing. The railings are made up of 3 sections, first, the bottom railing second, the vertical supports and third, the horizontal railings. The railings are made difficult by having to bend them around several corners. The bottom railing has markings where you have to crease them so they can follow the bends, the yellow railings do not have these markings. I highly recommend that you place the bottom railing next to yellow railings and transfer the crease marks to the yellow railing before you cut them out. This way the score lines will match the bottom railing and they all bend in the same place. (crawler112) Once you cut the strips attach them to the vertical supports. It is very important that you make the railings as straight as possible. Once they are attached any error is really noticeable. Finally, there are the ladders (actually 9 of them). I have still not figured out the best way to make the treads straight. But I gave it my best shot and I think they came out pretty well but they were a struggle. The finally shots are of the railings that have been completed ( Crawler 115 – Crawler 120). I have 2 ramps, two hose reels and some spot lights to complete then I can move on the final stage, the dreaded trucks. Ok, that is it for now, thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-108.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-109.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-110.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-111.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-112.jpg  

Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-113.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-114.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-115.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-116.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-117.jpg  

Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-118.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-119.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-crawler-120.jpg  
Old 07-14-2014, 05:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Just incredable work.Almost like making the real deal.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:58 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Great detail work Gene! This project has so many (literal) twists and turns it almost boggles the mind. Keep on trucking! (no pun intended, of course )
Old 07-15-2014, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Good work on the walkways Gene.

Google Adsense