PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-18-2013, 08:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 319.31 MB
Apollo Era Crawler

Greetings all, I am a long time reader, and occasional poster but I have never done a build thread before so I thought this model would be a good one for my first. I am going to try to build the Apollo era crawler being sold by MicorArtwork. I have followed the development of this project for years and have been very impressed with level of detail and the research that went into it. The MicroArtsWork web site says this will be one of three pieces of the moon landing trilogy, the crawler, the launch umbilical tower and the Apollo Saturn Five. I thought, since it took MicroArtWork 10 years to make the crawler, it would take them 20 years for the LUT but they are making fantastic progress on it and they estimate that it should be available in about 2 years. That works well because after looking at this model I think it will take me about 2 years to complete so it should be done about the same time. I just received my copy of the kit last week and have attached some shots of what you get in the package. The quality of the printing is outstanding and the numbers of pieces are staggering, 11,289 but I look forward to the challenge. The instruction manual that accompanies the model is highly detailed and appears complete but one nice touch is that when you ordered the model you will receive a PDF of the instructions. This PDF can be zoomed so you can really zoom in on the smaller details. There are several different types of materials for the different parts, like black tissue paper to simulate the flexible boots that surround the hydraulic pistons, yellow pieces for parts of the railings, and parts printed on transparencies to simulate grills for such things as fans and vents. The parts that will be visible from bot h sides are colored on both sides which cuts down on the marker work. Ok, that is enough of an introduction, I have just started the model and it is apparent there is a lot of cutting in my future. I will post pictures of my progress as I move along. Hopefully this thread will keep me on track and time. Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo Era Crawler-package-contents.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-assorted-materials.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-instruction-manual.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-parts-front.jpg   Apollo Era Crawler-parts-back.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Wow, what a project. I've seen the development of this also and it is a spectacular design.
This will be a fun build to follow and I'm sure we'll all learn some new techniques watching it.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:15 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
I'll be following this one with great interest ( I have it in my pile) the kit is outstanding, this is one of the "ultimate"models, Good luck
BTW, here's where it comes from;http://www.microartwork.com/index.htm
Old 03-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Gene. You have me interested!

This a model i have always wanted and I often go to the website and drool. But could I make one - do not really know!

I wish you luck and you also will have an avid follower here!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.98 GB
Subscrbed. I'm Highly interested in this buid.
Google Adsense
Old 03-18-2013, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
oh this is great i followed this occasionally during the design and have been waiting for a build on this. subscribed and waiting to see the effort of build... much good luck to this project.

E
Old 03-18-2013, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
I wish you good luck...but I don't believe it...nowhere has finished it so far....

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 03-18-2013, 05:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
holy moly, I can't wait!!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Good luck with this build. I'll also be following it closely as I also have one (#136) sitting in a corner for a future date. I agree, the printing and kit as a whole is beautiful and well worth it. Have already reserved the LUT when ready.

Regards,
Fred
Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

This is an amazing model for sure. I am thinking that this is way up there with some of THE very best models a man/woman can get hold of. Detailed to the max. Good luck, but more importantly....ENJOY - we will
Google Adsense