PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-03-2013, 07:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Apollo lunar rover

To all,

After taking a short break, I will be starting a new project. I have much of the Lunar Rover designed up in CAD already. (modeled it years ago)

Here is my vision:

SCALE: Not yet decided, but somewhere between 1/12 and 1/8th.

Full Featured and accurate as possible.

One astronaut sitting while the 2d astronaut is digging up lunar soil in the background. (Diorama)

MISSION: Apollo 17

This will obviously take some time to execute, so just like the Command Module, I can't predict the finish date; but the wait should be worth it.

I won't be starting this immediately, but it's never too soon to start discussing and collecting good reference material. If anyone has any good documentation and/or illustrations/pictures of the rear tool rack, please advise. This is one of the illusive pieces of data still lacking.

All in ?

Ken
Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
To all,

After taking a short break, I will be starting a new project. I have much of the Lunar Rover designed up in CAD already. (modeled it years ago)

Here is my vision:

SCALE: Not yet decided, but somewhere between 1/12 and 1/8th.

Full Featured and accurate as possible.

One astronaut sitting while the 2d astronaut is digging up lunar soil in the background. (Diorama)

MISSION: Apollo 17

This will obviously take some time to execute, so just like the Command Module, I can't predict the finish date; but the wait should be worth it.

I won't be starting this immediately, but it's never too soon to start discussing and collecting good reference material. If anyone has any good documentation and/or illustrations/pictures of the rear tool rack, please advise. This is one of the illusive pieces of data still lacking.

All in ?

Ken
I worked with the USGS in Flagstaff, Az during the Astronaut training from Apollo 15-17. Somewhere in my collection of documents I have a complete Pilot Familiarization Manual for one of the late rovers. If I can find it your welcome to use it. I'll look and let you know.

Swampfox
Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 PM

Anything Apollo....I'm in all the way! Good luck. Hope you have a smooth journey on the way to the final result....
Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Wow, that also is a nice one to look forward to. Will this one include the 'road map dust guard'? (-;
Old 06-04-2013, 07:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 97.13 MB
Dude...

Are you kiddig? All in? Seriously?

Of course! Can't wait!
Google Adsense
Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Will have to review the trail of where I found some of this ...

Apollo lunar rover-lemrack.jpg

Also the operations handbook at:
http://www.history.nasa.gov/alsj/lrvhand.html

and a brief history and a reference page from the NASA history office:
http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/MSFC-LRV.pdf
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...j/a17/a17.html

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 06-05-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 AM

To all,

I am starting to get some really good reference material already! Thank you!

I am currently focused on finishing up the Command Module "Instruction Manual" for Billy.

Meanwhile, I can't help thinking and dreaming about the LRV Project. I wish I could project the image that's in my head of the final project.

I also have this crazy idea: Gene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt were the last 2 people to walk on the Moon. They are the subjects of this diorama; an Apollo 17 geological excursion. As such, I hope to contact each of them, and sort of introduce myself, and talk about the Paper Apollo Astronauts that I designed, and eventually sent to Buzz Aldrin's office in California. I would also like to show them the CM project. I would like to invite them to papermodelers.com, and invite them to peek in or even participate if they like, or serve as passive consultants to critique the project. I have read about each of these amazing astronauts, and I have come to understand that the most special aspect to them is that they are in fact human beings. As engineers and scientists of the highest order, they will no doubt enjoy what we are doing here. I just want them to be aware of the fact that they are held in high regard in our forum.

Is it possible? or did have 1 cup of coffee too many?

Let's see what happens..

Ken
Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Ken, perhaps you should try and contact Amy Shira Teitel. She 'knows' a couple of the moonwalkers and is a space historian. She might perhaps have an entrance to get closer to Gene and Jack or know how to get to them.
Amy is an enthusiastic young woman with a big passion for space history - and she really knows her stuff!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
coolio! all I can suggest is keep your subjects close to the same scale in the different projects
Old 06-05-2013, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.20 MB
Ken, your enthusiam for Apollo knows no bounds, does it?

I will have to search through my hard-drives for the PDFs I have covering the LRV. I'll get back to you on those. I also have 3 very informative books on the subject, which provide some good background:

1. Virtual LM by Scott Sullivan
2. Lunar and Planetary Rovers by Anthony Young (2007)
3. Lunar Rover Manual 1971-1972 by Christopher Riley, David Woods & Philip Dolling (2012)

I realise that Virtual LM is out of print now and pretty much impossible to find for anything like a reasonable price. I was extremely lucky when I contacted the publishers a couple of years back and they managed to find one slightly damaged copy buried in their storehouse. The book's value lies in the several clear computer drawn 3D images of the LRV and it's sections.

With regard to the LRV Manual, I have previously had email contact with both Chris Riley and David Woods (both are acknowledged Apollo experts - see the links below ...). If anybody has good access to LRV material, then surely they must have? I'll write to them both, ask them to kindly look here (and at your Astronaut and CM models) and see if they can perhaps help with some authentic reference material (in the form of PDFs maybe?), or at least point you to where it can be found.

Quote:
I also have this crazy idea: Gene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt were the last 2 people to walk on the Moon. They are the subjects of this diorama .... As such, I hope to contact each of them, and sort of introduce myself .... talk about the Paper Apollo Astronauts. I would also like to show them the CM project. I would like to invite them to papermodelers.com, and invite them to peek in or even participate ... I just want them to be aware of the fact that they are held in high regard in our forum.""I also have this crazy idea: Gene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt were the last 2 people to walk on the Moon. They are the subjects of this diorama .... As such, I hope to contact each of them, and sort of introduce myself .... talk about the Paper Apollo Astronauts. I would also like to show them the CM project. I would like to invite them to papermodelers.com, and invite them to peek in or even participate ... I just want them to be aware of the fact that they are held in high regard in our forum.
Nice idea, Ken, but don't discount the other surviving Apollo crewmen who operated the LRV. For example, last year I attended a presentation here in the UK, given by Charlie Duke (Apollo 16), and he is a delightfully warm, and enthusiasticgentleman. I suspect that he is probably the most open and approachable of the surviving Apollo crewmen to operate the LRV. Not that I would discount Dave Scott, John Young, Gene Cernan or Jack Schmitt but you could try presenting your case (and of course showcasing your previous work!) to Charlie by contacting him through his website here. If he cannot help directly, I feel sure he will be interested in your project, and may be able to steer you towards folk who can help.

Be sure to also look at my absolute favourite Apollo website - the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal (ALSJ), where Dr Eric Jones has a prime collection of documentation and photos, including much for the LRV. I'll contact Dr Jones as well and ask him to have a look here.

Another contact you should try and make is Don McMillan, who has already constructed a great computer 3D model of the LRV, which is also available as a large poster (28" x 18.75"). The ALSJ also has some links for Don's LRV stuff.

Christopher Riley co-authored the Apollo 11 Manual 1969 (2010) with Phil Dolling but he has several other space-related credits to his name. Chris co-produced what is my favourite Apollo documentary, the magnificent In The Shadow Of The Moon (2008). Anyone who has an interest in Apollo must see this award-winning film!

David Woods, who works for BBC Radio in Scotland, runs the Apollo Flight Journal website, and is the also the author of the acclaimed book How Apollo Flew To The Moon.
Google Adsense