PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-18-2017, 05:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
I know how you feel, we all do. Seems like every model has at least a few repetitive parts that make...a builder...sooooo......zzzzzzzz

All those fine details make your model leap from simply "amazing" to "totally unbelievable"!
Old 10-19-2017, 12:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Thanks Becky for your sympathy and your nice compliments.

There only helps: Grit your teeth and get to it!

Keep smiling and look ahead!

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 10-19-2017, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Whenever possible I try to stick with "the worst, first" so I just get it over with. Of course, when doing the kind of fine detail work you're doing which requires so many custom fit pieces my little mantra just won't work.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:26 AM

Hi Becky,
yeah, a good start is half the battle!
Now I'll tell you my secret, just give it a try, and you will see, skill comes with practice.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
I couldnt agree more Manfred.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:05 AM

Hello everybody,

and thus to the last round with these tiresome gutters.

Here was only still missing the Gutter 2 on the Side 4, the beginning of which is shown here.

Source: apollosaturn.com (John Duncan)

The gutter begins directly on the girder between the Bay 10 and 11 and then runs without interruption to the end of the Bay 18, whereby the last part behind the downspout becomes again lower towards the outside.

Source: apollosaturn.com (John Duncan)

And these are the two parts of the gutter.

At first, the gutter bottom was glued with CA, again using Teflon foil as gluing protection.

And then it went on with the supports,

And then it went on with the supports, which were clamped for exact fixing again between Cutter Blades.

Then I have left the gutter alone,

and thereafter examined the seat of the supports, which was okay.

This was followed by the last dull gluing of the two gutter parts with Gator's Grip,

which again has worked great.

Hence all five gutters with a total of 34 supports have finally been scratched, above for the Side 2, and below for the Side 4,

and now I feel truly relieved.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-21-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:35 PM

Hello everybody,

after the wearisome Gutter chapter has been finished except for the paintwork, I want to take a relaxing look ahead and bring the highlight of the lighting of the MLP back into the game, which will soon be back on my agenda.

During my first inventory (2014) I had found these 21 lamps on the Side 1,

Source: retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

which I had to correct in hindsight, since the Lamp 5 during the STS-6 (1983) did still not exist, like one can see in this picture of the STS-28 (1989), but rather much later, whereby the number of lamps is reducing to 20.

Source: NASA

Since the wiring design of the Super-Current bank was construed on max. eight LEDs per circuit, my original lighting plan included these three circuits with a total of 20 lamps.

During the preparation of the later installation of the circuits on the model, it is important from a practical point of view to think about how the thin leads and the return conductors of the individual circuits should be laid preferably. Withal it is necessary to consider how to pass with leads and lamps through the narrow spaces under the canopies between the pipelines and struts and past the tiny fittings and also to glue them, whiat should not be so easy.

In my first lighting trials, the matter was easier, because I had then only provisionally laid the individual LED wires under the canopies, which now inevitably needs to be done differently in the final solution.

That is why I have changed the division of the circuits, which now looks like this. Thus there will be a circuit (red) with eight LEDs connected in series, and two circuits with six lamps each.

Therefore I imagine the installation so that the three leads are led through the front right Pedestal, preferably detachable via mini-connectors, in order to be able later to let drive the Crawler with the MLP a short piece on the Pad diorama.

In contrast to my original plan, it will be more favorable to lead the first circuit (red) along the wall to the right Access Platform and then under the LH2 Access Platform. As with the other two circuits, the return wires then run via a Ground (GND) bus below the left Access Platform and the front left pedestal.

The installation of the second circuit (yellow) will presumably be the most difficult act because the place under the Blast Shield over the valves of the LH2 Valve Skid is very tight, as one can easily see here.

But we'll work it out somehow ...

The installation of the third circuit (light blue) hopefully will be a bit easier, because there is more space above the LOX Valve Skid and under the left Blast shield.
As far as with this little trip to the illumination of the clouded minds.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:47 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Hi Manfred. Been following along, just didn't know what to say re gutters except that you are still an extraordinarily skilled and patient modeler who has really sharp eyes and steady hands. Still following along...
Old 10-27-2017, 01:08 AM

Thanks elliott for looking in on me again.
I'm glad, that you still stay tuned and you like it what I'm doing here.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:27 PM

Hello friends,

after my gallstone calmed down again and can stay on parole for the time being, where he is, I can finally turn the LED switch back again to clarify a few last details with the MLP lamps and try out.

First of all, I want to introduce my Super Current Bank, which a friend of mine had designed and built in an ingenious way for illumination of my Launch Pad Diorama.

Here again briefly to the profile of this "Marvel Box", whose performance capability we deliberately generously constructed, which provides the following Constant current circuits:

- 46 current circuits (adjustable from 0.6 ... 5.6 mA) for the normal lighting of the FSS/RSS, as well as of the MLP and the Crawler,

- 6 current circuits (adjustable from 0.6 ... 5.6 mA) for warning lights (switchable to flashing),

- 6 current cuits (fixed at 12 mA) for flood light poles on the pad,

- 2 current circuits (fixed at 220 mA) for the overall lighting of the diorama

In each of the two circuits (220 mA), 2 LEDs can be connected in series. In each of the other circuits, however, up to 8 LEDs can be connected in series. That gives the impressive number of total 464 LEDs (368 + 48 + 48), which I will not exhaust corresponding to my previous planning.

Before I react to the red LED (0401) for the Warning lights connected to the Current bank in the picture above, I have scrutinized once again the relevant lamp shapes for my pad model, initially adopted by the Apollo LUTs at the beginning of the Shuttle program and later replaced by more modern lamps.

At that time there were lamps both with reflector (Type A) and without reflector (Type E), and this type also with red globe (Type F), as it was used for the warning lights.

In the Tower (FSS) and on the RSS the lamps with reflector were mostly installed,

for which I have used expanded ferrules (1 mm˛) with inserted beads for fixing the LED wires.

With the exception of lamps 2 and 3 (yellow) and lamp 2 (light blue), all lamps on the Side 1 are type A and have a reflector,

what one can see a little more clearly in this picture section.

As a reference measurement for the dimensioning of both lamp shapes served me the width of the webs on my MLP walls of 1.5 mm.

And so back to the first image with the red LED for the warning lights, which works perfectly with the Current bank, only it does not blink quite as fast as this one.

Since these lamps without a reflector are slightly smaller, I have used slightly smaller ferrules (0.5 mm˛), which need not be widened as much as the sleeves for the lamps with reflector (left in the picture).

The difficulty with these lamps without reflector is to find a suitable glass bead for the glass body, for which I have tried different bead sizes.