PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 04-07-2016, 11:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Congratulations for new model, it's look so nice and great snap!
Old 04-08-2016, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Thank you for your nice words,
yep, the effort has paid off once again.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 04-12-2016, 01:01 AM

Hello everybody,

so strictly speaking, I move with the screws on the flange/cover close to the limit of what is meaningfully feasible, especially since they are hardly visible to the naked eye from some distance. But even the smallest edges produce a visible shadow casting. And since I have started this crazy thing with the screws, I will finish it too.

Sometimes I have indeed even myself problems to identify which discs have the stamped screws already, and which not, and therefore I always need my headset magnifier for this work.

This concerns, for example, in particular the screw heights that should be only about 0.1 mm (cover) or 0.2 mm (flange), what can be quickly exceeded during stamping. But meantime I have a very good feeling in the hands, and if necessary, the height of the protrusions can be even aligned a bit in the sliding caliper.

A few small changes I've made. So the flange-tubes now are built by gluing together two discs with Ø 1.0 and 0.5 mm, each 0.5 mm thickness, which is a bit closer to the real thing. And the rear bolts of the flange I have stamped now on discs (Ø 3.5 mm) with 0.25 mm thickness, because the thinner discs (0.2 mm) are slightly bulged at the edges by stamping.

Therefore, I have gently bent back the stamped discs over an opening of the punch set in order to compensate the edge bulge, as best as possible.

Then I have glued the flange-tubes on the stamped flange,

then I have glued the flange-tubes on the stamped flange, and then a 0,2 mm thick disc (Ø 3,5 mm) on the front in order to get the required thickness.

Then the distance discs for the gap were glued to the flanges and then finally the stamped covers in front of them.

And now the four tiny flange tubes with a total of 96 screws are finally completed.

And therefore I can now actually soon carry on with the construction of Rainbirds A-1, to which they belong.

Last edited by spacerunner; 09-19-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:37 AM

Hello everybody,

so, now I want to start with the nice Rainbird A-1.

And these are the most important parts of this that I have already prepared. This is the knitting needle for the lower tube (Ø 7.9 mm) with the conical midsection and the upper tube (Ø 6.3 mm), the completed flange covers, the two screw belts, as well as the recently completed flange-tubes.

First, I've cut out the opening in the top tube, which was this time a little easier because it extends across the half tube.

After that I marked out the length of the conical part of the knitting needle and tried to trim it onto the inner diameter of the upper tube (Ø 5.9 mm) by using a cordless screwdriver, because a small turning machine I have unfortunately not (yet). But with the cutter-chisels as turning tool did not work, because it is too weak and too resilient.

So only the rasp has worked well, a somewhat rustic technique, but quite successfully.

Consequently some of rework was necessary, but ultimately I reached the required diameter,

and so I could test the tube.

Now the reference length was marked at the rear end and then was made the slope (8°) for the cover,

and the same procedure again for the rear Rain Bird A-2, so that it is also well worthwhile. Finally, both parts were still glued together.

Wait a minute please.

Last edited by spacerunner; 09-19-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:38 AM

And then should follow the screw belt in proven manner, I had initially pinned to the back side with CA and wanted to glue it roundly. But then I suddenly was rather suprised when I wanted to put the belt around the tube.

So I had actually used the longer belt for the larger diameter of the lower tube. Good thing I had not even further glued because the thin retaining strip would not have survived peeling. But the first millimeter could still be replaced without prejudice.

And then the same procedere with the proper belt,

which fit almost perfectly, except the last bolt, which no longer had enough space.

So the last bolt had to be removed once again in order to make slightly up space in the gap.

And with this result I could be satisfied again.

So, now can also follow the lower screws-belt.

Last edited by spacerunner; 09-19-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Wow, that's tiny!!! Amazing how you can handle micro parts.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:14 AM

Thanks for your nice words,
but wait and stay curious, because next time it still will go further down.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerunner View Post
Thanks for your nice words,
but wait and stay curious, because next time it still will go further down.

I'm very excited....
Old 04-17-2016, 03:23 PM

Hello friends, here comes the next update.

On the upper screw-belt was still missing the cover strip for indication of the flange which was now glued step by step.

And for the exact separation of the overlapping and gluing of the strip at the end the big magnifier was needed.

Insofar as this ring looks already well, now only the gaps need to be filled with wood glue.

And then came the lower belt's turn, but first its position had to be marked at the foot.

Then also this belt was glued stepwise.

After this was successfully done, I have already the two flange tubes placed provisionally and was surprised because it looked quite cool.

After also the lower cover strip was glued, also the cover should come on top.

And there the A-1 is standing now and waiting for the next step, probable now the angular profiles in addition to the opening and the T-beams on the back will follow, and finally then the four flange tubes.

And finally, a look at the nice couple from A-1 and B-1.

So much for today.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
The 1-Cent-coin has been so prominent in this thread that it has to be used somewhere on the model once it is finished.