PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-29-2013, 07:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Just fantastic work! I am really enjoying this project.

Chris
Old 08-30-2013, 12:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello Chris,

thanks for your kind words.

Nice if you like it, I am pleased with your interest.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:46 AM

And here is the next step today with the installation of the LH2-Vent line on the Side 4, which is the grey and with Ø 2.5 mm something thicker of the two pipes. Since this line also has three Expansion joints in Bay 1, 5, and 13, I must devide it again into sections, as already the LOX-Vent line on Side 2. And to the left in addition to the expansion joints in the Bay 5 and 13 also two Pipe anchors are sitting for stabilization.

I started at the rear corner of Side 4/Side 3. In this corner, both LH2-pipes have a segmented 60° pipe elbow, which each is sealed with a blind flange, as shown in the following image. At this point, the LH2-pipes of MLP are connected to the supply lines of the LH2-Tank.

Source: NASA

The 1st section of the Vent line prepared with the 60° pipe elbow extends from the corner until to the expansion joint in Bay 13, in which the 2nd section is attached.

Left the two Pipe anchors are sitting.

Here are the prepared sections of the LH2-Pipes, separating the lower section in front of the left expansion joint, but only after painting.

Now the sections can be threaded through the pipe supports. Here follows the 2nd section with the expansion joint in Bay 13 already.

The expansion joints were made as the other on Side 2, the flange rings of square Evergreen strip 0,5x0,5 mm, as well as the boot from 7 turns of lead-wire Ø 0,3 mm.

In the Bay 5 the 3rd section with the 2nd expansion joint is attached then tomorrow, and finally in the Bay 1 the last section with the 3rd expansion joint, first everything to the fitting. The sections are painted and then finally glued with each other.

Next the blind flange at the end of the segmented arch of the Vent line was glued, consisting of three thin sheet discs (0.3 mm).

Then this 1st section of the vent line was threaded through the pipe supports and permanently attached, followed by the next two sections up to Bay 1.

Since the 4th section with the front expansion joint can be moved only after the corner pipe support is installed, the white Transfer line with its segmented arch was prepared at the end.

And here I thought, how I might build the blind flange at the end of the line. This is a kind of double flange, as in this photo was seen already.

To do this, one could use this small brass rope pulley, I discovered on the ship modeling accessories.

That would fit quite well by the dimensions, let's see how that looks, when the transfer line is painted.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:05 AM

Hi Guys,

because I finally would like to go around the corner on the Side 1 with the LH2 pipes, yet the last corner pipe support was to scratch. And to do this you need know good detail photos, on which can be seen also. These corners around the MLP are now not so often been photographed, but I have once again found a suitable image in my collection that is well suited as a template:

As you can see it, the pipes are to held by double brackets on either side. And now let's go, as a foundation for the brackets of the pipes, an angle from Evergreen strips was pasted in the corner angle.

Then the lateral dividers for the corner reinforcement and the rear mount rounding were glued still, which are hard to detect at the many white underground. This will be to see more clearly then in the painted state. And so the holder for the Vent line is already done.

The holder for the slightly thinner Transfer line was produced in the same way. And the entire corner support can be seen in the following image.

Thereon the first part of the Vent line-bracket was glued.

For the front bracket I used an I-beam, 1,5x1,2 mm, to which the mounts were glued on both sides.

The prepared holder was then glued on the front base plate.

Then the lateral dividers for the corner reinforcement and the rear mount rounding were glued still, which are hard to detect at the white underground. This will be to see more clearly in the painted state. And so the complete bracket for the Vent line is already done.

The bracket for the slightly thinner Transfer line was produced in the same way. And the entire corner support can be seen in the following image.

That is now the painted corner support,

and so both pipes can be moved around the corner to Side 1, for which the next two pipe supports are required there.

The installaton of the LH2 Pipes around the corner was but not as quickly as I first thought. And just wild on it go to build, as you know is not on my mind. Of course the position of the pipes must match namely Side 1 together with the formation of the two following pipe supports, both distance of the MLP wall and height above the Access platform AP 4. And this adjustment you can make difficult without the two supports, especially as these two supports are different from those on the Sides 2 and 4, as you can see on this picture.

Because the pipes run behind the corner, in contrast to the other two sides not relatively close in front of the MLP wall but at much greater distance from her, they have a special structure with lateral supports and reinforcement angles and are thus somewhat more complicated. Therefore, I had to do once again very accurate detailed studies to detect and understand the construction in order to consider how to build this support at best.

In David Maier's Paper kit they are called Pipe hanger and look:

On the installation sketch all looks relatively simply and clearly, but provides you only this puzzle alone on the cutting and folding these delicate parts before, let alone when fixing. So no offense Mr. Maier, but not with me!

So let's begin, the two basic body are similar like the previous support on the other two sides, so again an I-beam 1,5x1,2 mm, a rectangle profile of 1,5x1,0 mm, as well as Evergreen strips 1,0x0,25 mm, 0,75x0,25 mm and a small U-beam 1,2x0,7 mm as bearing of the Vent line. Here you cn see the beginning of the construction:

I let always something overlap the struts and cut them according to the binding of Superglue, because that's easier to manage with the tweezers while fixing.

And here is the first basic body.

The second body went smooth as well, in addition you can see the rear outriggers to the MLP wall 5,0x1,0 mm from rectangle profile, coming at the longer support side.

And now I must consider well how to continue. Probably, it will be better if I glue the body first of all on the MLP wall and afterwards the reinforcement angles and lateral struts. But now I must just determine the places for the two supports and thereby keep in mind, that the lines are not parallel to Access platform AP 4 but slightly rise to the left up to the Access Platform AP3 with LH2-Valve skid.

I guess this seems to be a tricky matter for the next days ...

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 AM

So somehow I had thought through but not precisely enough the Assembly process, and this has essentially two reasons. With the bonding of the two pipe supports on the MLP wall I had more almost no room for any necessary corrections, which may be but perhaps necessary, because the two LH2 pipes from the corner support increase slightly oblique to the Access platform with the LH2-Valve skid. And then the two supports have these already described, somewhat complicated structure with some lateral reinforcement angles, again located in the millimeter range. And the assembly of this tiny parts above the access platform bulky for handling would have been likely to be very stressful, namely so about 15 items that need to be glued there on both sides of the support body. And to do this you need simply maximum free moving space.

Therefore I have considered, to do this delicate work rather separately on the support body, and then to make a fitting on the MLP wall with the provisionally threaded pipes with almost complete supports.

Let's go: The two basic bodys of the pipe supports sit on the already shown rear outriggers between an upper and lower cross bracer on the MLP wall, marked in this picture with arrows. And on these cross bracers, I had then continued the further assembly.

Because the painted rectangle profiles were anyway not firmly adhered, I took the same again new profiles and prepared the lateral reinforcement angles. These sit on the upper and lower cross bracers(triangular), as well as directly on the MLP wall (trapezoidal shapes). While the triangles on the cross bracers have a constant width, the intermediate trapezia ranging to the vertical reinforcement bar on the wall.

When placing the reinforcement angles one has to consider still more details because both support differ. And one has already to look back and look at photos from different locations.

For better comparison, I show the photo with the other position here again, and between these two (and other photos) I am changed often back and forth enough clarity about these differences in detail to identify and understand in the construction.

As you can see on this picture, the right support on the right has no trapezoidal reinforcement angles, but only on the left side (unfortunately hidden), in contrast to the left support, which has them on both sides. Because I don't want you to unnecessarily confuse or bore, looks simply itself, first with the right support.

And with applying this tiny parts the puzzle now really begins. Doing my modified approach during the assembly should prove extremely helpful. The cross bars formed a sufficiently solid foundation together with the rectangle profile behind the support basic body. And so I could turn this framework now easily back and forth and install right and left all the other angles.

Here is the view from the right,

and here from the left.

So but still not enough of the cruel game, at the end all angles got still cover plates from Evergreen strips 0,75x0,25 mm on the leading edge. And then I could ever make a first fitting of the right support on the ground and had to breathe.

Up here since now around 25 pieces stuck in it. Now missing only the lateral oblique support bracers on the left side of the support, which can be glued but only after the final assembly of the support on the wall.

Now it went further with the left pipe support, whose basic body was already prepared. I had already explained the different arrangement of the remaining triangular and trapezoidal reinforcement angles, you can now watch in the following images.

Even from the right side

and here from the left side.

The next step will be a test fitting of the pipes behind the corner.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 09-02-2013, 06:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Jaw dropping detailing at it's best!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the nice words.

And now beaming with joy I wanted to make the test fitting at the MLP with two supports and two pipes. But it delivered to my horror a nasty surprise, hard to believe, but true.

As I had threaded both pipes through the supports, turned out that the corner pipe support was somehow too far forward. This had to result, that the pipes don't run parallel to the Side 1, but diagonally to the wall. Holy crap I thought, since I must have measured wrong probably. What now?

The support stuck down but so that I could not replace him, probably he would have not survived anyway that. Remained only the possibility of cutting him from the front in the curves with the round stick with extreme caution and very much feeling gently to about 2 mm. And maybe that was a hot number, I can tell you, almost like an open heart surgery.

With the fingertips of the left hand I gently propped up the support, and carefully honed with the right hand, or rather, stroked with the round stick. And I have tried several times, whether it produced already ranges from the length, but quite a few passes were necessary, because I could not put so much pressure.

I had real concerns that the support would give up the spirit but at some point. But he has survived this ordeal happily and looked after the surgery:

And so I could finally make the fitting of the pipes in the supports, and that worked then finally also quite well and I was happy - end good, all good.

Then the supports were painted, and so the image rounds out now more and more.

And now also the installation of the pipes around the corner can be done.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:56 AM

So, before the LH2-Vent line runs now around the corner, the two supports received each on the left side the lateral oblique support struts (0,75x0,25 mm).

Then the segmented elbow pipe of the Vent line was prepared, which runs to the Side 1.

It should be noted that the Vent line is reduced immediately in front of the left support approximately to the diameter of the transfer line (see arrow).

I have measured the length of the pipe to the left so that it's immediately ranging about to the support on the Access platform AP 3 in front of the LH2-Valve skid. After that will follow bizarre branches of pipes and valves. Therefore I will build first the valve skid outside the access platform, in order to have enough freedom of movement. Then the complete skid is to connect to the two pipes.

And now the LH2-Transfer line on the Side 4 could begin next building. This pipe is thus somewhat more complicated, because it has four welded joints, which are covered with protective casings. These white casings are shown in this picture (see arrows, HiRes with double click). There are also several double rings on the line.

Therefore the line had to be divided into four sections. I started at the rear end, where the pipe is locked with a blind flange for what been using a brass sheave from ship modeling. The 60° elbow pipe also is segmented.

This first segment of the line was then painted.

I have wrapped the protective casings from aluminium foil and painted with white (satin).

And the rings are made of strips 0,5x0,5 mm.

And so the first two transfer line segments are completed.

The remaining two line segments will follow next time.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:05 AM

And here are the two remaining segments of the Transfer line already trial pre-installed.

The connection of the pipe segments had relatively well to do, because the protective casings were ideal joints.

Now the transfer line must be performed only just around the corner, wherefore made this connection element with segmented elbow pipe.

And now this part must fit only into the gap.

And it fits, and the fitting looks in any case already quite passable.

So, that would be once completed.

Now I'll go back to the Side 2, as yet the LOX-Transfer line is missing, which is produced according to the same pattern.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:33 AM

Meanwhile it continued with the LOX-Transfer line on Side 2 for first the blind flange came at the end of the line. I.e. the actual blind flange is already done, which is the grey disc with the medium-sized red seal. But still a thicker white disc comes close behind it.

And here is the finished flange with the segmented elbow pipe as first part of the Side 2 transfer line already, which had to be divided into several segments due to the five Welding joints and of the rings distributed along the entire length.

Because the transfer line with 1.4 mm diameter is relatively thin, I have taken this time insulation tube for the rings. The casings of the welding joints are again wrapped in aluminium foil. And then everything went to the painting.

And this is the finished first segment, which now can be installed at the end of Side 2.

First the final segment with the blind flange was threaded through the rear support and connected to the 2nd pipe segment in the following welding joint. This segment ranges in the Bay 5, where already the next welding joint will come. In between are still three groups of rings. Behind it, the beginning of the 3rd segment is already to see with the rings.

The connection of 4th segment then follows in the welding joint in the Bay 9, then ranging in the Bay 15.

Then follows only the last pipe segment - with the segmented elbow pipe - which leads to the Side 1.

And so it has now its particularity. While the Transfer line on Side 2 was previously white, but now its color changes located in the segmented elbow pipe at the corner to Side 1 strangely on grey (why always??), how to see clearly in this picture (see arrow).

This must be so, because the NASA engineers will have thought already anything it.

So, and here the first grey segment of the transfer line is preinstalled behind the corner on the left pallet on the Access platform AP 1.

And so the boredom of endless straight pipes is over now, because it goes now from the left pallet to the right pallet, and so that finally the long prepared LOX-Valve skid again comes into play. And because it goes directly in Bay 7 in front of the LOX-Filter from the horizontal in a vertical after up, so high of course not quite.

Shortly thereafter, it is now really exciting because now the branchings of the pipes on the valve skid are beginning and really have it in themselves. Let's see what still can be built.

And so slowly but surely, Side 1 begins to fill ...

As far as for today.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Google Adsense