PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-06-2013, 12:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello all together,

And so back to continue the LOX-Transfer line on the left Equipment pallet on the Access platform AP 1, I had indeed already on a trial basis adapted to the length. As well as already declared and was to see, the color of the transfer line around the corner to the Side 1 changes from white to grey.

This pipe segment has some details that you can see on my standard photo shown already several times by the left pallet.

Source: Capcomespace.net

There are three groups of three rings, two smaller cylinders (possibly filter), one is vertically standing (1) and the other horizontally to rear (2), and in the middle are a pipe coupling (3) with a delicate small valve on the top. And these things I've tried me first.

The white rings left in the image are again from square profile (0,5x0,5 mm) bent. The right cylinder with the four rings of lead wire (Ø 0,3 mm) is this pipe coupling. For the valve attachment, I had originally intended the red part in, by the way comes from an interdental brush. But as you can see already, this part of the proportions is produced but much too big for the coupling when looking at this picture to do so (see lower left corner).

Source: J. Patterson (NASASpaceFlight.com)

That is why I have made the small valve attachment itself, the two lateral elements are made of round profile (Ø 1,0 mm), the upper small part is only about 1,0x1,0 mm, so it should probably be arrived on the border of what is possible in this scale. The left white part is one of the two small filters (Ø 2,0 mm).

But somehow the proportions of the lateral elements on the valve attachment were always incorrect, which would have to be thin, which I then changed, left by a small nail (Ø 0,7 mm) and right by a pin (Ø 0,6 mm), which then looked better.

And this is the fitting on the pallet with the customized segmented elbow pipe.

Here are some pictures for the overall impression:

This is not everything but still long, because this main pipe of the transfer line has still a parallel side extrusion,
that branches off backwards, as you immediately can see on my 3rd image in front of the MLP wall.

And this side extrusion has still some small details that also has to be scratch built next time.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:42 AM

First of all the small supporting side extrusion at the beginning of the transfer line from the next to last picture has to wait because it can only be welded after the final assembly of the first line segment on the left pallet. To do this it must be threaded namely from behind under the Vent line through. And therefore this must still wait a while.

My short break was necessary, because in the meantime, I had to brood over the LOX-Valve skid on the right pallet. Since I must convert unfortunately my first prototype something, after I have noticed some inconsistencies in recent photographs, regarding the wiring of the pipes, which is somewhat complicated. And also some supports shall be completed, I had been so still not recognized.

That is a pretty difficult business with the transition from the left to the right pallet and then to the LH2-Valve skid on the medium access platform, because since the alignment as well as the height of the lines must be in agreement. And that's why you can build not so away if not everything in paroxysm will degenerate but should fit together. Therefore, it is also appropriate for the time being not to glue the individual line segments, in order to always again control and make any changes or corrections, what but rather keeps.

So, the LOX-Valve skid was rebuilt only again. It had to be laid initially somewhat lower, so that the transfer line has still some air. Then had to change some supports and some new were added, as shown in the next pictures.

After a first fitting with the transfer line segment could be made.

And it looks already quite passable. Nevertheless the segment cannot be glued yet, because I'm not yet done on the right pallet.

At the end of the line to the elbow pipe it goes then up to the junction in the direction of the LOX-Filter.

Up to this point also the Vent line must be extended to the right which branches off from the blind flange and runs directly over the Transfer line. And that was tried out then equal times,

and also looks good.

The line is still capped then at the place of the elbow pipe. And then it gets really cruel, as shown in this picture.

Source: J. Patterson (NASASpaceFlight)

From left here comes the Transfer line (below) and above the Vent line. Right in the picture then the Vent line joins in the Transfer line and then's goes above and in the elbow pipe backwards to the MLP wall and from there right to the LOX-Filter. And in between there are some fittings, expansion joints and valves, etc. ...

That should be enough for today, because at this sight already I'm worried to death and singing with the BEATLES: HELP, I NEED SOMEBODY ...

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
Looks fantastic....
so many details in this scale...

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 09-07-2013, 06:39 AM

Thanks Michael for the nice compliments.

I'm honest, this is really quite stressful at this scale 1:160, but it will probably become even more complicated, I'm afraid ...

Nevertheless, I have to bite me through and not give up ...

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:09 AM

And after the frightening sight of the small pipes and valves in the last pic I think to myself, don't worry be happy seems to be the better way out.

Therefore it preceded a bit again on the right pallet, which further overhauled and completed, which should be so easy to see.

Thus, the right pallet is now complete. The ring of LOX-Filter of that is caused by back and was already a bit too thick, was renewed by one made of 0.3 mm lead wire. Then, the complete pallet together with three lines was painted for the further pipe laying on the pallet and additionally requires the diameters 1.6 mm, 1.2 mm and 0.7 mm.

Now the pallet definitively can be attached on the platform and begun with the laying of the cute branches.
Above of Transfer line's butt follows the segmented transition to connect the Vent line and then the branch before the MLP wall and then right to the LOX-Filter.

Right next to the LOX-Filter three pipes with different diameters run then directly from the MLP wall on the Access platform AP 3 (behind the LH2-Valve skid) to Bay 13, from where they then run upward into the LOX-Tunnel, which leads to the right TSM, as shown here in the next pic.

Source: NASA

Don't bother you that the LOX-Filter on the pic looks differently than mine, but this is a photo of the MLP-3, where this other type of filter was used.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 09-08-2013, 09:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
Manfred, I am continuously amazed every time you post pictures. I'm already thinking of ways that I can improve my MLP when i get to that step.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:54 AM

Thanks Mohammed for your nice words.

I am glad if you like it and you might get some inspiration for your build.

I'm not sure if you had already started with the MLP? I think you also want to use David Maier's Paper kit, right?

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:52 AM

I haven't decided which one I want to build. I might superdetail AXM's, I might not.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:23 PM

Hi Mohammed,

it depends on you what kind of MLP you want to have and how much effort you want to drive. If it is to be plain and simple, you can build the AXM version. If you like it to be more detailed, you take David's kit.

Last edited by spacerunner; 09-08-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:42 PM

Yes, but I can't edit David's kit from the files. I can remove some parts on the AXM one to scratch them, and Alfonso's design is easier. If you'll look at my LUT model, you'll see that I made the sides off of AXM, and thus was able to scratch the details that weren't there on David's kit. And of course, you can only build one MLP, Alfonso lets you build all of them.
Google Adsense