PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-08-2013, 03:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Manfred,

The tenacity and dedication you are putting into this launch pad build is amazing, mindblowing...

I imagine that you have done extensive research on the real thing to be able to recreate the inricate look of the piping, joints, ladders, walkways and other small scale parts? There is a gritty, life-like look to all the parts - you are really clever with the coloring.

Are you building the whole swing-away side service tower too? If you do, I can see why it would get even more complicated later on...

Thank you for sharing this work of real space art. Very educational!

All the best from Stockholm,
Bengt
Old 09-08-2013, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello Bengt,

thanks for your words of appreciation and your enthusiasm.

You're absolutely right, to scratch build this many details, I have invested a lot of time in research and study of reference photos in high resolution. But I was also interested in technology and I wanted a little more understanding of this ingenious technique.

Yep, if the MLP will be finished, I will build the entire Launch tower consisting of Fixed Service Structure (FSS) and Rotating Service Structure (RSS), which will become actually a big challenge.

Therefore stay tuned!

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
I can't wait Manfred :D
Old 09-09-2013, 12:20 AM

Hello Mohammed,

nice that you're still interested, stay tuned the next 10 years more, then you will see it ...

After the overhaul of LOX-Valve skid was finally completed, I've can stick finally there on the access platform. Thus, it could now further go with the continuation of the transfer line with the segmented elbow pipe behind the stub. And because the branch of pipes is quite expensive and requires various items it took longer this time.

Since the production of small elbow pipe is something difficult, I've glued first always longer parts and cut them after the bonding of adhesive. And if you have bad luck, the stubs can cancel again, and then everything is starting again ...

Here you can see some of these parts needed for the further construction of the lines. Left of the cent coin is the Transfer line sent with the finished elbow pipe, which left leads up to the end of the line next to the LOX-Filter, in between the junction of the Vent line is located. In the gap between the parts, the LOX-Filter sits then. Right is the continuation of transfer line, which then leads to the LOX-Tunnel,

again with two segmented elbow pipes.

The prepared pipe segments with some small details are now.

Originally I wanted to build the lines on the platform piece by piece from the front to the MLP wall, but that would be probably become quite complicated so I had to change this arrangements. I think that it is more appropriate to move the transfer line in front of the MLP wall to the LOX tunnel and then being able to align all other lines.

And so the LOX tunnel had to be taken closer under the magnifying glass, on the last photo of previous post one can detect it just yet so under the blast shields. A special locking mechanism is located above the tunnel with two Pipe guides, which fix the two thicker horizontal lines upwards.

And so roughly, the part should look in principle:

To adjust the direction and to the fitting of the device the MLP were placed on the back wall.

In between something was painted then also once again.

To hold of the pipes on the MLP wall, there are a whole series of similar pipe guides, now displaced. They partly sit on horizontal reinforcement struts, which were installed in addition, since they are absent in the paper kit.

Next, the segment left of the LOX filter and the line leading to the LOX tunnel could be glued now, and Thank God both parts sit very well.

So long.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
it is the real madness....der echte Wahnsinn...

Manfred, I see here

http://www.raumfahrer.net/forum/smf/...?topic=10470.0

that you are in reality much more with the building....
and you work at this since two years..

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Google Adsense
Old 09-09-2013, 02:52 AM

Hallo Michael,

yes you're right, sometimes I start to doubt myself. But since my start of my major STS-6 project I have always found more and more joy in the details and so I try to get closer to the real thing as far as possible. But the scale of 1:160 is also somewhere limits.

BTW, half the time I spent with the study of matter and looking for good reference photos, and last not least of the elaborate scaling the lots of details from photos.

So, now all those who understand German, you can now track the Raumcon thread. For everyone else, I will continue to post here.

By for now.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:21 PM

And here some photos for continuation.

And now, the initial segment of the transfer line to the left corner of the Side 1 could be mounted finally also.

And now also the corner connection of the transfer line is finally fixed and stable!

Wow, that was a quite piece of work as a whole, and I am happy that everything worked very well so far.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:34 PM

And amidst the joy of my beautiful work, I received a message from DaveS with a news that has shocked me pretty. He pointed me out, that the LOX/LH2 pipes at the STS-6 mission looked metallic shiny and were not painted white and grey. And that's right, as you can also clearly see that on this photo.

Source: Retro Space Images.com (STS-6)

While the fuel pipes of all three MLP's around the mid-90's were painted in the well-known colours - Vent lines grey, Transfer lines white - the pipes at the beginning of the shuttle missions were apparently metallic shiny and looked almost the same.

Now I have to decide, what I'm doing with my pipes, very difficult. And so I'm now real considering whether I again around to paint the pipes?

That would be certainly not impossible, but somewhat more difficult, completely apart from the effort. >:( I am but not sure whether I would get the pipes with the brush so clean after painted, or whether I would ruin more me thus.

As test I have here brushed on-the-fly two metallic shades to sample on a white and gray line, which is right the Silver metallic from Revell Aqua color (36/90), and left about the Aluminum metallic (36/99), which differ but not much.

It might also be a compromise, so to let the grey Vent lines and "Silver" only the white Transfer lines, as here you can see a sample.

Now I'm curious what suggestions you may have for.

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Wow. Just Wow.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:03 AM

Thanks for your enthusiasm, but what do you think about my question, what's your proposal?

Google Adsense