PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-18-2017, 12:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
It seems that you like them.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 07-18-2017, 05:09 AM

Hello everybody,

before starting with the rounding of the longer gutters according to the new method with the plastic core strip, I have tried here the lateral gutter end from a rounded rectangle strip 0.25 mm x 1.5 mm. The strip will be cut off only after gluing.

But now to the longer part of the Gutter 1, which was pre-rounded first in the largest half-pipe (Ø 7.5 mm) with an aluminum core (Ø 4.0 mm).

And this went on in several stages with diminishing diameters of the semiconductors and core wires, starting with

Ø 6,4 mm,

Ø 6,0 mm,

Ø 4,7 mm.

down to Ø 3,0 mm.

The following rounding with the plastic core strip (1.75 mm) was then carried out on the foam strip,

and then by pressing it together in the Balsa "vise".

And then it went on with the 1.5 mm core wire on my "pin board" using my Balsa-Clamp technique, with which I have bent already the SSWS pipes.

By cleverly clamping, the core wire can be held down with the inserted gutter, while at the same time in the interspace the gutter wall can be smoothed almost perfectly by swaying the balsa board back and forth. And by re-clamping the arrangement one can also reach the previously covered areas of the gutter for smoothing them.

The rounding could then be further smoothed on the other also rounded side of the core strip by pulling a fixed rubber over the gutter rounding.

And this is the result of all this tender loving care,

which can really be impressive and so is also taken from the Quality Control of the FSC.

And since I now know the fact how it works, I can calmly dedicate myself to the other gutters.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:48 PM

Hello everybody,

let's have a short break, because I have got an interesting post by a nice fellow (DaveS) in the NASASpaceFlight.com Forum, who has written as follows ...

Manfred, I have found something that will require you to go back a few steps. It concerns the grid structure on the north walls of the SRB exhaust holes. It isn't launch equipment. It was in fact a temporary support or bracing structure for the walls when MLP-2 was undergoing some rebuild work back in 2004. I have attached a photo from STS-135 which was MLP-2's last launch which clearly shows that the structure isn't there.

together with this image.

Here is a better photo of his stumbling block, what hasn't been surprising me, because I have seen lots of such images already, and I know them very well ...

Source: flickr.com (Jen Scheer)

This refers to my previous rear walls of the SRB Exhaust Chambers, as created by David Maier, which can be seen here at the adaptation of the Water Bags.

In connection with this this image of a SSWS Test (2004) on the MLP-2 was always on my mind, on which these rear walls are to see.

Source: NASA

At some time I had even scratched these grid structures,

which unfortunately had fallen a victim to my emergency surgery for the adjustment of the SRB shafts , but which I have kept so far.

But since I decided to install the Water Bags, I had to renounce it for reasons of space and therefore I used the rear walls from the Paper Kit.

Interesting would be the question to David Maier, why he decided for these rear walls ...

As an explanatory answer, I sent DaveS the above picture of the SSWS test and said that the back walls also looked like this after the conversion of the MLP-2 in the year 2004 and probably also before were not different, but what still turned out as a fallacy.

When viewing the image series of this SSWS test in NASA Media Archive was clarified to me by the detailed information that 2004 some equipment at the MLP-2 were converted or exchanged, as can be read there ...

This test is being conducted following the replacement of the six main system valves, which had been in place since the beginning of the Shuttle Program and had reached the end of their service life. Also, the hydraulic portion of the valve actuators has been redesigned and simplified to reduce maintenance costs.

especially because the Shuttle missions after the Columbia Disaster (STS-107, 2003) were interrupted for a year and a half.

And in his following answer, DaveS has also confirmed that with two pictures for me comprehensibly.

In this image of the STS-90 (1998) the known structure of the rear wall of the MLP-2 is to see, that means before the overhaul in 2004.

This image of the STS-115 (2006) shows the same structure of the rear wall in closer detail in the rear SRB shaft.

Source: NASASpaceFlight.com Forum (DaveS)

And if one looks at the following image from the overhaul phase, this frame structure was, in my opinion, should be the uncovered substructure of the rear wall, onto which the standard wall cladding was installed again after the overhaul, which was the same on all three MLPs.

So I guess that the rear walls of the MLP-2 at the STS-6 at that time also looked like this and I have to redecorate my rear walls accordingly, but that is no problem, because I still have copies of it.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:40 AM

Then let's go on,

of course this was reason enough to mend matters right away, which is gone, is gone!

Here one can see once again the old, but wrong rear wall (right) of the SRB shaft from the Paper kit, which is now to be exchanged by a piece from the area on its left, which is suitable very well.

Here, the two new rear wall panels are already cut out,

which were immediately tried on the "High seat", but please with greatest caution!

And that looks very well already,

and also gives a completely different picture, that I like much better.

How good that DaveS has still raised his hand, although late, but not too late.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Well as long as you don't try to fit it into an old Aztec temple like in the James Bond movie...
Old 07-23-2017, 02:25 PM

Oh nooooo, God forbid!!! Why I should do this?

My home is my castle!

Last edited by spacerunner; 07-23-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:33 PM

Hello everybody,

let's go back to the gutters and their supports.

These were the first patterns,

whose proportions were still too inaccurate to me.

That is why I have checked the dimensions more precisely with the aid of this photo since I had not considered some of the perspective distortions so far, which inevitably lead to errors.

Source: Raumcon (eumel)

And afterwards I drew this template with the new dimensions to get an accurate overview.

And as one can easily see, there is nearly nothing to be detectible in the scale 1:1, but in 5:1 one can see it much clearer, and so the shape could then also be approximately right.

This is now the new support that should fit to the gutter dummy,

which could fit well.

And with that I could go into the mini-production, I think, or are there objections or any hints?

But maybe the lower part of this support is still a bit too high ...

Old 07-27-2017, 04:09 PM

Hello friends,

in hindsight the lower part seems almost a bit too high for me, if I look at other pictures.

But perhaps it is only an optical trick of light & shadow and the viewing angle, because the lower flange always covers a part of the height.

Last edited by spacerunner; 07-27-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerunner View Post
Oh nooooo, God forbid!!! Why I should do this?

My home is my castle!

What? You don't think it's a good idea to launch a shuttle indoors?

Old 07-28-2017, 01:11 AM

I would rather think it is outside ...