PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-10-2017, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

on closer inspection, however, the lamp Made by Revell is too rustic for me, which I can not make friends with, especially as the tube seems also too thick to me.

And since the lamps are getting a bit more filigree anyway, I have taken measurement at the RSS-lamp once more.
And behold, my sense of proportion has not deceived me again, because the tube should have a diameter of 0.4 mm,

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (James MacLaren)

while the Revell tube with 1 mm is twice as thick, which can be seen in the following photo.

This is for comparison a brass tube with Ø 0.5 mm, which would match the lamp size well, compared with the overlying lampshade, which is a little smaller with Ø 2.8 mm than my first samples with about Ø 3 mm (left).

And as one can see, the 0.1 mm thin LED wires let also thread into the tube, so everything is okay.
All we can hope is that one can bend the tube cleanly around the rounding without a kink, but we'll manage that too, I guess.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 11-10-2017, 03:07 PM

Hello everybody,
Oh well - pipe bending is always such a tricky thing.

But what's the name of it? Well begun is half done.
And my first bending test with the 0.5 mm brass tube looks quite useful already, right?

Which in turn confirms my credo: Nothing is impossible!!!

Old 11-10-2017, 05:31 PM

Hello everybody,
Oh well - pipe bending is always such a tricky thing and can also become a complete flop.

But what's the name of it? Well begun is half done!

And my first bending test with the 0.5 mm brass tube looks quite useful already, right?

Which in turn confirms my credo: Nothing is impossible!!!
BTW, maybe the pulling in of the two 0,1 mm wires is even favorable for the bending of the brass tube, since its diameter is 0.3 mm, which both wires almost fill.

Last edited by spacerunner; 11-11-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:42 PM

Hello friends,

here is another update to the marked three lamps without shade on the Side 1, as well as for the Hazard warning lights with this shape here.

Source: NASA

In my search for even better matching ferrules for this lamp shape, I've actually found something, and indeed at Völkner, who offers the smallest available size 0.1 - 0.3 mm². And although that are equal to 100 pcs, which I guaranteed will not need, so I grabbed it, and today the package arrived, so of course I had to try it.

These sleeves have a shade diameter of 1.5 mm, which corresponds exactly to the width of the MLP girders, and would therefore be even better suited than the previously tested 0.5 mm² sleeves with Ø 1.9 mm (shade).

An LED 0402 can also be threaded into the sleeve, as you can see on this picture. To the left are the 0.5 mm² and the 1 mm² sleeves.

And if the back part of the shade is slightly widened, then the shade looks like this (right) and its shape would therefore fit even better.

But since there probably are no matching transparent or red glass beads for this size, which should have a diameter of approx. 1.3 mm, one would have to apply the glass body above the LED with transparent epoxy resin. But wether that would work, I do not know ...

Let's try and see.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:48 PM

Hello everybody,

once more back to the Tube bending. The wires I have threaded before, especially since that would be one of the two options in the later installation. But since I for myself was unsure how far I had threaded the wires, I have checked it out.

And as one can see here, the wires actually went beyond the arch,

so they might have been a bit of a bending aid.

But there is also this second option here, which had brought a friend at the Raumcon forum into play at that time.

In this case, only one wire (anode) needs to be threaded into the tube, the other wire (cathode) could be separated and then soldered at both ends with the brass tube and thus use it as a return conductor (GND).

When using brass pipes, of course, there is the risk of sharp edges, which is why you have to debur the separation points at the tube ends carefully or round off, so that the protective varnish of the LED wires stays intact and there is no short circuit is caused.

That I have tried with my thinnest drills, first with a drill Ø 0.3 mm, which did not fit into the opening, but hopefully has served for deburring,

and then with a drill Ø 0.25 mm for cleaning.

Then I have cut my first bent tube to length, also deburred the ends, and then tried to thread in both 0.1mm wires one at a time to test whether or not the bow can be run through.
That was the expected tricky affair, and threading alone was not for the faint of eyes.

In the process, I first have slided the one wire from the long side into the opening and carefully felt my way to the bending so as not to unnecessarily bend the wire out of shape, which worked out well. And after a short standstill it went around the arch and out at the other end.

The second wire then made some more problems and only progressed a few millimeters, then I had to grasp again. But as one can see, it finally came to the fore again at the other end.

Whether the threading would be easier from the short side, I do not know what one could try.

In any case, the soldering on the tube could be avoided this way.
That's it for now, maybe there are still useful tips from this round.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Faint of eyes -LOL. I doubt if this could be of use but here's the link anyway https://www.preciosa-ornela.com/en/p.../20-seed-beads . They have Delica 1.3mm x 1.3mm red seed beads. I think they may be a wholesaler selling in bulk but am not certain. The problem, I think, is that they are tubes. Don't know if they could be adapted or not. They are listed in the center of the page near the bottom.
Anyways, your steady progression in the face of one problem after another is inspiring, to me at least, and to many others I'm sure. Looking forward to your next update.

Update - Preciosa is a wholesaler.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:07 AM

Thanks elliott for your kind compliments and for the interesting link.

These mini beads Delica-RH / 321 11 001 (1,3 x 1,3 mm) could be a possibility with their size, and Macco-RH / 321 11 001 (1 x 1 mm) would also be interesting.

Source: preciosa-ornela.com

Crucial would be the inner diameter, which I have estimated from the image to 0.65 mm, which would be to check, which is why I have just asked there once.

Similar mini beads (Ø 1.3 x 1.1 mm), which would fit and would also be suitable for threading the LED, I have in my stock, but unfortunately they are silvered and not transparent or red-transparent.
So the matter does not seem to be hopeless.

Last edited by spacerunner; 11-21-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:23 PM

Hello everybody,
just short to the status quo, as one could expect, from the Crystal Valley I've got a negative answer to my request, because they only deliver upwards of 30 kg.
And quite so many lamps there are not installed on the Launch Pad.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:48 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
<Chuckles> That might be just a few too many Manfred! Don't give up the hunt!
Old 12-02-2017, 01:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
This thread has made me join the forum. Loving this!