PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Oh Manfred, you had such high hopes for this. I'm sorry to hear, and see, the missing inner tube and the broken rear inner ring and can only hope that it is repairable without a huge investment of time and resources. Do you think that the ultrasonic bath will remove the supporting wax in the fine grooves? Here's hoping you are able to bring the intertank issues to a happy resolution.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Thanks elliott,
anyone who knows me, also knows that I do not give up so quickly, so head up!
I still do not have any experience with the ultrasonic cleaning, but I am hopeful that everything will be fine. Now it's Shapeways's turn, then we'll see.

Therefore keep your fingers crossed.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 03-12-2018, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Manfred. You've got this far, and I know your not one to give up. Im sure this will work out in due course.This has been one incredible journey. Ed
Old 03-12-2018, 11:16 AM

Thanks Ed for your kind words.

Hi everybody,

now again to the missing inner tube, from which even Michael Key was very surprised, because when he has checked the number of parts of the model on Shapeways' website, there was displayed it with "1", which means, that everything is connected.

Then I looked at the 3D Panoramic view of the model at Shapeways' website once more very closely and found a setting where one can see that the tube on both sides clearly is not connected to the inner wall of the tank, which will now be the main subject of my complaint to Shapeways next to the crack of the inner ring.

As Michael Key has told me, it would be Shapeways' standard method of sending a reprint, whereupon I'd like to renounce because I don't want to have a part with the same errors. Instead, I should ask them for a refund and say that there are some other issues with the model, whereat I have informed the designer, who is ready to modify his model for a better version. Besides I could casually mention Shapeways' 100% Satisfaction guarantee" with which they apparently advertise.

I have informed Shapeways about this today and hope for their goodwill, to grant me a refund, in order to get an improved Intertank with inner tube in the second attempt.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:12 AM

Hello everybody,

today I tested my new Ultrasonic cleaning bath.

Here is a vivid video of it by BANDELIN, on which one can see the ultrasonic cleaning of a chain in fast motion, and two images for comparison, in the initial state before cleaning,

and afterwards.

I was surprised by the time of about 4 hours, which may have been due to the selected object.

But I did not let myself be guided by that when cleaning my first two ASTC Rings (FUD), especially since the device only allows max. 10 minutes.

The device has 5 pre-set cleaning intervals, 90 sec., 180 sec., 300 sec., 480 sec. and 600 sec., which are automatically switched off by the timer. Obviously there is no on/off for security reasons, which I consider to be a disadvantage, especially when I think of cleaning the Intertank with its lots of fine grooves, which will certainly have to run for a longer time.
That's why I asked the manufacturer if there is no other option than having to restart the timer over and over again.

Anyway, I've let clean the FUD rings twice 600 seconds, so for a total of 20 minutes with some drops of rinse aid, after which they looked whiter than before, which has already been described by other guys.

This can be seen by this comparison between the cleaned FUD rings (left) and the uncleaned FXD rings (right), although it is not serious.

And here are the two FXD rings (right) after 20 minutes of cleaning.

BTW, the liquid looked so cloudy after cleaning of total of 40 minutes cleaning time of the four ASTC Rings, which shows in comparison to the picture before the cleaning already a quite enriched state with detached wax.

As far as to my first ultrasonic cleaning attempts.
P.S.: Shapeways is still remaining silent, whatever that may mean.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:19 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
When I was in watch and jewelry repair we used different types of ultrasonic cleaners one of which, for jewelry, looked similar to yours Manfred except it had a spin knob that you could set for 2 hours (if memory serves), it also had a heater. These, however were for commercial use, were carried by jewelry suppliers and were quite expensive. The change after cleaning is quite dramatic as you have shown. Hope your ultrasonic manufacturer is able to help you figure out a way to increase the cleaning time. With the fine detail on your 3D printed parts I would be hesitant of allowing them to clean too long. Better to start off slowly as you are doing.

Doesn't sound as if Shapeways customer service is up to par. Hope it improves rapidly, and to your satisfaction.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Dear Manfred (if I may)

85 days ago I joined this forum and every day since then I have been reading this thread from the very start. Today I have "caught up". There are many things I would like to say but for today I just want to say

"This is a masterpiece in the making being created by a master craftsman"

Thank you for both sharing and the way you are sharing.

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-15-2018, 02:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 228.85 MB
Hi Manfred,
I'm only on page 15 ..... and I miss the words.....
Old 03-17-2018, 11:34 AM

Thanks elliott for your tips,

I will not overdo it with the cleaning.

Shapeways has meanwhile accepted my complaint and granted me a refund.
Now, Michael Key can do some minor changes.

Last edited by spacerunner; 03-17-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Thanks Kevin and Helmut for your nice compliments.

It makes me happy that you like my work and you have a good pastime.

Stay tuned, the show must go on.