PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-20-2018, 05:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
"Hello Friends of the Rings,"

Is that a Tolkien joke?
Old 07-21-2018, 12:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello Becky,
as you wish ...

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 07-21-2018, 10:17 AM

Hi everybody,

in my search for more Hi-Res photos of the ET-8, I came across another great rollout photo here in NSF, even though with a laughing and a crying eye.

At first glance, one can still see no details at the Intertank in this resolution, but the picture is also from the thread Michoud: Best of External Tank - Hi-Res Images of Jester, and that's why the zoom finally provides information about the so far hidden detail structure of the Thrust Panel, which surprised me quite a bit.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

Thereon one can clearly see that these panels of the first LWTs had no circumferential rings and bars, how I let them modeled by Michael Key for my IT.

That means that the Intertank, which was modeled by Michael Key for me and since then offered by Shapeways, is no LWT-IT but an early SLWT-IT.

My mistake was that at that time I was too inspired by the 3D Intertank of my ARC friend Bill (niart17) and had not researched thoroughly enough.

Thus, this is another example of the "curse" of the late pictures, one could almost say, what I had already happened one time at the very beginning, only this time with the difference that I have surprised myself.

BTW, even in this photo one could already see this Rib structure without the circumferential rings in the zoom.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

And also my only STS-6 photo with a view of the Thrust Panel actually indicated that already, although I was not sure yet.

Source: forum/nasaspaceflight.com (woods170)
Anyway, now I know about it and just have to think about how I handle it now.

As you may remember, my two ITs look like that, whereby I really liked these Thrust Panels.

But these seven rings and small bars did not exist on the ET-8 at the STS-6 and are therefore out of place.

These rings existed only since the transition to the SLWTs since STS-91, but were then left out again since STS-122.

What is to do now? But anyone who knows me a bit closer, knows that I can not be satisfied with that, which is why I was looking for a workable solution. And since the grooves between the ribs are very narrow and flat, my mini-saw of CMK (cmkkits.com), was the perfect choice, which is only 0,1 mm thick,

With that, I carefully removed the bars between the grooves, which is cumbersome and requires the utmost caution, but is ultimately feasible, which at least my first test on a wasted IT has shown. And with the steel ruler one can then even later smoothen something.

In principle, a modification of Michael Key's 3D model would be possible, but the master is currently absent, and if I could get it that way, it would be O.K. and cheaper.
Consequently I'll probably have to bite the bullet and try to get it right on my Stack-IT, toi, toi, toi!!!

Old 07-22-2018, 05:13 PM

Hello everybody,

meanwhile, the 0,75 mm masking tape has arrived, whereby I was lucky and got the last role.

The 0,5 mm tape is unfortunately not available at this dealer, as it is no longer offered by his source in England, which is why I have ordered it now in the Sockelshop, where even 0,3 mm tape is offered.

Then I tried the 0,75 mm tape on the LO2 Tank to see if or how it sticks to the curved surface.

For this I have marked an orientation line and then glued the tape next to it, which is quite feasible, as it clings well to the curvature.

If I then have the intended as a spacer 0,5 mm tape, then I can make the test on the ET-dummy, whereby I would need to use 1 mm tape,

since the 25 m of the 0,75 mm tape would be needed almost completely for the 130 rings on the LH2 Tank and are reserved for it.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Hi Manfred

Incredible control with your hands using your "saw". Surgical precision. Would a surgeons scalpel be easier to use for this most delicate of "operations"?

Regards

Kevin
Old 07-23-2018, 05:50 AM

Thanks Kevin,

this time it would just be a cosmetic surgery, the early modifications to the SRB and SSME Blast Chambers on the MLP have hurt more at that time ...

This surgery with my mini-saw is nevertheless a delicate matter, but it has very fine teeth and is only 0,1 mm wide, which is very thin.

And therefore it works very well, if one saws accordingly careful between the ribs.

I also tried it with a sharp cutter blade, what does not work that well because one cuts too easy into the ribs.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:56 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Nice to see you working again Manfred, even if it is *only* a test. Kevin is right, your ability to control such a delicate cut to a fine tolerance (did that make sense?) is absolutely amazing. Surgeon's hands indeed.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:11 PM

Thanks Elliott,

but your question, if that make sense, I don't understand, sorry.

That's why enlighten me, please.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:26 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Spaccerunner- link sent. Many thanks. wc
Old 07-23-2018, 04:32 PM

Thanks John, I have visited your great website.