PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-20-2019, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Thanks Kevin for your great support,
I have just taken a few photos after brushing off the remaining flour, which I will show you next.

That does not look too bad ... therefore stay tuned.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 02-20-2019, 05:12 PM

Hello everybody,

these are some photos from brushing off the excess flour, whereupon the patterns have reappeared. The long-haired soft brush was perfectly suited for it, and I was amazed how easily the flour was removed.

And this is how the cleanly brushed Dummy looks like with the following patterns:

1 - single rings of 1 mm Tape, distance 0,5 mm,

2 - single turns of 0,75 mm Tape, distance 0,5 mm, as a continuous spiral (Barber pole),

3 - single turns of Evergreen Strips 0,25 mm x 0,75 mm, distance 0,5 mm, as a continuous spiral,

4 - single turns of 0,75 mm Tape, distance 0,5 mm, on it one more layer 0,5 mm Tape, as a continuous spiral,

5 - single turns of 0,75 mm Evergreen Sheet Styrene (0,1 mm), distance 0,5 mm, as a continuous spiral.

And now to the evaluation, whereby it is to be noted that all patterns will still be leveled a little bit by the following priming and airbrushing.

After that, I think the Patterns 2 and 4 are most likely to be considered, as well as possibly also Pattern 5, which correspond with the geometry (width, distance, thickness) of the SOFI Texture I had previously estimated on the basis of original photos.

Pattern 3 seems to me to be a little bit too much raised because of the thickness (0,25 mm).

On this image, the thicknesses become a bit clearer.

And here is once more a comparison of the Dummy with and without the flour structure, which I also have imagined more or less like this and which I like quite well.

As I said, a better impression one will receive only in the primed and painted state and only then can be made a final choice.
And now I'm curious about your opinion of how you see it.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
It's looking really cool (no pun intended because of the "snowy" look).
Old 02-21-2019, 08:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Looking forward to the finished product.Looks like being a mad scientist is working out.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:49 AM

Leise rieselt das Mehl ... (Silently trickles the flour ...)

Last edited by spacerunner; 02-21-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:01 PM

Hello everybody,

since during my first test the Pattex Adhesive Spray came out of the spray nozzle in a strangely flaky way, today I did another Flour test with the UHU Spray Adhesive,

wherefore I've applied again the Pattern 2 (right) and Pattern 4 (left) on the rest dummy, which are my favorites so far.

Pattern 2 - single turns of 0,75 mm Tape, distance 0,5 mm, as a continuous spiral (Barber pole)

Pattern 4 - single turns of 0,75 mm Tape, distance 0,5 mm, on it one more layer 0,5 mm Tape, as a continuous spiral

Then it went back to the flour cellar.

This time around, the application of the spray adhesive looked more regular and smoother than when tested with the Pattex Adhesive Spray and was by no means flaky, but as homogeneous as I remembered it,

as one can see here again at a slightly higher magnification.

Then I've besprinkled the the Dummy again with flour from the sieve, while turning the dummy, and then lightly pressed the flour with my fingers.

And so looked the Dummy then after the knocking off the loose flour, and I think the result looks already more even than the first test.

After the glue will has been dried through, the remaining flour is then brushed off tomorrow, and then I can make a comparison.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:34 AM

Hello everyone,
now I can also take a closer look on the result of the 2nd Flour test.

And my first impression when spraying the UHU Spray Adhesive did not deceive me. The floured surface of the Dummy looks much smoother and more fine-grained after brushing off the loose flour than with 1st Test with the Pattex Adhesive Spray, which I had suspected. Presumably, the Pattex adhesive was not quite okay and the application worked so flocky.

Maybe I should have sprayed a little more glue, so that more flour would have stuck, because the layer is indeed nicely even, but looks relatively thin.

On this image one can see very nicely the different heights of the two patterns, whereby the Pattern 2 rests relatively flat and the doubled Pattern 4 looks more like the half-rounded form of the SOFI Pattern, which might even prove more favorable in terms of the final look after priming/varnishing, depending on how much of the texture is covered by the primer/varnish.

A close comparison of the patterns of both tests is somewhat difficult to accomplish due to the removal of both Dummies and the focusing of the autofocus,

but on this image one can clearly see the finer and more homogeneous coating of the 2nd Test (right).

And since today the white Vallejo primer has arrived too, I can now prime both dummies,

and then one will see, what will be left to see from the patterns under the Flour surface, whereon I am again very curious.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerunner View Post
Maybe I should have sprayed a little more glue, so that more flour would have stuck, because the layer is indeed nicely even, but looks relatively thin.
You always have to keep the scale in mind. If you want it thicker maybe another flour layer could work. So far it's looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing the primed versions.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
I'm also very curious what the scale affect will look like with your two different options. I keep flipping between your pictures of the SOFI application on the real tank and your dummy.

I'm gonna be bold and put $5 on pattern two.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Interesting work. I'm going to need to see paint on it before I can offer an opinion....