PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-01-2019, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Tanks Marcell for looking in on me again.
Yeah, my little coin friend must always be within reach.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 08-01-2019, 03:18 PM

Hello friends,

I've now chosen to glue the LO2 Feedline Brackets, for which I've now also used 1 mm Styrene, so that the strengths of the brackets on both sides are the same.

However, I've only glued the brackets to the Crossbeam, and not to the Feedline, because I still have to glue the rings next to the Feedline supports, as well as the front missing support behind the Intertank, for what I need enough freedom of action.

The positioning and gluing of the tiny brackets was quite tricky, but then I've managed it quite well.

And the Diagonal Cross Strut fits in between quite well too.

Then I've still glued the Resin-TPS-Claddings to the Vertical Struts, so they will not be lost.

And now it can go on with the LH2 Cable Tray on the crossbeam.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
As I watch you go along, I learn more and more about things I never knew there were pictures available to see. The title of the 1981 NASA film was correct: "An Incredible Flying Machine".
Old 08-03-2019, 06:01 AM

Hi Becky,

and thanks for looking in on me again.
I feel the same way, so I'm always looking for new detail photos that give me more exact insights as basis for my scratch building, and besides I'm also fascinated anew by this ingenious space flight technique again and again.

Last edited by spacerunner; 08-03-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:18 AM

Hello everybody,

in order to be able to scratch-build the LH2 Cable Tray as completely as possible, which I'm intending, I first had to clarify its continuous course, which lasted long enough. And this course can be subdivided into two parts.

The first and much longer, but simpler part extends over the entire LH2 Tank, starting behind the Intertank, and then flows into the right Vertical Strut at its top end (see yellow circle). For the moment, however, I will defer this part until later, because it has to go along with the laying of the Ice Frost Ramps of the GH2/GO2 Press. Lines, what will follow later.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (DDG40)

In this strut, the cables then run upwards and enter the gray "Distribution box" from behind,

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (DaveS)

and from there the cable tray runs on the front side of the Crossbeam to the other side, which I will show in more detail.

Source: Scott Phillips

And now follows the difficult and time-consuming part of every scratch exercise, in which I always have to determine the required dimensions of the individual parts by using suitable reference photos/drawings.

One is spoiled for choice, depending on which reference measure (yellow) one refers, either to parts of the original photos, or to those of the Airfix Kit, which then sometimes can lead to a compromise between the two possibilities, so to speak on something between.

In the following photo, the transition from the "Distribution box" to the following Cable Tray is unfortunately covered, which is why I had to determine it by appropriate cutting lines to be able to estimate its dimensions.

The dimensions of the "Distribution box" can indeed be determined well from the next image, but here the transition area to the cable tray is covered, which is why no clear reference dimension can be found. That's why in anticipation of the next photos I used the height of the Cable Tray (2,7 mm) as reference measurement.

This is the already oftener shown photo by DaveS,

on which one can see in a rotated and greatly enlarged representation of the transition of the LH2 Cable Tray from the vertical strut into the "Distribution box" very clearly, whereby the oblique perspective allows no accurate measurement of the parts.

But there is this photo by George Gassaway,

Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)

which, in rotated and enlarged view, allows some important estimates due to the almost direct view, as well as the height of the Cable Tray (2,7 mm), previously chosen as a reference measurement, which in turn was determined from the diameter of the Thrust Strut of the Airfix Kit (Ø 3,2mm).

And so the LH2 Cable Tray arrives on the other side of the Crossbeam, whereby here one also can see well the TPS cladding of the GH2 Press. Line. And from there it is only a short distance to the LH2 Umbilical Plate, into which both the Cable Tray and the Press. Line are inserted from the bottom, wherewith we finally arrived at our destination.

Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway) Source: capcomespace.net

And so now for the practical implementation, wherefor which I have used this drawing from the ET Bible.

Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. II (Lockheed Martin)
Old 08-09-2019, 07:19 AM

Into this drawing, I have drawn as a reference measurement the distance between the two support points of the Airfix orbiter (32 mm) and then reduced the drawing to 1:144 and also still mirrored.

And with this I have now tried to draw a true to scale template for the Cable Tray with the appendage of the "Distribution box" and print out, which I also managed to some extent.

But what looked just so nice and catchy on the photos yet, shrinks on a scale of 1:144 after the expression again together in such a way, so I had to look twice when cutting out the Cable Tray.

And that's what the part looks like on the Airfix Crossbeam,

which I now only need to transfer to 0,5 mm Styrene sheet and carefully to cut it out.

On the right side of the Cable Tray one has to add this rounding and, if possible, also the 90° bend to the front, which one can see well in the zoom on this photo of the ET-121.

Source: NASA
And for completion, all that is still missing is the TPS cladding of the GH2 Press. Line, which will be made later.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
I belive the Michaud assembly facility reopened at your house. Its nothing short of phenominal how this project has taken on a life of its own. Manfred you missed your calling, but you are making up for it on a smaller scale. If this project were a drug, I want a double dose.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Said it once and it is worth saying again, This build is for all intents and purposes a post-graduate course on Shuttle design details.

☺️
Old 08-09-2019, 05:39 PM

Thanks my friends for your nice compliments, encouraging me to continue and not give up.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:52 PM

Hello everybody,

as one can see in this photo, the TPS Cladding of the Vertical Strut is reaching still a bit more upwards, has a few steps there and looks thus a little bit different than the Newware-Resin-Cladding.

In order to enable the connection to the Distribution box of the LH2 Cable Tray based on the original, I have tried to recreate these details and have glued tiny particles of the narrowest and thinnest Evergreen strips around the strut,

what was again a delicate fidding, whereby the transitions still need to be slightly sanded.

Then I've fixed the paper template of the LH2 Cable Tray with the Distribution box on the Crossbeam again to see whether or how this matches with the clearances, and whether there is still enough space for this box,

which could be about right, as one can see here.

Then I've transferred this template onto a 0,5 mm Styrene sheet and cut it out piecewise, for which I used my finest Mini-saw (0,1 mm) for the long cuts and for the short cuts my Chisel cutter.

And after that long cut, the part has been finally exposed,

and was then finely smoothened at the edges.

The following test fitting of the Cable Tray at the Crossbeam looked quite well,

so that I could turn to the small Distribution box for which I've used an Evergreen square profile 1,5 mm x 2 mm,

which, however, was difficult to handle.