PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-02-2013, 03:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Corvettenutts,

thanks for your nice words.

Honestly, this is my first larger Real space project. Before that, about 2 years ago, I built a Jumbo 747 and an Airbus A380, after I approximately 30 years no longer built.

In my childhood I built mostly aircrafts, as well as a larger helicopter and a nuclear ice-breaker. That's all.

You are right, before starting of my Launch Pad project I have spent some time with preparing and studying similar construction reports in German forums. However, the main difficulty was to get one of the old Revell Launch Tower Kits 4911, which really is a rarity.

Finally, I've got a kit from a German dealer who got it from a friend in the US. I was very happy, and then I could have actually started. But then I have spent longer time with the Revell 4911 scale problems and was thinking about a compromise, which I posted in the beginning.

So much for my modeling background.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Last edited by spacerunner; 09-16-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:56 AM

Here is the next update.

Since I have to wait with the upper cover of the SRB Blast shields some time, next were the supports for the two SRB's with the Hold downs. Those are the mounting plates of the Boosters rockets into the SRB holes. In the following picture one can see two of the four SRB supports.

Source: NASA

And it went loosely with the preparation:

First I've cut out a part of the template and folded it (above). According to the building guidance one should strengthen the parts inside with several layers of cardboard (see black master, left). I seized the proven Balsa wood back and glued a thicker (left) and a thinner part (right) together with one another. That is necessary, because the Hold downs are not symmetrical and have a chamfer at a side.

Folding and bonding the Balsa cores was already a considerable stress. There one is probably faster finished, if one parts from a full Sheet blank would file. But then the eight parts finished product finite and lay ready for assembly,

and could be bonded into the SRB Holes.

Now are missing on the supports only the four Hold Downs, that are the grey cones with the red covers in the first picture.

And that they are to become then, with grey covers.

I left the 8 SRB supports with the Hold Downs first times aside. But I operated again some photo researches for further detailing of the MLP side panels and prepared and afterwards painted the plastic profiles necessary for it.

Those are among other things the bracket sections at the four corners of the MLP (1), the “rain pipes” profiles (2) at the top margin of the Sides 2 and Side 4 with the associated downspouts (3), as well as further square and flat profiles, so among other things also the still which is missing 1x1 mm of profiles for the reinforcement bars at the rear walls of the SRB Holes.

Source: NASA

There they lie now and wait for the final cut.

It continued to go again at the rear walls of the SRB Holes. And as if I would have suspected it, already only the cut of the 1x1 mm of profiles for the reinforcement bars had it in itself. That were per one Hole 35 profiles of different length, whereby the smallest pieces at the upper ends were “long” scarcely 2 mm. The “crumbs” cut and still hold at the same time, go actually not at all, also not with tweezers. And the 70 profiles with superglue on the correct place to then glue separately, that was already one considerable wearing down and stressful number.

Wow, but it is done now!!!

And I am actually completely content with the result. Nevertheless so still a nuance sees more genuinly out in the comparison with the photo detail. But altogether it was nevertheless more complex, than I had at first presented it to me. One has that now from its detail fad.

And it is only for the sake of completeness mentioned that thereby now finally also SRB Blast Shields cover could be glued together.

And in such a way it looks from downside.

So far for today.

Last edited by spacerunner; 09-16-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Im working the the same pad models as you,but im doing STS-134.Endevours last mission.Your level of detail is off the charts and I will be watching this thread with great interest.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 479.41 MB
It's a outstanding and amazing work at this point!
I'm waiting for the next steps with interesting!

my current projekt:
Iss - the third
Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 AM

Hi eagleclaw4935,

thanks for the nice words!

Very interesting, that you are also building a Pad model. What kits do you use and what scale you are building?

Where can I find your thread? I'm very interested in.

Last edited by spacerunner; 09-16-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-02-2013, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Like you im using the Edu-Craft kits in 1/144th scale.I havnt started a thread for this build.You are the master here and my efforts pale compared to yours.If anything im learning from you.I am a humble apprentice in this case.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk310149 View Post
It's a outstanding and amazing work at this point!
I'm waiting for the next steps with interesting!
Thanks Michael for your appreciative words, the next steps follow soon.

Last edited by spacerunner; 09-16-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleclaw4935 View Post
Like you im using the Edu-Craft kits in 1/144th scale.I havnt started a thread for this build.You are the master here and my efforts pale compared to yours.If anything im learning from you.I am a humble apprentice in this case.
Hi Ed,

you don't have to be overmodest here, keep cool and let's see some photos of your builds, then we can say something more ...

Are you also planning to build David's Launch Pad Kit?

Last edited by spacerunner; 09-16-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:58 AM

Property now finally also the four corners of the MLP with the angle profiles completed and at the back the two still which are missing diagonal flat profiles attached.

After the Side 3 I planned now the Side 4. First of all I again removed the 1,5x1,5 mm of tie profiles already glued together, since with exact view in some photos it had noticed to me that the tie profiles lay more deeply than the vertical profiles and therefore flatter profiles must be.

And in such a way my Side 4 looks thereby now:

Now only some angle profiles 1,5x1,5 mm (smaller does not give it unfortunately) are missing to still few smaller lines, and then naturally still the LOX- and LH2-Pipes with the mounting plates in each case around the access doors. And on the back (Side 3) are likewise only missing the angle profiles. Thus it pleases me slowly complete well.

For a change I have made further with the Stair housing on Blast deck, which was strengthened inside again with Balsa pieces,

and afterwards on Blast deck one glued together. The door is something strengthened with cardboard.

There first still the remaining tie bars and angle profiles were to be attached to the Side 2, which I had to only still procure myself. And this Side 2 should really have it in itself.

Here again to the memory the initial state, only with vertical profiles just:

The angle profiles are in each case as verge around all access doors of the MLP sides as well as around the four instrumentation interface panel, how just was to be seen.

For the horizontal angle profiles above and underneath the doors and panels I took the smallest available plastic profiles 1,5x1,5 mm and am for the still smaller vertical angle profiles laterally the doors and panels 1x1 mm of profiles from brass, that genuinly already considerable mites.

Thus I had due to the mixture technology from cardboard kit and plastic parts, selected of me for MLP and Crawler, inevitably first only again into the spray booth, since before the subsequent treatment all parts must be painted. That is a small however substantial difference to the generally usual pure plastic construction way, with which under normal conditions everything can afterwards be installed and glued together and one paints. And when the assembling of the before painted components signs of usage of tweezers and other aids often cannot be avoided despite all caution, why then afterwards again must be repaired.

And in such a way the Side 2 looks now with all along and tie bars (nearly finished):

And here two detail opinions:

And now it goes on to the opposite Side 4, in principle yes a similar venture, which concerns the profiles, but however with a small delicacy.

Therefore in addition at first this small brainteaser:

In the foreground unfortunately nearly not to recognize because of the blur and only to suspect with something trouble: the 1x1 mm angle profiles (brass), behind it four small doors as well as two further downspouts for the gutters.

And thus to the actual puzzle question:

For what might the ribbon be good and what's behind them?

Last edited by spacerunner; 09-16-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
Manfred stop teasing and show us the pics
:D
Google Adsense