PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-05-2019, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
I love seeing that signature penny..!

Fabulous work, pal!!!
Old 11-06-2019, 01:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Thanks Marcell for looking in on me again.
He always keeps following me, I just cannot let him go.
Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 11-07-2019, 11:31 AM

Hello everybody,

in the meantime I have completed the remaining CT Parts (Parts 4-6) and glued the lateral edge onto the Slant (Part 3.4), that is made from Evergreen Sheet Styrene (0,13 mm), which is very thin but noticeably in contrast.

The upper Disk (Part 6) is the same size as on the other side Ø 2 mm x 0,3 mm, and for the Slant (Part 5) and the Plate (Part 4) I have each used an Evergreen strip (1 mm x 1,5 mm).

For gluing the disc on the slant, it was again fixed centrally between two steel rulers.

So far, so good.

Next, I actually wanted to glue the Slant (Part 3.4) under the Center support (Part 2). But before that I glued the two rings on the bow of the LO2 Feedline, which one can see in this photo.

Source: NASA

For this I wrapped an Evergreen Strip (0,5 mm x 0,5 mm) around a steel rod and held it under the Hot air gun, then I've cut out two short segments, which were glued between the two Feedline Brackets, wherewith these details get done now too.

Then the slant was glued under the Center support, which extends to the LH2 Cable Tray under the Crossbeam. And that was also the expected delicate matter both for my eagle eyes (+ Headset magnifying glass), as well as for my quiet hand to place this part with the tweezers exactly as possible straightaway, what fortunately worked quite well.

After that I immediately tried on the bow and checked its position in the contact zone under the center support and to the slant, and corrected its position still minimally.

At the rear end of the slant now this CT-bow must be glued, as well as on it the remaining CT-Parts (Parts 4-6), which hopefully still fit in between.

Following that, I will then bend the end piece of the GO2 Press. Line also from a Nickel-silver rod (Ø 0,4 mm), which goes from the last Ice Frost Ramp up to the Umbilical plate, but for the time will being not glued. The remaining GO2 Press. Line forwards up to the LO2 Tank will then later be installed as a separate line.

That's it for today, dear folks, and thanks for watching.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:18 AM

Hello friends,

after the bow has fitted quite well, I then have glued it under the center support with the front slant and aligned immediately.

When trying on the upper assembly group Parts (4-6), I unfortunately had to realize that this was a bit too high and did not fit into the gap. Therefore, the upper disc had to be removed again and the slant slightly shortened. After gluing a new disc, the group was then glued into the gap and also aligned.

Now I'm jolly glad that I also managed this tricky LO2 Umbilical, and am amazed that it come off quite well, as I think. And since it is quite similar to the original, the considerable effort was well worth it.
Next, as already announced, I will now bend and adjust the end fitting of the GO2 Press. Line.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:50 AM

Hello friends,

then I'll continue with my pull-ups on the LO2 Umbilical. But before I'll bend the end piece of the GO2 Press. Line, at first still to a last detail, which I wanted to leave out first, because I did not think it was that important.

And that's this Bracket for guiding/stabilizing the Press. Line, which is mostly hidden on the photos and not completely visible,

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (DaveS)

which is why I had to feel my way step by step, i.e. image by image.

In this photo one can see the oblique position on the inside of the Cable Tray, but otherwise one is groping in the dark.

Here one can see already in more detail that these are two thin narrow struts, which are connected at both ends,

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

what one can also see in this picture, from which I have determined the necessary dimensions.

On my first try, I glued Evergreen Strips (0,25 mm x 0,75 mm x 5 mm) together, using Strips (0,25 mm x 0,4 mm) as a spacer. But since the spacing for the Press. Line-Nickel silver rod (Ø 0,4 mm) seemed to be a bit too small,

I've adjusted it for the second try by gluing Strips (0,25 mm x 0,5 mm),

what comes already closer to the real conditions and looks better.

When test fitting the bracket, however, it turned out that it was a bit too long, since it should end at the height of the upper ring on the Feedline.

that's why I've shortened it by one strip width (0,5 mm),

which looks more pleasing,

and above all fits better into the mould, and thus could be glued in this position by means of MEK.

With that I can now bend the end piece of the GO2 Press. Line and its three Fittings, what should be a bit simpler than at the GH2 Press. Line on the other side, I hope at least.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:00 AM

Hi everybody,

so then to bending and installation of the end piece of the GO2 Press. Line.

First of all, it is necessary to know the preliminary end point of this gas line in order to be able to start bending, but this time it is relatively easy, since behind the last Ice Frost Ramp from the Newware Kit (R25) there are only two bends in the pipe.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

That's why I've used again my often shown ingenious Reference drawing from the recommendable ET Bible (System Definition Handbook SLWT - Lockheed Martin), from which one can take the exact location of the GO2 Press. Line (light blue) and of the GH[sub]2[/sub] Press. Line (red) direct next to the LO2 Feedline (dark blue).

Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. II (Lockheed Martin)

And these three angles I've drawn into a 1:144 drawing of the ET cross section, and layed one of the 14 following Ramps (R23), in which both Press. Lines run up to the Intertank.

In this image, in front of it lays the last Ramp (R25), whose position next to the feedline is crucial for bending the GO2 Press. Line.

In order to determine their position as accurately as possible and to be able to transfer to the ET circumference, I have marked corresponding markings for all three lines on a Masking tape (1 mm).

This tape I've glued onto the ET and then threaded a short piece of the Press. Line (Nickel silver Ø 0,4 mm) through the Umbilical plate and the Bracket , as well as provisionally layed a longer piece of the line onto the tank.

In order to be able to determine the distances of the lines from each other as well as from the last ramp as exactly as possible, I have threaded the Ramp R25, as well as four Ramps R23 to the front, and have fixed the line in this position with tape.

Afterwards the distance of both lines is approx. 2 mm, which agrees well with the distance determined from photos,

with which I could actually bend the short piece of the line.

But to relax the eyes stressed out by the macro shots is here a look from the normal viewer's perspective.

And since I was curious, I immediately made a first test-bending with a Copper dummy (Ø 0,4 mm), and as one can see here, the result looks already quite useful.

Similarly, I'll now next bend the same line piece of Nickel silver (Ø 0,4 mm) and then also attach the three Fittings made of insulating tube, wherewith then the LO2 Umbilical would have been finished.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:01 AM

Hello friends,

today I have bent the end piece of the GO2 Press. Line made of Nickel silver (Ø 0,4 mm). But as one can see, while bending the wire in the tweezers too sharp bends arise in comparison to the copper wire, which is much more flexible (ductile), what I did not particularly like.

That's why I've used my round-nose pliers, and lo and behold, then therewith gentler curves succeed,

just as one can see it on this photo.

Then the test fitting on the Umbilical came, which was expectedly tricky, because I had to thread the longer upper part of the wire first from below through the narrow Bracket and then had to insert it into the opening of the Umbilical plate.

Then I also still managed to insert the shorter piece in the rearmost Ramp (R25), in front of which the long GO2 Press. Line had been inserted.

Then I've also still cut the tiny Fittings from the thin Insulating hose (Ø 0,7 mm) in a known manner,

and have subsequently threaded the Press. Line, wherewith I am very satisfied for now.

But now the exciting question arises, how I should install this ringed end piece now best, since the upper ring cannot pass the narrow bracket?

Consequently, the ring must be removed before threading the wire in the holder and then re-fit without breaking off anything around. But how can one does it for heaven's sake in this cramped space, especially since the normal threading is already absolutely stressful, and one has to take care hell-bent, that the tiny midget does not jump?

Therefore good advice is expensive, but maybe someone of you has a good idea that would help me?
In this sense, volunteers please step forward!

Old 11-12-2019, 01:17 AM

Hello everybody,

at first, I've imagined of cutting open the tiny ring with the cutter, and then slipping it like a clip over the installed wire at its place close underneath the Umbilical Plate and to glue there.
But the ring is really damn small, approx. Ø 0,7 mm x 0,5 mm, and can hardly be held with the sharpest tweezer.
But then I've thought about the following bold solution.

My previous skepticism regarding the threading of the ring on the Press. Line was based on my up to now realized Mounting perspective. But then I came up with the idea to simply reverse the perspective and turn the Attachment upside down.

With that, the Umbilical plate lays below, and the ring would not fall down immediately, if one handle it carefully enough to place it over the opening.

And that's exactly what I did. First, I threaded the two lower rings in front of and behind the bend, and then introduced the line from above through the Bracket.

Then I threaded the upper ring onto a very thin Insect needle (Ø 0,25 mm) and inserted it next to the Bracket into the opening of the [color=blue ]Plate[/color].

Then I carefully pushed the ring with the cutter tip to the plate and pulled out the needle very slowly, so that the ring came to lie directly on the opening.

And then I held my breath and gently inserted the slightly sharpened line with the tweezer through the ring into the opening until the point under the plate appeared, with which my stunt was indeed successful.

And this is how the Attachment on the ET looks from both sides.

Now the Press. line can still be aligned a bit and glued in this position in the Umbilical plate and with the Bracket, whereby it would then finally fixed.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
Great detail

would love to see the finished product.

Good luck and godspeed!

Duke out!
Old 11-13-2019, 02:41 AM

Thanks surfduke for your nice compliments and wishes,

and stay tuned.