PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-10-2020, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Thanks Marcell,

for the rings on the Aft Dome I've used a different tape roll to have the complete roll from Jammydog available for the long front part of the LH2 Tank.

Unfortunately, I had already ordered the next role 0,75 mm, but maybe I should still tell him my complaint, maybe he will be accommodating ...

Your second guess regarding the thickness is also out of the question, since the tape is only 0,03 mm thick/thin.

But never mind, as we Germans say, "I will already kill the pig even if him squeaks", you understand ...

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
Old 05-10-2020, 05:15 PM

Hello everybody,
it has finally been done!
After a winding time of approx. 40 min. I was finally at the front end of the LH2 Tank, whereby now a 140 ring spiral is glued.

These are indeed a few more rings than I had counted on my reference photo of the ET-8, but what the hell, my ET is lastly also an unique just like all other ETs flown ...

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

And as one can see, there is even some tape left on the reel, which is not enough for the LO2 Tank, which is why I have to wait now for the subsequent delivery.
Therefore, I can now turn towards the recesses for attachments such as Ice Frost Ramps and PAL Ramps.

Last edited by spacerunner; 05-11-2020 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Great work!
Old 05-11-2020, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Fantastic Manfred. A lot of work but you can already see what a huge difference it is going to make to the tank.

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 05-11-2020, 05:27 PM

Thanks Marcell and Kevin for following me on this long way.

If the flour coated patterns after priming and painting turn out the way I imagine it to look, it should look rather cool.

Therefore stay tuned my friends and keep your fingers pressed.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:27 PM

Hello everybody,

and with that I've now continued.

The starting point was this photo of the ET-121 at the RTF mission STS-114, on which I already had determined the distances of the Ice Frost Ramps for the Airfix LH2 Tank,

Source: NASA

which I've marked as an orientation guide on the LH2 Cable Tray. On this I had provisionally attached 5 of the 14 Ice Ramps R23 (No. 1, 2, 6, 10, 14) as support points, through which I had threaded in the GO2 Press. Line (Ø 0,4 mm). For a more stable hold of this structure I fixed four ramps with tape strips,

and then have marked the position of the remaining ramps one after the other,

what was not that easy due to the instability of the strand.

After I had removed the strand and put a ruler on the lower edges of the ramp markings, I was able to compensate certain differences in position and trace them.

Then I've cut out the contact areas with the cutter and masked them with tape.

Then all that was missing was cutting out and masking of the contact surface for the LH2 PAL Ramp,

what's done here.

Then I noticed that I had forgotten the last single Ramp (R25), which is circled in yellow in this image.

Source: NASA

And as it is, this darn thing actually fell out of my hand and onto the floor as a crowning conclusion when trying on, so that I was able to search again on all fours ...

Luckily, I found the ramp again and was able to cut out and mask its contact area, all's well that ends well!

Now are still missing the two individual Ramps (R24) for the GH2 Press. Line that can be seen in this image,

Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)

which here are threaded onto the Press. Line and can be marked.

So much for today.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.87 GB
Any models of the et transporter as seen in one of the photos
Daverocket
Old 05-13-2020, 04:40 PM

Can you post a link to your ET Transporter photos?

Old 05-14-2020, 04:38 PM

Hello everybody,

today also the contact areas for the two R24 Ramps have been cut out and masked.

There they are laying now and waiting for the jump - Woe !!!

And since the additional delivery of the 0,75 mm Tape has arrived,

I can now turn to the Barber Pole Spiral on the LO2 Tank, whose rings I counted some time ago whereby I came up to 66 Rings.

And that's roughly the area in which the 12th Ice Ramp (R20) is located. The subsequent lighter area appears to be a specially applied Closeout which has no Pattern Texture.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)
Since everything has been clarified so far as, I can start gluing the Tape spiral tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:59 PM

Hello everybody,

before I started with the LO2 Tape spirale, I've once again checked the dimensions of the LH2/LO2 Cable Trays by using some photos and drawings, which are the same in the Newware Kit (0,75 mm x 1 mm), but in reality obviously not, as I've found out meanwhile.

Starting point of my doubts about the correctness of some details of the otherwise very good kit was the diameter of the GH2/GO2 Press. Lines, for which the enclosed Evergreen rods (Ø 0,5 mm) should be used.

In reality both Press. Lines, however, have a diameter of 2'' (50,8 mm), whence in 1/144 scale a diameter of 0,35 mm results. Now one could be generous and do without the few tenths of a millimeter, but if, like me, you scale other parts on the basis of this reference dimension, this makes it noticeable already, especially since the proportions of such small parts should be consistent.

That was also the reason why the enclosed Rectangular strip (0,75 mm x 1 mm) for the LH2/LO2 Cable Trays seemed a bit too big for me at first.

Then I've remembered (ICD Drawings) on the website of George Gassaway, which includes also drawings of various Ice/Frost Ramps from the early LWT Era both on the LH2 Tank and on the LO2 Tank included.

On this drawing of an Ice ramp on the LH2 Tank I determined the Cable Tray dimensions based on the existing dimensions, which with 0,7 mm x 0,9 mm actually correspond to those of the Newware Kit's Cable Tray.

So far so good!

According to this drawing of an Ice ramp on the LO2 Tank the local Cable Tray should be a bit smaller, namely 0,5 mm x 0,75 mm, which initially surprised me.

That's why I wanted to know whether the Cable Trays on the ET-8 actually have different dimensions and check them.

To do this, I first determined the width of the LH2 Cable Tray on my ET-8 Reference photo at high magnification, for which I used as reference measure the diameter of the GH2 Press. Line (Ø 0,35 mm), which is 1,0 mm.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (woods170)

From the same photo I've determined the width of the LO2 Cable Tray, which is actually smaller and with 0,7 mm corresponds to the width from the drawing.

Accordingly, I will use an Evergreen strip (0,5 mm x 0,75 mm) for the local Cable Tray.

Afterwards I've turned to the Tape spiral on the LO2 Tank.

First I've marked the end point of the spiral with the help of this drawing from the Newware Kit,

which, as already said, should lay near by the front 12th Ice Ramp (R20),

where the spiral should end.

At this marking I've glued an end ring, so to speak as a finish line!!!

Last edited by spacerunner; 05-23-2020 at 05:14 AM.