PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-08-2020, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Thanks David,
yeah, that's the thrilling and crucial question in the end.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Last edited by spacerunner; 06-08-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:16 PM

Hello everybody,

meanwhile I have airbrushed the primed Intertank-Dummy, which has been sanded on one side, in order to assess both the effect of the floured Tape structure and that of the sanding effect of the flour layer, whereby there were problems with the sprayability of the selected Vallejo Model Air 71.077 - Wood, which surprised me.

But everything one by one.

First a look at my airbrush equipment, this is the Compressor with pressure tank (3 liters) and the high-quality Triplex Spray Gun.

First I've sprayed a few tests, on the left with the Vallejo Model Air 71.077, and later also with the Vallejo Model Color 70.981 Orange Brown.

The color difference to my former samples is immediately noticeable, in which the same color sample of the Intertank looked much darker. The basis at that time, however, was the somewhat modified color pattern, as one can see on the homepage of the provider, which actually looks a little different.

But also the color of the test-drops at the time looked stronger, which is why the sprayed Airbrush color is ultimately decisive for the assessment, which in turn also depends on the thickness or covering power of the layer, which I will have to pay more attention to in the future.

Then I've started airbrushing the IT Dummy and was surprised when, despite the filled color cup, suddenly there were no color spray, and the gun was clogged and had to be cleaned completely.

Although the IT area shown has not gotten evenly much color, the result for the assessment of the SOFI Texture effect is completely sufficient for now, with which I can be quite satisfied,

because it comes very close to my previous ideas. In my opinion, the pattern structure looks quite realistic and is also gently adapted to the scale.

This is an image from a distance of approx. 30 cm, on which one can only just see the texture.

On this comparison of the macro shots, one can see that the half that has been slightly sanded after priming (top) looks a little more pleasing, which is why I am still considering whether the effort of smoothing is really worth it, but probably already.

And here is my photo montage at that time with the now painted tank area, which in my opinion fits the ET-8 original photo pretty well,

or what do you mean?
Now I've just to take a closer look at the problem of the lack of sprayability of my Vallejo paints and test them once again first.

Last edited by spacerunner; 06-20-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Looks convincing....
Old 06-12-2020, 05:42 AM

Thanks David,
meanwhile I know that I can also implement my initially dreamy idea of the admittedly tricky SOFI Texture fairly realistically, what pushes me further, ever further, ever further ...

Old 06-12-2020, 08:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Color wise Manfred. I believe you nailed it. Ive never seen a model ET look this good.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:57 PM

Thanks Ed for your nice compliment,
this snapshot looks very promising, but we haven't yet seen the end of the matter, we say in Germany.
The entire ET is already still a little bit longer than this IT Dummy, but I'm very confident, that I can do it.

Old 06-14-2020, 01:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Hi Manfred

I think the sofi is really coming on amazingly.

With regard to the "sanding", to me the sanded version does look slightly better than the unsanded version (which is still terrific). I suspect that even though it is a lot more work you will go for the sanded version because once you know you can do something a bit "better" then why not. After all, isn't that part of the fun, figuring out how to do things and then making then happen?

A thought on the final colour is, we sometimes forget that, as humans, physical objects change colour to our eyes/brains even though the same wavelength of light is entering our eyes. What is placed next to the object can affect how our brains "decide" what colour the object is. I think your colour matching is great. If you stood a real ET tank next to your model you will always find areas that do not seem to quite match colour-wise, yet viewed at a different angle or next to something different those places would match.

Anyway it goes without saying (but I am going to say it), amazing job!

That is just my two pence worth

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 06-14-2020, 07:27 AM

Thanks Kevin,

Therefore I have to deal with the sprayability of the Vallejo paints even more closely and test some options with Vallejo Thinner und Drying Retarder, because with a failed paint job one can ruin everything.

And this risk I definitely want to avoid, because the previous effort was simply too great. And the different effect of color shades is a chapter in itself.

Last edited by spacerunner; 06-14-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Fantastic!!!
Old 06-14-2020, 02:57 PM

Thanks Marcell,

I think, that I have to deal with this Airbrush paint problem more closely.

Meanwhile I've found this great video Thinning and spraying Vallejo Model Color and Model Air, which I have to study, that gives me hope to understand everything a little bit better.